McCollum

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Good and fair question, CuseJacket. That gets back to a fundamental hiring question. Given previous examples of recruitment, do we think we have a >50% chance of recruiting a person to fill this job that is better than our best internal candidate? More specifically, will CGC's worst recruiter be better than McCollum? If so, then awesome. But I doubt it.

Deleted member 2897

Hang on for a sec, for a number of years people on here complained about our recruiting. Then we hire a coach who was responsible for our best recruiting class in a long while and then we ***** and moan when he cleans house. What am I missing? THIS is why GT can’t have nice things. The target keeps moving. Are we really going to miss all the “almost tackles” from the linebacker corps?

Ummmmmm, this thread is about the 1 guy who brought in many of our highly rated recruits. This thread is not about all the other staff members.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, CPJ retained only Charles Jeep Kelly as a holdover coach. That's probably 1 more than any new coach keeps.

I look at the hiring of a new coach this way: When you buy new tires do you keep the old stems? Of course not! So why bag on a new coach who wants to build the program with the staff he thinks will accomplish the goal of winning championships?

You don't hire a new coach and tell him he has to keep the prior staff. No more than a President of the USA has to retain Cabinet Secretaries. CGC can bring in anybody he wants who will get the job done. At the end of the day everyone in this profession knows it's a business and as CPJ used to say: "It is what it is."

He retained Brian Jean-Mary and at least one more assistant on defense. I think he also may have retained an offensive assistant. Monken, Bohannon and CLO followed from Navy, though I don't recall at what point Coach Owens came along. PJ I think retained the wide receivers coach for a year and then moved Preston over there. He added Sewak later to the staff but before spring practice. He may have come either right before or after signing day. I say this having run into Mike one night when he had on a GT jacket very late into the high school basketball season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This doesn't shock me or upset me in any way.
Coach Mac was a good guy and our best recruiter but it is typical for a new HC to clean house from the old one.

There was an article last week looking at coaching changes and how many assts were kept by ACC programs.
In general it was 0 or 1. VT kept three when Fuentes was hired - due to keeping Bud.

I don't think this means his staff is coming down in mass either. To me it says he already knows who is coaching his LB, which is likely some combination of Thacker and CGC himself.
I never thought our LB's played particularly well on the field anyways.

it might hurt us, but Collins may have a staff much better for recruiting than we have had in many years. We have to wait and see.

I'm sort of expecting him to bring roughly half his staff with him from Temple and fill the rest with guys he knows from his past stops.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
CPJ also retained coach BJ Mary off of CCG staff.

Let me put it this way: to retain nobody off of a staff that wasn’t fired is a slap in the face and not a good way to curry favor with the current players. Look at Juanyeh’s mom’s to KQ.
Other than we are changing both our offensive and defensive approaches? It’s always amazing to me that fans think they know good assistant coaches from bad one. We don’t. Most HCs bring in their own guys. I have nothing against anyone on our previous staff, coach McCollum included, but I expect Collins to fill his staff as he sees fit.

Deleted member 2897

That list is not fully reflective of all the commits he was responsible for by the way. But I think this says it best in the announcement of his award.
He was ranked in the Top 25 for recruiters in the entire country in 2018:
https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-top-25-recruiters-of-2018

"In baseball they measure WAR, or Wins Above Replacement. In recruiting, Andy McCollum would have one of the highest CARs, or Class Above Replacement, in 2018 because this Georgia Tech class would look much different were McCollum not involved. The Yellowjackets' class finished outside the top 50 nationally, but McCollum, the Inside Linebackers coach and Recruiting Coordinator, did most of the heavy lifting and was responsible for six of their top seven ranked commits, including all three four-stars: James Graham, Justice Dingle, and Jaylon King."

And go back further - 2017, Gentry Bonds 4-star, Kaleb Oliver 4-star, Connor Hansen early starter on OL, Jaytlin Askew 4-star, 2016 Brandon Adams - graded out #1 in the ACC this year as an interior DL, etc etc

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Good and fair question, CuseJacket. That gets back to a fundamental hiring question. Given previous examples of recruitment, do we think we have a >50% chance of recruiting a person to fill this job that is better than our best internal candidate? More specifically, will CGC's worst recruiter be better than McCollum? If so, then awesome. But I doubt it.

Agreed. I’d be happy if all of our new assistants average at least 1 four-star a year.

Now, if there is a rising tide across the board, then McCollum’s contribution becomes less significant relative to other considerations like teaching scheme, clean slate for CGC, etc.

Again, not saying I agree or disagree. TBD. CGC gets to call the shots and deal with the results.

Bigger point of my prior post is that in recruiting at GT, calculus seems to affect some assistant coaches more than others, if you are a believer in both statements.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hope this doesn't lead to a let down in the bowl game. Hope the team and coaching staff rally around sending these guys off right!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I would have been surprised if CGC kept any staff. If I'm being honest, I would be surprised if he kept anyone but DMO (I think that would lead to an open revolt from players AND fans and CGC isn't stupid). CGC has said all the right things regarding CPJ and his legacy, but it is clear that he disagrees fundamentally with how a program should be run. I hope CGC is the correct one.

Coach Mac gave us some electric players that will help in the coming years. I am glad we had him, and I hope the cesspool doesn't grab him.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
No one, or at least almost no one, here is questioning CGC's "right" to clean-slate. And if it is what he feels he needs to do to be successful, then I support it as well. I just think it is a mistake, in this case, given the low likelihood that his worst recruiter will be better than Mac at recruiting and maintaining good HS coaching relationships.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I assume all the assistants that are outgoing won't be outgoing until after the bowl?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let me put it this way: to retain nobody off of a staff that wasn’t fired is a slap in the face and not a good way to curry favor with the current players. Look at Juanyeh’s mom’s to KQ.

No it isn't a slap in the face. Why should he retain anybody? The offense is getting a wholesale change. The defense was terrible for a decade and the recruiting was mediocre. I'm sure the players will be disappointed, but you don't make coaching decisions based on the opinions of the players.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No it isn't a slap in the face. Why should he retain anybody? The offense is getting a wholesale change. The defense was terrible for a decade and the recruiting was mediocre. I'm sure the players will be disappointed, but you don't make coaching decisions based on the opinions of the players.
I agree with everything but the bolded. You definitely should consider how your players will respond, but it should be one of the factors along with everything else.