Media exposure

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Coach Collins is doing a good job promoting the ATL culture, but Atlanta is still surrounded by a UGA culture, accentuated by a paucity of newspaper coverage for Tech football. The Savannah Morning News, for example, will run multiple articles every day on UGA football, without any mention of Tech football at all. I dropped my subscription to that rag long ago for that continuing insult. It is going to require a lot of work by the Tech athletic program to get those journalism majors at newspapers across the state to share the print space and improve Tech’s exposure.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Collins is doing a good job promoting the ATL culture, but Atlanta is still surrounded by a UGA culture, accentuated by a paucity of newspaper coverage for Tech football. The Savannah Morning News, for example, will run multiple articles every day on UGA football, without any mention of Tech football at all. I dropped my subscription to that rag long ago for that continuing insult. It is going to require a lot of work by the Tech athletic program to get those journalism majors at newspapers across the state to share the print space and improve Tech’s exposure.

Relentless promotion and branding will help however winning is obviously the key to increasing mindshare throughout the state and southeast.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well UGA has more fans so what do you think media outlets are going to do?
I suspect but don't know obviously that every year the University of Georgia has more graduates, probably many more graduates, moving to Atlanta for employment, and those numbers exponentially dwarf Georgia Tech's, who may scatter over the entire country for technical skill employment. With that as the primary metric it is a losing battle for coverage. It doesn't mean the papers are biased, or even care frankly. It is a great fallacy that somewhere in the newspaper's bowels a small cadre of evil men conspire against Tech. They know their market, and they pitch to it. Wouldn't you?

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
I suspect but don't know obviously that every year the University of Georgia has more graduates, probably many more graduates, moving to Atlanta for employment, and those numbers exponentially dwarf Georgia Tech's, who may scatter over the entire country for technical skill employment. With that as the primary metric it is a losing battle for coverage. It doesn't mean the papers are biased, or even care frankly. It is a great fallacy that somewhere in the newspaper's bowels a small cadre of evil men conspire against Tech. They know their market, and they pitch to it. Wouldn't you?
It can and will be far less lopsided, and already is beginning to be.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
On the positive side, the print media are slowly dying off and all the "journalists" produced by UGA will have no jobs. The Sav Morning News probably won't be around much longer.

We need to win a few more games, raise our recruiting rankings (I know stars don't matter but it's good internet pub), be consistently relevant in the ACC championship hunt and keep pounding the social media side of the things. You can go around the main stream media now days. Start and keep catering to the younger demographic. Us old fogeys will all be gone soon.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

I've always been someone that marched to a little different beat and loves the underdog. I kinda thought most GT folks were that way.

While we have good people like Stansbury and CGC working hard to put GT in the best situation, there is a reality that we are a much smaller STEM school and UGA is the flagship state university. They have way more alums and fans than we do. They graduate the media folks (both TV and print) that control the narrative. State govt is dominated by UGA folks. The vast majority of teachers in schools that have a lot of influence over our children are UGA folks. On and on.

Again, yes, GT is going to do everything within its control to improve and put ourselves in a better situation, but the above are facts and reality. For your sanity, embrace and relish the David vs Goliath, and enjoy like hell those times when David punches above his weight and puts Goliath down.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean the athletic has a uGA journalist doing a great job covering us. The media should be free from bias when reporting News but the content most of us read isn’t News, it’s editorials. Which by definition include opinions.

Find an outlet you enjoy (I have with the Athletic) and move on from those you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Even if we would’ve had Clemson’s success over the past few years, I don’t believe we would have as much regional coverage as the mutts. I was a mutt fan as a kid...before I knew better. Why? My dad is a mutt fan. It will take a generation or more of success in sports to tip the scales in our favor. In addition, we need the ACC to be successful and gain equal footing with the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I posted this on Rivals board but I’ll post here since it’s applicable.

Well I’ll say this, I am listening to Steak, Sandra and Brian this morning because I knew they were at practice yesterday. I wanted to see if they were going to follow up on their experience at practice yesterday. They did a whole segment on it. Highlights:

1. Steak said it was an amazing experience the way they roll reps and the energy. Said you can’t appreciate it unless you are there.

2. Sandra said “not to bash the previous regime” (stop if you’ve heard this from other media and NFL scouts) but the access to the staff for the media wasn’t night and day different. She said she has never felt that welcome at a practice to walk around and ask questions to anyone there and get questions actually answered.

3. Steak said our players are noticeably bigger. Said our secondary has NFL sized players. He said Geoff came up to him and told him to look at the players and how much bigger and faster they are compared to last year. Steak agreed. Said that Geoff told him the average OL when he came in was 6’1 and 265 pounds. They are now 6’1” and 295 on average. Steak talked about our recruiting and how we are now recruiting OL 6’4 and bigger. Said they are fixing that quickly.

