Mercer Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
-The final first half TD showed me we could have scored 50 if we kept JT in.
Exactly this. I was starting to hear Brent Musburger in my ear from the Orange Bowl, "They can't stop him, folks." CPJ saw what he needed to see and decided he didn't need to prove anything else. Keep him fresh for the big games.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth regarding MJ's reads. CPJ in his presser said he told him to "got after him" to get up field with the ball, so he doesn't blame him for not getting the ball outside. Sounds like we were trying to be very conservative and not have any turnovers.

Milwaukee

Banned
For what it's worth regarding MJ's reads. CPJ in his presser said he told him to "got after him" to get up field with the ball, so he doesn't blame him for not getting the ball outside. Sounds like we were trying to be very conservative and not have any turnovers.

Thought this was interesting as well. PJ mentioned that he basically told him to keep it, and he acknowledged that he should've pitched a few. I feel better knowing that my eyes weren't deceiving me as I thought the pitch was there multiple times, but I also feel better knowing that MJ was playing the game the coaches wanted him to play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why but when I changed from watching on my pc to watching on my wife's mac, it came in clear as a bell with no breakups at all. Could not do anything about the repetitive commercials, however.
The only network worse in this instance would be MLB. Trying to watch major league baseball on that channel is dodging visual landmines: flashing, jarring, teenage graphics, headlines and advertising across the bottom, schedules and advertising to the right, and tucked in the left corner, maybe some ball, but with an occasional icon flashing. It can fairly be said about the broadcast media that once they find a good thing, they will maximize profit until they kill it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't it less than a year ago when Johnson was critical of him for not pitching it? Or have I reversed it?

I rewatched the first half last night (my ACC Network feed made our players into lego men - but only for the GT game and not other WatchESPN games). A few thoughts:

The O was pretty good.
  • Only one punt the entire game (and a fake one). So they didn't stop us.
  • We stopped ourselves with two turnovers. The second stripping Q of the ball was on the rest of our team too, IMHO, as there were 4 or 5 Bears mugging Q and no one on our team was in there to help push the pile. I think the play should have been whistled dead, but regardless it was a fumble.
  • Our passing game is looking a lot better this year with more accurate throws, time to throw and good hands by all the receivers.
  • What I really wanted to see in the replay is where JT got hurt, if he did. I saw him limping before half but he looked fine up to the last long throw with :12 in the half. So he should be good to go next week. Need to save him since it's a long season and the hits are only going to get more intense.
The ST was very good. Did about all you could ask except for big returns. I'll do a play by play breakdown but we were very solid in all but one area.

The D was not very good; but Mercer was making good plays. Accurate passing and good hands. The one screen catch of the ball one handed by cupping the end of the ball was sick. From what I watched of the VT game, the Mercer offense is better than VT. They didn't kill themselves.

A win is a win and we did it going away as we should have. I'm savoring any win since I think we are going to have to really scrap to make a bowl game this year. But 2-0 is as good as it gets.
We also had a "real" punt....a shank that got a lucky (for us) bounce

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't it less than a year ago when Johnson was critical of him for not pitching it? Or have I reversed it?

You are right...critical for not pitching but IMO the goal right now is to overcome the turnover bug (6 miscues in the Miami game), build some confidence in MJ, and use him in relief of JT to pound the other team and pound in the red zone. CPJ expressed confidence in MJ and seems to be developing him slowly: (1) get comfortable running the ball and not fumbling, (2) make correct reads and good pitches, and (3) pass. We were still on (1) against Mercer.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Matt FortunaESPN
Today marked the third time under Paul Johnson that Georgia Tech didn't attempt a pass in a half, according to ESPN Stats & Info. The Yellow Jackets ran the ball the entire second half last year against Alcorn State and in 2008 against Georgia.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
The one screen catch of the ball one handed by cupping the end of the ball was sick.
I was watching that play through my binoculars and nearly dropped them after seeing that catch. If that had happened earlier in the game I would have thought that the football gods were aligned against GT yet again. That was an unbelievable catch.