Miami Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Miami?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well we are playing good baseball and have a shot at the NCAAT. Of course Charlie Brown is laughing at us and waiting.

This weekend 6PM, 4PM and 1PM scheduled times for Miami. Weather looks ok and low chance of rain delays, if any should be brief if forecast holds.

Miami has had a tough season., 7-14 in ACC and trending down lately. Hopefully we keep that trend going. If we play like we have the last 3 weekends, I think we take 2 most likely. Then 3 wins next most likely, then 1 win. So I'll go with 2. No game notes yet @ https://ramblinwreck.com/2024-baseball-game-notes/

1713984425496.png

1713984654665.png

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
If the target is 6 more wins, the cleanest route is a sweep of Miami and 1-2 vs Duke, FSU, and Clemson.

I like us to get to .500 or better, but sweeps are hard. I'm picking two here, and we show out against Duke.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If the target is 6 more wins, the cleanest route is a sweep of Miami and 1-2 vs Duke, FSU, and Clemson.

I like us to get to .500 or better, but sweeps are hard. I'm picking two here, and we show out against Duke.
By my count it's 9: Need 6 ACC regular season wins, Mercer, 2 ACCT wins. Just win Jackets and all else will take care of itself!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone looks like they think we have little chance against the remainder of our schedule. But how many of those same people thought we would go into UVA and take 2 out of three pretty convincingly. They were a top 10 team but we looked like the better team all weekend. They were lucky not to get swept by us.

Watching us the past few weeks we appear to be a team that is improving and peaking at the right time. On offense we are what we have been for years, a team that is dangerous up and down the lineup. The injury to Giesler may have been the best thing that has happened to the team this year. It gave opportunities to multiple players that may not have seen much time this season otherwise. It gave us the opportunity to build some depth to the roster. Now I'm not nervous if we see Jaros or Kerce on the field. Plus we have Zmarzlak who can swap with Brosius in RF or DH. Then we have Cam Jones who can play anywhere which gives us the flexibility to adjust the lineup as needed.

On the mound it looks like we can depend on both Finateri and Jones to gives us quality starts most weekends. Both Patel and Hill have shown vast improvement recently. The key to our success may come down to if one or both of them can consistently pitch like they have the past week. I strangely don't have a feeling of despair these days if we need to go to the bullpen. Not like the past few years. We have Thomas who has been able to give us a few good innings pretty consistently. Guys like Barfield and Brown are looking pretty dependable. Hopefully a move back to the bullpen will give us the McKee we saw earlier in the season. And Patel remains another option from the pen. Get Busse straightened out and we have a lot of options.

Then there is our defense which has become a big strength for the team. I have heard opposing announcers say more than once that the Tech defense has been a plus for us this year. We have an outfield that can absolutely go get the ball whether it is Burress in center or Younger in left or Brosius in right. Coach Hall has called Jones the best defensive first baseman he has had in a long time. Bechetti at second (and even Kerce) shows great range and an accurate arm. We have guys at third, whether it is Giesler, Jaros or Kerce that have been making Sportscaster top ten plays. What was a problem last year is now a team strength. It was something coach Hall emphasized before the season and I have to give him credit for being able to put that product on the field.

I guess basically what I have been saying in this post is everyone is afraid the team will revert back to old and we will see the inconsistent Tech that we have become used to over recent years. I, however, believe this is a team that has come through some adversity and is now a different team than earlier in the year. So take whatever these outside prognosticators have to say about the remainder of our season and ignore them. Predictions made using models based on a different Tech team than the one we have seen the past few weeks should be ignored. We have taken the series against the first two ranked teams (one at home and the other on the road) and I see no reason we can't continue to do so against the remaining teams on our schedule. Whatever happens, I am excited going into each game knowing we have a decent chance to win it. I haven't felt like that in a while so I think I'm going to enjoy the ride.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everyone looks like they think we have little chance against the remainder of our schedule. But how many of those same people thought we would go into UVA and take 2 out of three pretty convincingly. They were a top 10 team but we looked like the better team all weekend. They were lucky not to get swept by us.

Watching us the past few weeks we appear to be a team that is improving and peaking at the right time. On offense we are what we have been for years, a team that is dangerous up and down the lineup. The injury to Giesler may have been the best thing that has happened to the team this year. It gave opportunities to multiple players that may not have seen much time this season otherwise. It gave us the opportunity to build some depth to the roster. Now I'm not nervous if we see Jaros or Kerce on the field. Plus we have Zmarzlak who can swap with Brosius in RF or DH. Then we have Cam Jones who can play anywhere which gives us the flexibility to adjust the lineup as needed.

