Mercer Bears

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hope Sneiderjans can prove to be the starter we desperately need. We also need to cut down on striking out. Our hitters need to go with the pitch and get off this pull everything so you can hit a homer technique. That has proven very ineffective.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope Sneiderjans can prove to be the starter we desperately need. We also need to cut down on striking out. Our hitters need to go with the pitch and get off this pull everything so you can hit a homer technique. That has proven very ineffective.

Other than pitching, fielding and hitting, I'm confident about tonight.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I have a big problem with the pitchers we are recruiting. True, English and Hughes were big time, but both became available due to health issues with the pros. Usually, when someone is really good, they are scooped up in the draft. The trick is to single out those that are just below draftable. Most teams seem to do a better job than us in signing those pitchers. We instead take a lower level talent, and you end up with the dumpster fire, like we have in our bullpen. I really don't know if we are not targeting the right people, or just can't close on the people we need.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I have a big problem with the pitchers we are recruiting. True, English and Hughes were big time, but both became available due to health issues with the pros. Usually, when someone is really good, they are scooped up in the draft. The trick is to single out those that are just below draftable. Most teams seem to do a better job than us in signing those pitchers. We instead take a lower level talent, and you end up with the dumpster fire, like we have in our bullpen. I really don't know if we are not targeting the right people, or just can't close on the people we need.
Hughes was taken in the 2nd round though.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed the same thing. There are some guys in our lineup who just beg for low and away breaking pitches which can't be reached with a broom because the guy in the batter's box has already cleared his hips toward the closest base path. Try striding into the ball and see if that helps. But, MLB wants homeruns and power pitchers. Boring! Rant over.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If yelling at pitchers would make them throw more strikes, we should have done that like 4 seasons ago.....

Agree, yelling at pitchers is a waste of time since they are mostly mental to start.

Benching players is better than yelling. Whether for pitching, fielding or hitting. Of the three, fielding seems to me to be the most dependent on concentration and motivation. That's why our poor fielding this year is the most bothersome to me.

Well, Ben S led off the second with a hit batter who has scored. Really sucks how far we have descended this year. At least we are only down 1 after two innings.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, maybe we'll do ok .... up 5-1 (last run was unearned). Would be nice to win a game in regulation.

Ben S is having trouble finding the strike zone. After 3 he had 49 pitches and 21 strikes - that's a dismal 43%. Only 6 of 13 batters have seen first pitch strikes.

Oh well, time for dinner. Hopefully we continue. An away win against a 43 rpi team will help (we are 76).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I told y'all that it would be a different team tonight.

Yup, no errors. If all it takes if Hall showing some need for emotion / discipline, why was that not done earlier? {rhetorical}

Our RPI went from 76 to 58. Ben S did better in 4th & 5th to end the night with 54% strikes.

Now to win a series from Clemson @GT with their #6 RPI. We have to beat ACC teams at some point to get to the NCAAs. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Georgia-Tech

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yup, no errors. If all it takes if Hall showing some need for emotion / discipline, why was that not done earlier? {rhetorical}

Our RPI went from 76 to 58. Ben S did better in 4th & 5th to end the night with 54% strikes.

Now to win a series from Clemson @GT with their #6 RPI. We have to beat ACC teams at some point to get to the NCAAs. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Georgia-Tech
I really want to see Ben S moved to the weekend rotation. This was a really good win that the team desperately needed and I have a feeling that the momentum will be carried into a BIG series this weekend (I think that we'll win 2 out of 3).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really want to see Ben S moved to the weekend rotation. This was a really good win that the team desperately needed and I have a feeling that the momentum will be carried into a BIG series this weekend (I think that we'll win 2 out of 3).

Agree that we both really want to see this team get going. HAVE to get a win against Clemson this weekend as the season will be to mid-point after this weekend. Time is running out.

But I won't lie. After we beat Mercer and Bakersfield tonight, went and got another bottle of wine for my wife and me.