Media Selects GT to Win Coastal; JT Picked 3rd for Preseason MVP

Milwaukee

Banned
It's the same old story, the football factories get all the blue chip 5* recruits so they always get the benefit of the doubt.

I'll take a 3* athlete with heart, attitude and team chemistry over a 5* prima donna every day of the week and twice on Sundays ...

We need to aim higher as a football program. We need the 4* and 5* kids that have heart, attitude, and team chemistry. Unfortunately most Tech fans call out 4 & 5 star kids for not being "character" simply because we can't land them and they choose to go to a power.

I want to see the day where we get those kids and the other fanbases are the ones moaning.

Long story short: blue chippers aren't all prima donnas. We need to be landing them just like Notre Dame lands them, and we simply have not been able to do it.

We could win titles with this coaching staff if we could recruit better. I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I absolutely love our players no matter 1* or 3*, but we could recruit better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We need to aim higher as a football program. We need the 4* and 5* kids that have heart, attitude, and team chemistry. Unfortunately most Tech fans call out 4 & 5 star kids for not being "character" simply because we can't land them and they choose to go to a power.

I want to see the day where we get those kids and the other fanbases are the ones moaning.

Long story short: blue chippers aren't all prima donnas. We need to be landing them just like Notre Dame lands them, and we simply have not been able to do it.

We could win titles with this coaching staff if we could recruit better. I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I absolutely love our players no matter 1* or 3*, but we could recruit better.

You are a much better person and fan than most Tech fans. We are humbled and privileged to have you in our midst.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They have always had more talent on paper than us, thats nothing new. Our coaches utilize our talent better than them, always have.

Since 1977, when Clemson hired Charlie Pell (the first decent coach they had in our post Dodd era), we've played 34 times (counting the ACC champ game from 2009). Clemson has won half of those. The spread is pretty even since that time, with alternating 3-4 game streaks pretty frequent. So sure, I think its fair to say we play Clemson better than we should based on talent.

But if you want to judge based on who will have a better season - the answer should be clemson to the media. Dabo is 61-26 overall, and has won 10+ games four years running (42-11). That's a lot better than we've done. Until we have a better record than clemson over a 3-4 year period, I have no objection to the media picking them to beat us. They just have a better track record of success since 2009.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This. Clemson is good...very good. Deshaun Watson might be the top pick in the draft soon.

Clemson is basically UGA-North. All the talent in the world every year but haven't put it all together to do anything meaningful since the early '80's. Will they beat us? Maybe/maybe not, but there's never any reason to fear their on-paper talent.

They'll lose 3 games at least this year. It's what they do.

Lastly, Watson had literally like 2 halfs worth of really good football last season. I'm not ready to anoint him just yet. Any argument I've seen for his greatness harkens back to high school stats and such which just isn't meaningful at this point.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been trying to figure this out. I mean seriously. What is it that missing here. I thought they lost a butt load of players and a coordinator?
And their qb is coming off major knee surgery that usually takes a year to recover from and he'll only be eight months in. They may be awesome, but they have as many question marks as anyone. Maybe more.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Justin was probably the most important player in the ACC, LAST season. It is just that the nature of what we do camoflages his impact a little. We ran, quite possibly, the most dominant offense in the last quarter century of CFB. There is no way that happens without JeT pulling the trigger. If you are lazy and all you do is look at stat sheets, then you will overlook a guy like JeT. There is no "assist" category in CFB that I am aware of (like CBB). Just like an amazing point guard who not only scores a lot himself, but dishes out assists in record numbers, JeT was the pulse and the producer.

I don't expect that kind of recognition for JeT and I don't care. You have to watch him every game to "get it". The talking heads aren't going to do that. Personally, I hope JeT uses other means for his personal motivation rather than a fawning or indifferent press corps.

ASSIST YARDS. THATS IT. *disappears with play-by-play box scores and a calculator*

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow

-- How can a recruit have "team chemistry?" Like, wow I found this 5-star offensive tackle but his Team Chemistry rating is a little low.

