McCollum

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Who’s currently considered good recruiter for GT may not be recognized as that outside of the community.

Just saying. No knock to McCullum but that’s a matter of perspective.

Also it’s not as if the linebacker play was lighting it up.

This exactly! We complain about the ILB play and then want to keep someone for being a good recruiter. Sewak had some recent success in recruiting as well.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jeez, not trying to be harsh, but collins alone makes up for moving on from CAM, and truthfully its not like his units performed great. Sometimes its best not to keep anyone around when you are trying to infuse totally new mindsets and blood. Which is why guys like tevin washington and others may be turned over too.

on the non-harsh side, he was our best recruiter for a while, a genuinely good and honest guy and in some capacity would have been nice to keep around. I liked CAM.

but lets face it. Collins and Thacker will be fine.

Deleted member 2897

Its a business isn't it. We'll be okay without McCollum. But many people still commit to the relationship, and not just the school. If we see any transfers or any of his commits change directions, you can rightly assign that blame to CGC. It strikes me as really odd that the 1 guy who recruited extremely well won't be kept. I mean, why wouldn't you at least give him 1 year to prove to you that's what you want?

The only extraneous circumstance I could see here is if the two spoke offline, McCollum didn't want to stay if everybody else was fired...or maybe he wasn't willing to take whatever his position would be.

McCollum won't be unemployed long - and we will suffer from it in some way shape or form you can bet.

EDIT: My feeling on not retaining CAM:
giphy.gif

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Its a business isn't it. We'll be okay without McCollum. But many people still commit to the relationship, and not just the school. If we see any transfers or any of his commits change directions, you can rightly assign that blame to CGC. It strikes me as really odd that the 1 guy who recruited extremely well won't be kept. I mean, why wouldn't you at least give him 1 year to prove to you that's what you want?

The only extraneous circumstance I could see here is if the two spoke offline, McCollum didn't want to stay if everybody else was fired...or maybe he wasn't willing to take whatever his position would be.

McCollum won't be unemployed long - and we will suffer from it in some way shape or form you can bet.

I greatly appreciate McCollum’s contributions to Tech. It’s a bit early to say we will suffer without him. New guy deserves his own choices. Judge the results after. So far CGC is apparently managing things fairly well solo.

Next recruiting coordinator does have some shoes to fill however.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fact 1
When Coach was here , he and only he ran the offense and that included calling every play.

Fact 2
It's now GC as hc and he and he alone will run the recruiting.

Opinion 1
Could have been awesome duo .
Opinion 2
GC intends to recruit way up the star ladder
Opinion3
I think the assistant coaches will be high energy recruiters who are A LOT YOUNGER.

Fact? A lot of this recruiting , recruiting, recruiting is to get us in a position to ATTRACT top coaches.

Deleted member 2897

I greatly appreciate McCollum’s contributions to Tech. It’s a bit early to say we will suffer without him. New guy deserves his own choices. Judge the results after. So far CGC is apparently managing things fairly well solo.

Next recruiting coordinator does have some shoes to fill however.

Fair enough. I only meant to say he was our best recruiter (by far) on the staff. So we will certainly lose that and may have to compete against him and his long standing relationships. Suffer was probably the wrong way to say it - its probably one of the bigger risks we're facing right now. Maybe that's the better way to state it.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
The only surprise is CAM, honestly turnover is always high when a new coach comes in. Add onto that a different philosophy on both offense and defense and the picture was painted.

I am worried about the early signing period, I think we will have more than a few look elsewhere.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I greatly appreciate McCollum’s contributions to Tech. It’s a bit early to say we will suffer without him. New guy deserves his own choices. Judge the results after. So far CGC is apparently managing things fairly well.

I agree with this. Most of us here — not denying the fact that a few do indeed have inside connections — don’t know what is going on inside the walls of the GTAA or, for that matter, the college coaching community at large. I’m content with letting the guy we just put in charge call the shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that he's keeping no holdovers at all. We'll see how this goes. I'm still very interested to see who he chooses to hire.

I'm not surprised at all, I'm glad that Coach G has come in showing some guts

Watching GT on film the last 5-6 yrs, even in 2014, did you ever feel that any of our positions were "well coached" ?

Even when we'd win, I just never got the feeling that our team played smart or the players were well coached

Seemed like we won when the other team did something wrong or made unforced errors

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
CAM is well liked and well respected among college and high school coaches. He's a very adept recruiter. Met him once or twice and he's as likable and personable as you can imagine.
Coach Owens also has been a very good recruiter.
Surprised Collins would cut loose the two guys with the best ins in the high schools they recruit. Owens has Jacksonville and that area has been very good for Tech and for other schools.
I figured he wouldn't keep many but this is startling. I hope Collins finds someone who can get us back stronger into the Tampa area.

Watching GT on film the last 5-6 yrs, even in 2014, did you ever feel that any of our positions were "well coached" ?

Even when we'd win, I just never got the feeling that our team played smart or the players were well coached

Seemed like we won when the other team did something wrong or made unforced errors
:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Look for Preston to retire as well as Sewak. Preston could get a job elsewhere but he’s older than even PJ. Sewak might not be as hot a commodity.

Not sure about Andy Mac.. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere though.

I’ll be surprised if CLO doesn’t go to the NFL. He’s done those coaching academies with several teams.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff

Yes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is a mistake. No continuity in coaching s6aff will mean loses in December and transfers before the spring. No telling how many, but this team has a core of really good football players and this put them at risk needlessly.

Coach had better hope that he has some decent assistants in place to come in right after the bowl. And that they make contact as early as possible.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair for coaches and kids. If they choose to change they can. Not fair to keep it hush until it's all done and then fire/ not retain any coaches. It hurts but it is honest.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with this. Most of us here — not denying the fact that a few do indeed have inside connections — don’t know what is going on inside the walls of the GTAA or, for that matter, the college coaching community at large. I’m content with letting the guy we just put in charge call the shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree here and would add that if I'm dissatisfied with recruiting - and I am - then let's not keep a guy who's specialty was recruiting. Have not seen many special talents (HS ball 4*+) in a few years now - any position group.

Personally, I almost always felt like our guys (and our coaches) played the game/clock extremely well - and knew how their position fit into that. We didn't always have best talent or got out-systemed - but we ARE a 'smart' team.