Memphis Tigers Disbelief

slugboy

Staff member
I think Todd Stansbury will help both with the scheduling and with culture. We used to have a "Total Person" concept at the AA. I think that'll come back. Primadonna culture doesn't work well at Tech.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty tough to schedule P5 schools in the non-conf part of the schedule now. Teams can play a max of 29 regular season games (or 27 plus an exempt tourney) Most P5 schools have expanded conference schedules (ACC is up from 14 to 18, others are similar). Most P5s go to a holiday exempt tourney where they see one or two tough games on a neutral court. Then you have the ACC-B1G challenge. You only have about 10 games left to schedule. Most of the P5s load up on lower level squads. The big boys (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Mich State, UNC, UCLA) play a handful of marquee games at neutral sites rather than at someone else's gym. I hate it, but that's the reality of the new mega-conference NCAA.

For us, that means 29 games... less 18 ACC .. less UGAG ... less B1G-ACC... only 9 games OOC to schedule. For teams that play in an exempt tourney, the math is worse... 27 less 18 less ACC-B1G (or similar) leaves 8 OOC games (ignoring any potential local rivals like UGAG).

I think we could schedule some really solid teams for home and away (we already have with VCU). We also get UGAG every year. If we upgrade our 250+ RPI games with 100 - 150 RPI games, our SOS goes up and so does our profile (if we win). Would be great to see us continue to play VCU and add another good mid-major or mid-level P5. It will also be nice when the holiday tourneys start inviting us again.... boondoggles to the Caribbean over Thanksgiving and Christmas are always nice!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We play UCLA to open the season in China next year.

If expectations go up, we'll get better B1G teams in the Challenge.

If we play at Kansas some day, I won't pass up the next chance to go to Phog. I passed when we played on New Year's Day years ago. A mistake in retrospect.

I don't think it will be Pitt under Dixon or VT under Greenberg, but I'm not sure Pastner has a history of scheduling tough OOC.

When I was on a tour of Turkey several years ago, my tour leader, when I told him I was a Georgia Tech fan, said that he was very familiar with Yellow Jacket (he used that term) basketball from watching Tech games on TV during the Cremins years. Needless to say, I was stunned. I mentioned something about our number one rival, Georgia, and he said he had never heard of them. I LOVED that comment. The fact is, Tech is known world-wide.

cincyjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
When I was on a tour of Turkey several years ago, my tour leader, when I told him I was a Georgia Tech fan, said that he was very familiar with Yellow Jacket (he used that term) basketball from watching Tech games on TV during the Cremins years. Needless to say, I was stunned. I mentioned something about our number one rival, Georgia, and he said he had never heard of them. I LOVED that comment. The fact is, Tech is known world-wide.

One of my roommates at Tech was Turkish, so I was exposed to his Turkish friends at Tech. There are more Turk students at Tech than most realize.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of fanbases harbor negative feelings towards certain ex-coaches. It happens.

However, I don't think I've ever seen the level/obsession/consistency that Memphis fans have with Pastner. Especially with Facebook and Twitter. I don't think I can go through one pro-GT/pastner tweet and not find some aac loser trolling to death. The Georgia tech basketball page on FB is the same way.

At this point it's gotten incredibly bizarre and strange.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of fanbases harbor negative feelings towards certain ex-coaches. It happens.

However, I don't think I've ever seen the level/obsession/consistency that Memphis fans have with Pastner. Especially with Facebook and Twitter. I don't think I can go through one pro-GT/pastner tweet and not find some aac loser trolling to death. The Georgia tech basketball page on FB is the same way.

At this point it's gotten incredibly bizarre and strange.

I made the analogy in another thread. It's like someone dating a girl and thinking they can do better. Once they break up with her, and see her doing well and dating someone else who's successful, they get jealous so they resort to talking sh!t about her to justify their own insecurities.

Memphis has a good coach in Tubby. It was probably best for Memphis and Pastner to separate. Delete your ex's phone number, defriend them on social media, and put their old photos and things in the trash can. Move on folks...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I want no part of either of those kids and their pimp daddy. I have zero doubt that CJP learned a valuable lesson about that sort of recruitment. Doubt he ever dips into that well again.

I doubt they end up at GT but I also get the feeling that they aren't going to end up following dad. My hunch is that dad goes back to a highschool somewhere and the brothers transfer somewhere else. Like I said, nothing concrete. Just a hunch.