Mercer Bears

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I really want to see Ben S moved to the weekend rotation. This was a really good win that the team desperately needed and I have a feeling that the momentum will be carried into a BIG series this weekend (I think that we'll win 2 out of 3).
The TV announcer said that Ben S. was on a pitch count against Mercer because he is going to start Sunday against Clemson. I got the tail end of a comment about Shadday, but I believe he said Shadday will start Saturday. Can one of you confirm that?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Somebody look up how well we perform against orange teams. We may have had our best game of the season in all phases last night. With Clemson coming up, I'd like to think it's really just orange... we crush orange! (y)

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The TV announcer said that Ben S. was on a pitch count against Mercer because he is going to start Sunday against Clemson. I got the tail end of a comment about Shadday, but I believe he said Shadday will start Saturday. Can one of you confirm that?
Didn't get to watch the game; but I think that's a great idea to do right now. Hughes will be a stud pitcher for us, but he needs to regroup and get some more consistency---hopefully the reason for this change is not injury related.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Mercer is coming into Atlanta tomorrow with the best winning streak in the country at 11 wins in a row. Without looking, I'm thinking their last loss may have been at the hands of our Jackets. Not sure who will be on the mound for us---Lee, Gibson, Schneiderjans, Hughes?

Hopefully the team comes out and hits like they did at Mercer a few weeks ago.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
You need to realize that we need to win most of our remaining games to have a decent year. I don't think they have it in them, just hope someone will challenge them and provide some jerk them by the collar type leadership.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Mercer 2 - GT 1 going into the second inning.
I missed the top of the first so I am not sure how they scored their 2.
Lead off triple in the bottom leads to a sac fly for Tech to cut the lead in half.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Another pitcher on for Mercer. After two blanks in the top and bottom of the third. The Jackets have added another run in the bottom of the fourth.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we need to get hypnotist on staff, put Jake Lee in the weekend rotation, and then hypnotize him so that he believes he's coming out of the bullpen. Boom. Solved some of our pitching woes.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel like we need to get hypnotist on staff, put Jake Lee in the weekend rotation, and then hypnotize him so that he believes he's coming out of the bullpen. Boom. Solved some of our pitching woes.

He got dinked a lot - gave up 6 hits and only one was more than single. 2 walks and a strikeout over 20 batters was ok on walks .... and threw 64% strikes which is better than staff average.

Datoc looked really good on stat sheet. 5 Ks, 1 walk over 12 batters. Only 2 singles for his 0 ER. And threw 65% strikes. I think Datoc is going to be one of our better pitchers next year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Datoc looked really good on stat sheet. 5 Ks, 1 walk over 12 batters. Only 2 singles for his 0 ER. And threw 65% strikes. I think Datoc is going to be one of our better pitchers next year.
He's one of our better pitchers this year . I'd expect him to either keep the same role next season or to assume the Gorst/Ryan role from the past two seasons.

As far as relievers go right now, I don't feel terrible with Datoc, Ryan, Carpenter, Combs, and Gibson. If Curry, Shadday, Lee, and Schneiderjans can get us about 5 decent innings each game the rest of the way out, we really should do pretty well vs the rest of the schedule. Bats need to stay hot from last night and the defense needs to step up (McCann made some nice scoops at 1B last night).

I hope CDH puts Hughes on the mound as a reliever some time soon to see if he can turn it around. I hate seeing talented arms in the doghouse and not getting a chance---I'm not saying to just leave him out there if he's struggling, but a kid has to get some mound time in a game assuming he's working hard in practice and not looking too bad. It's a very mental game...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I hope CDH puts Hughes on the mound as a reliever some time soon to see if he can turn it around. I hate seeing talented arms in the doghouse and not getting a chance---I'm not saying to just leave him out there if he's struggling, but a kid has to get some mound time in a game assuming he's working hard in practice and not looking too bad. It's a very mental game...

To be fair to CDH (and I have clearly lost patience with him this season), it is hard to put a kid out there who is struggling when you are doing your best to stop a long losing streak and try to rebuild a little confidence in a team that is clearly on the verge of losing it (if it hasn't already). I would put guys like King and Hughes into games where we're behind 8-1, but not last night's game. And I think it's more important to try to get Hughes going than King, since Hughes will have another year with us...