McCollum

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Sure, but it seems to me that he would keep someone around that would at least know the behind the scenes functionality of the program. He might actually learn something!! Everything the prior staff was doing was not bad. I keep having this nagging feeling that CGC is the type guy that is always moving around and might be a 2 or 3 yr and move on type guy. History certainly indicates that. Hope I'm wrong.
Not sure what you mean by behind the scenes functionality, but wouldn’t that mean people other than coaches? DMo, TStan, the S&C guys (I think), secretaries, assistant ADs, sports information, academic advisors, etc. are all still there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope this doesn't grow to be something bigger than it is. The last thing you want is animosity between the staff and players.
I hope tstan gives some acknowledgement bonus to Andy.
I wonder if he was given the impression he was going to be retained.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but seems he would be a candidate for the UT Chattanooga head coach opening.

Edit: Oops. Just saw it was filled yesterday with a former alumnus currently on the Ga State staff.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’ve coached basketball and more so baseball at the varsity level for 14 years now. I’ve retained members of the previous staff at 3 of the 4 places I’ve been at. Two of those situations have been the worst professional decisions I’ve made in my life. Once a coach undermined me and conspired to get me fired out of jealousy because he was not considered for the job (he eventually got the job once I was fired, despite going 56-19 over 3 years). The 2nd time I retained staff was actually quite pleasant. The former staff got on board quickly and meshed well with the staff I brought along. This last time I retained staff it took me 2 years to get rid of the negative energy that some members of the previous had embedded in the mindset of the young men I worked with. All of this to say if I happen to move on from the program that I have built where I am to a bigger, better situation I'd likely clean house as well. I'd bring in my own people that I have worked with, that knows what I want to teach, the mindset/tone of the program, and how I want it taught.
Did you interview the staff before deciding to retain them? I wonder if there is a series of questions capable of discovering potential issues ahead of time. I definitely don't think Coach Mac needed to be on the team, but I would have interviewed him to see if his coaching philosophy and recruiting philosophy fit my own personal beliefs (which unless someone with inside info knows, may or may not have happened).

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate what he's done for GT, but for some reason CAM has become a message board legend (I have my own theory on that). If he's an elite coach and recruiter as some contend, he's already choosing from among multiple Power-5 offers and will end up with a hefty raise.

I know it's a HUGE stretch, but CGC has been in the coaching business for 25 years and just might know more about coaching and recruiting than folks on a message board, present company included. He clearly spent some time with CAM on the road and was able to assess whether he'd be a good fit for his staff. He then made a determination.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you interview the staff before deciding to retain them? I wonder if there is a series of questions capable of discovering potential issues ahead of time. I definitely don't think Coach Mac needed to be on the team, but I would have interviewed him to see if his coaching philosophy and recruiting philosophy fit my own personal beliefs (which unless someone with inside info knows, may or may not have happened).

In both negative cases, yes (actually didn’t in the case of the lone positive case; GREAT recommendation from someone I really trusted). I realized people will say/do what they need to say/do in order to stay employed....not to insinuate that this was the case with Coach McCollum.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I am sure CGC has a good reason why he doesn't' think CAM that would be a good fit with the new staff, and it is one that will probably never be aired in public. It is what it is, accept it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate what he's done for GT, but for some reason CAM has become a message board legend (I have my own theory on that). If he's an elite coach and recruiter as some contend, he's already choosing from among multiple Power-5 offers and will end up with a hefty raise.

I know it's a HUGE stretch, but CGC has been in the coaching business for 25 years and just might know more about coaching and recruiting than folks on a message board, present company included. He clearly spent some time with CAM on the road and was able to assess whether he'd be a good fit for his staff. He then made a determination.
Since u know they talked, did he first get buy in by indicating he would need A?

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I made a typo:

To be clear...

1) Brian Jean-Mary was retained off of Chan Gailey’s staff when PJ took over in 2008. He later left for Louisville and has rode the Charlie Strong train for better or worse since then.
2) MOST coaches (even when they’re taking over for a coach who was fired) retain at least one coach off the previous staff. Yes, it occasionally happens where the whole staff gets wiped out. But not typically. Find me the last coach that took over a bowl eligible squad and retained NOBODY. For example, Kirby kept Rocker on staff after Richt was let go. Fuentes kept several of Beamer’s assistants, etc... To me, I’d keep at least one from the point of maintaining player relationships in the transition period. Maybe if Collins is retaining Sisk, he thinks he has that covered.
3) When Kelly Quinlan tweeted the news about the entire staff not being retained, Juanyeh Thomas’ mom replied something to the effect of “her heart being broken.” She has since removed the tweet.
Frankly it’s fairly simple. On the offensive side you have us switching from an extremely specialized offense to one that hasn’t been finalized yet, but almost certainly will be nothing like our current offense. The likelihood of us retaining anyone on the offense is close to zero.

On the defensive side weve has poor defenses for a decade, and the current team while looking promising have only had 1 year, and have not had the time to completely own their spots. Familiarity with assistant coaches probably override the success they’ve shown. That also reduces the chances of retaining anyone on defense.

Finally Collins’ is the head recruiter himself. He has his own unique recruiting philosophy that likely will not be what anyone on the staff currently is used to, so no matter how good they were in recruiting individually, it’s completely possible they may not be a good fit in the new recruiting team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
CAM has or had family ties to Marietta and if it is still the case he could end up at Kennesaw, Ga State, or even UGA and remain close. He is such a good hire that someone will want him. Maybe we should hire him in the GTAA ourselves. Hate to lose guys like him. He was more to the program than just a position coach.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’ve coached basketball and more so baseball at the varsity level for 14 years now. I’ve retained members of the previous staff at 3 of the 4 places I’ve been at. Two of those situations have been the worst professional decisions I’ve made in my life. Once a coach undermined me and conspired to get me fired out of jealousy because he was not considered for the job (he eventually got the job once I was fired, despite going 56-19 over 3 years). The 2nd time I retained staff was actually quite pleasant. The former staff got on board quickly and meshed well with the staff I brought along. This last time I retained staff it took me 2 years to get rid of the negative energy that some members of the previous had embedded in the mindset of the young men I worked with. All of this to say if I happen to move on from the program that I have built where I am to a bigger, better situation I'd likely clean house as well. I'd bring in my own people that I have worked with, that knows what I want to teach, the mindset/tone of the program, and how I want it taught.
You nailed it! Not every person is a good fit with another person. Sometimes dealing with the hidden agendas is not pleasant & is actually damaging to you professionally. Plus you have to deal with the why’s, why you’re doing this like this, that like that. You just want to drive forward & some of these dudes want to go in reverse.

Bottom line: Collins made a call. I hope it works out well. Time will tell. Go Jackets!

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
CAM has or had family ties to Marietta and if it is still the case he could end up at Kennesaw, Ga State, or even UGA and remain close. He is such a good hire that someone will want him. Maybe we should hire him in the GTAA ourselves. Hate to lose guys like him. He was more to the program than just a position coach.
Newberry at Kennesaw State is going to Navy as DC. I wonder if there is interest in CAM for that role at KSU?