McCollum

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The relationships fostered are important to these players and parents/families. Shaq Mason, told me this very same thing.

A good article I read recently on recruiting said the number one factor was the relationship recruits had with their position coach. I can only imagine that Geoff thinks he needs a different kind of player and so, is not worried about the impact if he loses a few.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone is saying CGC HAS TO keep CAM, just that CAM was CPJ's strongest recruiter and it hurts to lose a guy that can recruit well...especially at GT.

That said, if CGC feels that he has other guys who can recruit as well or better than CAM...by golly, get him to GT ASAP!

Also, as others have touched on, CGC might also want to wipe the slate clean and have guys who will convey his message with no residual messages from the previous staff.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Will Andy say
1. Soon say he was treated very fairly?
2. Be silent for a time. See 3
3. Say he was played by ??

I have had to negotiate exit packages to get a 1 from well liked managers to keep corporate goodwill. Tstan wake up and let's hear 1
His best friend from HS used to work for us. From his friend's and my interactions during the first five years of AM working for PJ, I don't think Andy is going to open his mouth. Just put his head down and move on like a pro.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
1) Coach BJ, Giff, Coach Kelly were retained. A little inside info. We you mix regimes, you get too many voices and it become toxic. When you are making a culture change, a complete overhaul is necessary....
/QUOTE]Imagine then the wailing when and if Nick Saban retires. or buys Idaho and relocates, should a non-Saban coach be named? That staff is almost toxic now, with Saban to keep it between the lines. A new "culture" and they would all be gone. And no, if there is a culture change it won't be Swinney.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am seemingly in the majority in that I hated seeing CAM let go, but I agree with several posters on here that it's probably for the overall best of the team. As has been stated, if you are going to make a culture change, go ahead and make it wholesale up front.

That being said, I think there is some misunderstanding about the nature of this culture change. CGC is not saying that the previous culture under CPJ was toxic, it's just not conducive to the way CGC coaches. When CPJ retired, it left TStan with a choice of either hiring a CPJ replacement off his coaching tree (Monken, etc.), who would have most likely retained most of the assistants, or going in a completely different direction, which would by and large dictate what we saw happen yesterday.

Ultimately, CGC had to make the decision that was in his best interest as he is now responsible for the future of GT football. As I support the hiring of CGC, and back him as the GT coach, I will likewise support his decisions on assistants.

Unless he cans DMo, in which case I'll gather a large group of pitchfork laden fans and march on the GTAA...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When we bought survey companies we always paid for the bd guy to be a part of the next management team. He was
His best friend from HS used to work for us. From his friend's and my interactions during the first five years of AM working for PJ, I don't think Andy is going to open his mouth. Just put his head down and move on like a pro.
Dont need a public event in the social media age - just a text expressing frustration .and labeling.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Proven he can help land 60s ranked classes yes. Beyond that?

I think we will be more than fine. He was a great guy but the biggest midget on a staff of avg at best recruiters.

Collins is one of the top 20 in all the land. And will permiate that through his staff. Will we be top 20 every year. No. Its tech. We all know that. But can we and will we hit a 24 ranked then 35th. Then 40th. Then 20th. Yup. Thats how i think we can be now.

I agree regarding the class rankings as a whole. I was more referring to CAM's specific highly ranked recruiting targets and his ability to get them to sign on the line which is dotted on a consistent basis. Also, if he is indeed the biggest midget, putting him in the land of giants may help him grow.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CGC is not saying that the previous culture under CPJ was toxic, it's just not conducive to the way CGC coaches.

I think you hit the nail on the head. At its core, I expect CGC to have a different philosophy of football than CPJ and that's fine. Now, he needs to surround himself with a staff committed to implementing that philosophy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know it’s hyperbole in his statement, but this an even bigger indictment on the rest of the staff in Coach Mac recruited half the team

Hard to say. In a sales organization of say, 20 salespeople ... 4 will produce most of the sales. In a staff of ten ... I would expect most recruiting success to be limited to 1 or 2. UNLESS ... there is an efficient process. But I'm not familiar with anything about Tech's that tells me its different than whatever else is out there ... so there are opportunities to change things.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would you think a TO coach and 3-4 DL coach would be retained?

I don’t think coaches are incapable of learning/adjusting to other schemes. I mean hell, Tim Brewster seemingly coaches for a different team every year.

I’m not mad at you and I see what you’re saying... At the very least, I think I’ve proved that more often than not, at least one assistant is retained. Good luck to CGC.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone is saying CGC HAS TO keep CAM, just that CAM was CPJ's strongest recruiter and it hurts to lose a guy that can recruit well...especially at GT.

That said, if CGC feels that he has other guys who can recruit as well or better than CAM...by golly, get him to GT ASAP!

Also, as others have touched on, CGC might also want to wipe the slate clean and have guys who will convey his message with no residual messages from the previous staff.
His recruiting at Temple wasn't that stellar now was it?