-- Georgia Tech just won the Orange Bowl with 900 rushing yards, but they're not a power? If they were a mid-range SEC team would that make them more powerful?

-- I have never heard a GT fan say that so-and-so is a bad kid because he went to Oklahoma or Texas instead of GT.

-- Notre Dame has great tradition and great coaches but they don't recruit as well as you think they do.

"When I was in Denver, Brady Quinn used to stand at his locker and talk about Notre Dame and how great all the players were. I said, Brady, we all had opportunities. I could have gone to Notre Dame. But, my kicker at Florida ran faster than all your linebackers." -- Tim Tebow

Milwaukee

Banned
-- How can a recruit have "team chemistry?" Like, wow I found this 5-star offensive tackle but his Team Chemistry rating is a little low.

-- Georgia Tech just won the Orange Bowl with 900 rushing yards, but they're not a power? If they were a mid-range SEC team would that make them more powerful?

-- I have never heard a GT fan say that so-and-so is a bad kid because he went to Oklahoma or Texas instead of GT.

-- Notre Dame has great tradition and great coaches but they don't recruit as well as you think they do.

"When I was in Denver, Brady Quinn used to stand at his locker and talk about Notre Dame and how great all the players were. I said, Brady, we all had opportunities. I could have gone to Notre Dame. But, my kicker at Florida ran faster than all your linebackers." -- Tim Tebow

Not sure where to start here, didn't mean to get into a back and forth. But go back and read what I was responding to I guess. Maybe that will help.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
DeShaun (sp) Watson has not earned the level of respect he is being given by the media. Clemson lost a lot last season and we dominated their *** then. I look forward to going to Death Valley and watching the Yellow Jackets devour the kitty cats. Clemson, we own them.

Go Jackets!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We shut them down offensively last year, but they kind of held us in check as well. We only scored 14 points on offense in that game.

I don't quite understand the huge love fest either, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that we should be a heavy favorite over them. They've got a ton of talent and we have to play them up there. We've lost three in a row up there by 14+ points. Now we have a much better team than we did in those losses, but it's not an easy place to play at all. Even when we win up there it's close. The last time we won up there by more than 4 points was 1989...

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Point one - its not "team chemistry" but ego/respect/intelligence. As in, there are five star guys that are smart, listen to the coaches, and show a team first attitude. That's what we want. There are a lot more guys out there who have poor character and couldn't into GT. Poster was saying we would love to get the "good" kids out there who are also good at football.

Point two - We've won 1 Orange Bowl in 50 years. No, we aren't a power.

Point three - I've heard kids that choose to go elsewhere and the response sometimes is "well, he couldn't have cut it here anyways"

Point four - We aren't talking about Notre Dame having great recruits compared to everyone else. Notre Dame, like us, Stanford, Duke, etc., have a lot of restrictions placed on them. They do a great job recruiting with those resctrictions.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
DeShaun (sp) Watson has not earned the level of respect he is being given by the media. Clemson lost a lot last season and we dominated their *** then. I look forward to going to Death Valley and watching the Yellow Jackets devour the kitty cats. Clemson, we own them.

Go Jackets!

I don't disagree that DeShaun is hyped more than he deserves, but the kid did have great games against FSU, UNC, NC State, and SC - the only games where he was healthy (SC with I believe a torn ACL). If we had a five star recruit who put up the same numbers against those four in limited action we'd be going crazy : 77-112, 1237 yards, 10 TDs, 1 pick.

In fact, I remember a certain someone else (cough *you* cough) going crazy for a three star Sophomore QB who, as a backup the year before, was 27-56 for 596 yards, 4 TDs, and 3 picks.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
(The following observation is not directed at you, but has just come to mind so I'll put it here)
It's funny how some of the same guys who dismiss our personnel turnover in the offensive skill positions point to Clemson's losses as crippling.

I'm not one of those guys, but I imagine it has something to do with the perception that our offensive skill positions are "plug and play", while Clemson's losses are in the trenches. If our losses were as significant as theirs in the trenches, I think a lot of our fans would be singing a different tune.