Article MBB GT vs. Va. Tech 1/27/2024

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Good info. Offense isn't the issue in spite of what most on here believe. Our defense is really bad. AS VT showed we really have no defensive answer inside when teams have good interior players. VT bigs just bullied our guys and got easy shots all game.
Not about offense at all. We get the opportunities. The debate about offensive systems with this group looks irrelevant looking at these measurements. Finding new and better ways of scoring won’t get us more wins if we don’t stop opponents from scoring more than us. Good example offensive rebounds. We are pretty good in that category. But we lose that advantage letting opponents grab their own offensive rebounds. We are at the bottom in the entire country in forcing turnovers. The “little things” do make a difference. That’s where “toughness” comes in. Now where have I heard that before?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The scary part is that Poteat and Kidd aren't really good interior players. PJ Hall had a career night on us. What are Bacot and DJ Burns going to do to us next week?
UNC is really good this year. They are a better version of VT though VT has more goof 3 point shooters.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That was a butt whoopin'. We shot 38% and they shot 55%. Butt whoopin'.

I agree that we are not getting better. Or maybe it is more accurate to say that the other ACC coaches are getting their teams to improve way better than Stoudamire is getting his team to improve. I think our coach is getting his hat handed to him by ACC coaches.

Talent is definitely an issue. We all know that Ndongo manning the post by himself is an easily exploitable weakness. We know that our wings are missing open shots that the opposition are not missing. We know toughness is an issue. A soft roster was an obvious issue for Pastner's last two teams and this year is no different.

So, it is not all on the coach. Recruiting has been good.

I don't think Stoudamire likes this crew too much or maybe I should say that a lot of these players are not a good match for this coach. Stoudamire has a vision on how he wants to play and this group is not translating that vision to the floor.

I do wonder if Stoudamire being so down on his team has stripped the team of any confidence. Has the coach whipped his team before the opposition has?

I expect significant roster turnover this off season.

But it is possible that Stoudamire is overmatched at this level. But he is competitive and he won't go down without a fight.

Stat of the game: Sacko played over six and half minutes and put-up no stats whatever in the box score: no points, shots, rebounds, fouls for or against, Assists, Turnovers, steals, and Blocks for or against. Zip. Nada. that is quite an accomplishment.

Deebo had his best rebounding game that I can remember ever seeing him play. He actually worked effectively to get position down low on the boards. He really is working to find ways to contribute. At least he seems to have a clue about what Stoudamire is talking about. Too bad he is not a better athlete.

ACC coaches have scouted Ndongo and they go right at him with big bodies. He is struggling but he still managed 16 & 9 with 2 blocks.

Similarly, George did not have a good game but he still managed 8 assists and 1 turnover. Sturdivant shot poorly but he played an OK floor game.

Claude had 3 rebounds in 23 minutes. No Bueno.

Kowacie played another bad game and Gapare and Kelly continue to flop around the floor like landed fish.

Stoudamire dipped deep into his back court depth with Carter Murphy (who looked pretty good against VT) and Abram to find someone to hit a shot.
ACC coaches know we have defensive issues across the board but especially inside. Most ACC teams have a competent big or two that can take advantage of us inside. If the opponent also has several good 3 point shooters then we will struggle defensively.

Someone said Dowuania was sick. That was a game he might have been of use as a defender simply not letting the VT bigs get such good position in the low post.

Ndongo's 16/9 were one of the quietist good numbers I have seen in a long time. Poeteat really pushed Ndongo around all game. Good learning experience for Ndongo.

I like that CDS pulled Kelly and Reeves putting in Abrams and Murphy. I believe he was sending a message to the 2 starters. Both starters seemed to play better in the 2nd half. especially the first 12 minutes. We actually got some stops.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Offense is about set-up and then shooting.We don't do either very well. Defense is about ability and effort.We definitely are lacking in size/strength inside.Effort on DEf is erratic.
With either of these basic problems you have a hard time- with both you are "ded".

