Mercer Postgame

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
-Qua is really distinguishing himself at A back. He has the chance for a special year.
-proud of "sticky ricky" Jeune.
-The final first half TD showed me we could have scored 50 if we kept JT in.
-Jordan has to trust his reads.
-Defense is still filling out. I think we may need to try different combos at safety and linebacker. Curry looks like an instinctive player. Gotta clean up tackling
- Kudos to the Mercer QB. That TD throw was amazing. Full speed against his body, guy in his face. We punished him, and he kept coming back.
-Special teams making it happen again. This will be huge to win close games. Just have to get the punt game down.

2-0
It gets a little tougher this week. Like many Tech teams, we will go as far as our Offense takes us. Defense needs to find the right combo to make us the best possible defense. I'm under no illusions that we'll be top 20, but we need to pick our spots to make drive killers.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I too am pleased with Sticky Ricky and Qua. They looked good. Sticky is becoming a go to receiver. Are BB's will be alright - I was looking forward to seeing Kirvonte unfortunately. P0or Skirch! I hope he gets another chance.
Taquan looks like he needs more snaps - he may have a bright future.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I too am pleased with Sticky Ricky and Qua. They looked good. Sticky is becoming a go to receiver. Are BB's will be alright - I was looking forward to seeing Kirvonte unfortunately. P0or Skirch! I hope he gets another chance.
Taquan looks like he needs more snaps - he may have a bright future.
STICKY RICKY

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Haven't the defense is awful thread but a few observations.

Tackling is poor
Hard (impossible) to get pressure on 3 step drop.
Screen finally adjusted to late. Do get why the D didn't recognize if for 3 quarters, that HAD to show in the film study.
Late change to press coverage on the outside, I like what I saw of that!
Hard to run against this D

JeT sharp as a tack, he's settling in to what we expected.
Qua is a baller, period!
O line looked miles better
Nate got his first live carry in more almost 2 years! You can see his speed and his is thick! He gets his timing on the blocking down he's go to move into the starting rotation.
We have found our go to receiver.
Brad on punt returns is a solid to excellent choice. Great hands and has the ability to make the first man miss
Matthew needs work on his keys and his comfort level with the outside game. That will come

All in all I saw what expected and think the team will continue to improve.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
#1 and the most important thing is - WE WON!!!!

- Scored on 5 of 8 possessions... Two lost fumbles and a punt on the other three.
- Qua had some nice runs, refused to go down and spun off/out of tackles. Well done.
- converted fake punt - Chase ends the day with highest ypc for GT today ;)
- blocked a FG
- D only gave up 10 points
- digs on the D are available here

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I wish we could have seen more of Cottrell. He looks the part of a physical AB. I think he got 1 carry today. I wanted to see how he blocked.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wish we could have seen more of Cottrell. He looks the part of a physical AB. I think he got 1 carry today. I wanted to see how he blocked.

First live carry in almost 2 years! Not only can he fly he's built! 195lb I would say on his 5'11" frame, I think he's going to be devastating on the edge in all phases of the game!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
-Qua is really distinguishing himself at A back. He has the chance for a special year.
-proud of "sticky ricky" Jeune.
-The final first half TD showed me we could have scored 50 if we kept JT in.
-Jordan has to trust his reads.
-Defense is still filling out. I think we may need to try different combos at safety and linebacker. Curry looks like an instinctive player. Gotta clean up tackling
- Kudos to the Mercer QB. That TD throw was amazing. Full speed against his body, guy in his face. We punished him, and he kept coming back.
-Special teams making it happen again. This will be huge to win close games. Just have to get the punt game down.

2-0
It gets a little tougher this week. Like many Tech teams, we will go as far as our Offense takes us. Defense needs to find the right combo to make us the best possible defense. I'm under no illusions that we'll be top 20, but we need to pick our spots to make drive killers.

I rewatched the first half last night (my ACC Network feed made our players into lego men - but only for the GT game and not other WatchESPN games). A few thoughts:

The O was pretty good.
  • Only one punt the entire game (and a fake one). So they didn't stop us.
  • We stopped ourselves with two turnovers. The second stripping Q of the ball was on the rest of our team too, IMHO, as there were 4 or 5 Bears mugging Q and no one on our team was in there to help push the pile. I think the play should have been whistled dead, but regardless it was a fumble.
  • Our passing game is looking a lot better this year with more accurate throws, time to throw and good hands by all the receivers.
  • What I really wanted to see in the replay is where JT got hurt, if he did. I saw him limping before half but he looked fine up to the last long throw with :12 in the half. So he should be good to go next week. Need to save him since it's a long season and the hits are only going to get more intense.
The ST was very good. Did about all you could ask except for big returns. I'll do a play by play breakdown but we were very solid in all but one area.

The D was not very good; but Mercer was making good plays. Accurate passing and good hands. The one screen catch of the ball one handed by cupping the end of the ball was sick. From what I watched of the VT game, the Mercer offense is better than VT. They didn't kill themselves.

A win is a win and we did it going away as we should have. I'm savoring any win since I think we are going to have to really scrap to make a bowl game this year. But 2-0 is as good as it gets.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
ST were arguably once again the best phase of our game. Blocked FG, all TBs on KOs and acceptable returns. Still need a punter - maybe CPJ will try that kid who was a Kicker's World All-American punter.

I thought Stewart could be a good judgement/sure fielding PR man who can make the first guy miss and get you 10 yds. So far he seems to be just that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It did take a while to break free, and Mercer keeping the ball for more than nine minutes to open the second half was not encouraging. I personally don't like the "bend but don't break" mindset since it seems to flow from passivity, but at least it is some kind of philosophy. But a friend, a Tech man no less, told me yesterday that "Mercer is for people who can't afford Emory but are too proud to go to Georgia." I know, I know. Has nothing to do with the thread. Just funny.