On the mound it looks like we can depend on both Finateri and Jones to gives us quality starts most weekends. Both Patel and Hill have shown vast improvement recently. The key to our success may come down to if one or both of them can consistently pitch like they have the past week. I strangely don't have a feeling of despair these days if we need to go to the bullpen. Not like the past few years. We have Thomas who has been able to give us a few good innings pretty consistently. Guys like Barfield and Brown are looking pretty dependable. Hopefully a move back to the bullpen will give us the McKee we saw earlier in the season. And Patel remains another option from the pen. Get Busse straightened out and we have a lot of options.

Then there is our defense which has become a big strength for the team. I have heard opposing announcers say more than once that the Tech defense has been a plus for us this year. We have an outfield that can absolutely go get the ball whether it is Burress in center or Younger in left or Brosius in right. Coach Hall has called Jones the best defensive first baseman he has had in a long time. Bechetti at second (and even Kerce) shows great range and an accurate arm. We have guys at third, whether it is Giesler, Jaros or Kerce that have been making Sportscaster top ten plays. What was a problem last year is now a team strength. It was something coach Hall emphasized before the season and I have to give him credit for being able to put that product on the field.

I guess basically what I have been saying in this post is everyone is afraid the team will revert back to old and we will see the inconsistent Tech that we have become used to over recent years. I, however, believe this is a team that has come through some adversity and is now a different team than earlier in the year. So take whatever these outside prognosticators have to say about the remainder of our season and ignore them. Predictions made using models based on a different Tech team than the one we have seen the past few weeks should be ignored. We have taken the series against the first two ranked teams (one at home and the other on the road) and I see no reason we can't continue to do so against the remaining teams on our schedule. Whatever happens, I am excited going into each game knowing we have a decent chance to win it. I haven't felt like that in a while so I think I'm going to enjoy the ride.

I agree with your logic, but logic doesn't apply to GT sports. I'll keep my expectations low and hopes high.
1714061731899.png

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Yeah man we’re good enough to sweep anybody if our pitching has a good series and sloppy enough to get swept by anybody if our pitching has a bad series.

But I’m not going into any of these remaining series worried whether or not we can stack up. Every one of them is a toss up to me. We have the horses, just a matter of we’re on that day or not.

We might end up the most talented team in a region as the 3 seed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah man we’re good enough to sweep anybody if our pitching has a good series and sloppy enough to get swept by anybody if our pitching has a bad series.

But I’m not going into any of these remaining series worried whether or not we can stack up. Every one of them is a toss up to me. We have the horses, just a matter of we’re on that day or not.

We might end up the most talented team in a region as the 3 seed.
Getting way ahead of myself... but perhaps "earning" a west of Mississippi 2 or 3 seed is just what doctor ordered.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s either is really young or has some big brass ones.

My money’s on @78pike being a bit on the brassy side.
Neither young nor brassy. Just believe what my eyes have been seeing the past few weeks. We are not the same team. Could we lose.....sure, we have some tough teams we have to play. But my point is that we have improved in many areas since the beginning of the season. We have a nice mix of young guys that don't know any better and veterans that know how to win. Plus, we just look like a baseball team. Guys like Ellis, Yunger, Bichetti and even Burress look like they wake up and rub dirt on their hands and walk around with grass stains on their pants all day.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Neither young nor brassy. Just believe what my eyes have been seeing the past few weeks. We are not the same team. Could we lose.....sure, we have some tough teams we have to play. But my point is that we have improved in many areas since the beginning of the season. We have a nice mix of young guys that don't know any better and veterans that know how to win. Plus, we just look like a baseball team. Guys like Ellis, Yunger, Bichetti and even Burress look like they wake up and rub dirt on their hands and walk around with grass stains on their pants all day.
I think you're saying what we're all thinking. I really like this team, win or lose they're easy to root for. Gritty, scrappy bunch that doesn't seem to have a lot of drama in the locker room. They've taken roster changes in stride, seemingly made good adjustments as the season went along.

Today is game 1 of a very important series. Gotta have 2 otherwise the odds start getting mightly slim with the level of competition upcoming.