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC coaches know we have defensive issues across the board but especially inside. Most ACC teams have a competent big or two that can take advantage of us inside. If the opponent also has several good 3 point shooters then we will struggle defensively.

Someone said Dowuania was sick. That was a game he might have been of use as a defender simply not letting the VT bigs get such good position in the low post.

Ndongo's 16/9 were one of the quietist good numbers I have seen in a long time. Poeteat really pushed Ndongo around all game. Good learning experience for Ndongo.

I like that CDS pulled Kelly and Reeves putting in Abrams and Murphy. I believe he was sending a message to the 2 starters. Both starters seemed to play better in the 2nd half. especially the first 12 minutes. We actually got some stops.

[F] Ebenezer Dowuona (Undisclosed) - Questionable () => Dowuona has missed the last two contests with an unknown ailment, leaving his status for Tuesday's battle against North Carolina in question. [01/27/2024]​

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This roster is not lacking in talent this much. Clean house
But what kind of talent? We have some great athletes who play basketball. That doesn't mean we have talented basketball players.

I've seen it for years. These kids go to camps and all star games where their athleticism is on display and they wow people. They get 4 and 5 star ratings. Then they go to college and have to play in a system that requires defense and staying in their lane on offense. We find out that they are great athletes, but not great basketball players. I think that is where we are with our transfers, especially. Which is probably why they transferred.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
As a data point, Reeves was an amazing -25, while Murphy was the only plus player on the team at +2. Plus minus doesn't tell everything, but that stat for the starters the past couple of games makes you wonder.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the fine edge of the matter comes down to a few questions:

1. Is Stoudamire getting the most out of the talent he has? I think the answer is, 'No.'

2. Is Stoudamire willing to sacrifice the present to establish a culture, a standard and system as a first step in moving toward a sustainably successful program? I think the answer is, 'Yes.'

Then it comes down to which approach is the primary job of the coach? I think you could answer it either way. I can see the argument that a coach's job is simply to do everything possible to win the next game. But I also see the argument that you make a plan, hold the players up to a standard to execute that plan, even if it means the initial group of players struggles to execute the plan.

It really doesn't matter how fans feel about the program right now because if the program continues to scuffle into year three, then all the present dissatisfaction will be validated. But if the subsequent teams start to realize the coach's vision, all the present dissatisfaction will be magically forgotten.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the fine edge of the matter comes down to a few questions:

1. Is Stoudamire getting the most out of the talent he has? I think the answer is, 'No.'

2. Is Stoudamire willing to sacrifice the present to establish a culture, a standard and system as a first step in moving toward a sustainably successful program? I think the answer is, 'Yes.'

Then it comes down to which approach is the primary job of the coach? I think you could answer it either way. I can see the argument that a coach's job is simply to do everything possible to win the next game. But I also see the argument that you make a plan, hold the players up to a standard to execute that plan, even if it means the initial group of players struggles to execute the plan.

It really doesn't matter how fans feel about the program right now because if the program continues to scuffle into year three, then all the present dissatisfaction will be validated. But if the subsequent teams start to realize the coach's vision, all the present dissatisfaction will be magically forgotten.
Good post.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
But what kind of talent? We have some great athletes who play basketball. That doesn't mean we have talented basketball players.

I've seen it for years. These kids go to camps and all star games where their athleticism is on display and they wow people. They get 4 and 5 star ratings. Then they go to college and have to play in a system that requires defense and staying in their lane on offense. We find out that they are great athletes, but not great basketball players. I think that is where we are with our transfers, especially. Which is probably why they transferred.
I don’t think that is our issue. We don’t have top end explosive athletes with the potential exception of Ndongo. Reeves is above average. I don’t think we are trying to out athlete teams

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that is our issue. We don’t have top end explosive athletes with the potential exception of Ndongo. Reeves is above average. I don’t think we are trying to out athlete teams
I agree. Overall I see us as a below average ACC team in terms of pure athletic ability. Ndongo is the real exception.

It’s fairly easy to see when our guys try and defend on the ball.