4. Brian mentioned that Oliver looked the most comfortable running the offense. Said there isn’t going to be a very clean pocket this year and Oliver was more athletic outside the pocket. I found that interesting. Oliver might actually be the starter.

5. All 3 of them gushed about the water slide, water balloons etc. he said the coaches implored them to wait until the end of practice. Said they dimmed the lights in the indoor and started to watch film them suddenly music started blaring and water balloons being tossed by coaches from everywhere even up on the lifts from above and the kids went crazy. Said he had never seen kids have that much fun this far into the monotony of camp.

6. Steak mentioned the NFL scouts present and Chris Cotter from the ACC network there as well.

I don’t know about y’all, but perhaps if GT let’s the media in, we will start to get some more positive talk and air time. When’s the last time we got a full segment on 680 talking about our program. How much fun they had and how much they appreciated our coaches welcoming them.

Perhaps we embrace this and quit pretending everyone is against us. I know Paul Johnson brainwashed us all into thinking that but I am ready to forget that and work to mend the toxicity within the Atlanta media that man set us back with.

Steak also said that we are going to win a game or two this year we shouldn’t. Said we have some speed and size that’s going to surprise people.

Funny comment by Brian, he said that Marco Coleman scares the crap out of him. He said that’s a bad dude. He said Marco Coleman told him about the DL “these mother F$&@ers are going to surprise people”. Finneran said by his estimation Anntoneous Clayton is going to be special.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I posted this on Rivals board but I’ll post here since it’s applicable.

Well I’ll say this, I am listening to Steak, Sandra and Brian this morning because I knew they were at practice yesterday. I wanted to see if they were going to follow up on their experience at practice yesterday. They did a whole segment on it. Highlights:

1. Steak said it was an amazing experience the way they roll reps and the energy. Said you can’t appreciate it unless you are there.

2. Sandra said “not to bash the previous regime” (stop if you’ve heard this from other media and NFL scouts) but the access to the staff for the media wasn’t night and day different. She said she has never felt that welcome at a practice to walk around and ask questions to anyone there and get questions actually answered.

3. Steak said our players are noticeably bigger. Said our secondary has NFL sized players. He said Geoff came up to him and told him to look at the players and how much bigger and faster they are compared to last year. Steak agreed. Said that Geoff told him the average OL when he came in was 6’1 and 265 pounds. They are now 6’1” and 295 on average. Steak talked about our recruiting and how we are now recruiting OL 6’4 and bigger. Said they are fixing that quickly.

4. Brian mentioned that Oliver looked the most comfortable running the offense. Said there isn’t going to be a very clean pocket this year and Oliver was more athletic outside the pocket. I found that interesting. Oliver might actually be the starter.

5. All 3 of them gushed about the water slide, water balloons etc. he said the coaches implored them to wait until the end of practice. Said they dimmed the lights in the indoor and started to watch film them suddenly music started blaring and water balloons being tossed by coaches from everywhere even up on the lifts from above and the kids went crazy. Said he had never seen kids have that much fun this far into the monotony of camp.

6. Steak mentioned the NFL scouts present and Chris Cotter from the ACC network there as well.

I don’t know about y’all, but perhaps if GT let’s the media in, we will start to get some more positive talk and air time. When’s the last time we got a full segment on 680 talking about our program. How much fun they had and how much they appreciated our coaches welcoming them.

Perhaps we embrace this and quit pretending everyone is against us. I know Paul Johnson brainwashed us all into thinking that but I am ready to forget that and work to mend the toxicity within the Atlanta media that man set us back with.

Steak also said that we are going to win a game or two this year we shouldn’t. Said we have some speed and size that’s going to surprise people.

Funny comment by Brian, he said that Marco Coleman scares the crap out of him. He said that’s a bad dude. He said Marco Coleman told him about the DL “these mother F$&@ers are going to surprise people”. Finneran said by his estimation Anntoneous Clayton is going to be special.
Thanks for posting this as I don't listen much to the radio

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
Even if we would’ve had Clemson’s success over the past few years, I don’t believe we would have as much regional coverage as the mutts.

If GT had blitzed the ACC and won 2 of 3 national championships and been the only one to knock down mighty Bama regularly then they would have more coverage in Georgia than UGA, no question. Winning - and only winning - cures everything.

herb

Helluva Engineer

First, thank you very much for the report. For those of us outside Atlanta, it is nice to hear the good publicity that is coming now. Second, while Paul definitely did not help things, i can assure you the toxicity with the Atlanta media, at least with regard to football, has been going on for a looooooong time.