Article MBB GT vs. Va. Tech 1/27/2024

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
8 of 9 losses now. This team is not getting better but getting worse as the season goes on. It is CDS first year and we need to give every benefit of the doubt to a coach during the first three years of his tenure, but it is fair to observe that this team is not improving. The offense typically dribbles and passes around the perimeter until there are few seconds left on the clock and then shoots a desperation low percentage shot. What is the offensive philosophy? Very frustrating. I am not a basketball expert and am not bailing on the team. I will continue to support the team and hope things improve in a couple of years but this is depressing.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The second half our offense showed for about 12 minutes what it is intended to be. Of course the defense was bad all game and 12 minutes of good offense won't win a lot of games.

Watching other college basketball games that are non ACC games we really do need a lot more high level talent.
Agreed.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
8 of 9 losses now. This team is not getting better but getting worse as the season goes on. It is CDS first year and we need to give every benefit of the doubt to a coach during the first three years of his tenure, but it is fair to observe that this team is not improving. The offense typically dribbles and passes around the perimeter until there are few seconds left on the clock and then shoots a desperation low percentage shot. What is the offensive philosophy? Very frustrating. I am not a basketball expert and am not bailing on the team. I will continue to support the team and hope things improve in a couple of years but this is depressing.
Our offense was good for the 1st 12 minutes of the second half. Obviously 12 minutes in a 40 minute game won't win any games. That is the offense CDS wants the team to execute. Our bigger issues are on defense. You have to get stops occasionally. We really struggle against strong Bigs and good guards. That's a major issue in the ACC as most teams have strong/good bigs and quick good shooting guards.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Sometimes his post game pressers sound like a word salad. I hope he can get it done for us.
No accountability on his part, why is the team look to be going backwards. Kids are not the same as when he played their mentality & drive are not the same. Come up with some schemes that can give us a chance to win simple as that

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Our regression and lack of progression tends to drive us all into depression. Next year hopefully will be better.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
A criticism about CDS is fair IMO - he is running spacing, which relies HEAVILY on players ability to drive past defender and get to paint. We do NOT have one guy that has that skill. So, the criticism is, Coach, you know this, you should have installed sets, motion and action to help overcome this when we hit some droughts. He clearly is sticking to his guns, so he shouldn’t get angry or disappointed when we hit lulls again and again.
Still pulling every game for team, and believing the better days are coming.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When you are disadvantaged talent wise, losing begets losing. We need to be mentally tough for an entire game to have a chance. But we do not appear to be in a good place mentally.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Meant to say NOT lacking in untalented this much

Attachments

• IMG_4967.png
    IMG_4967.png
    476.5 KB · Views: 24

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good game summary for those that didn't watch.

“They’re trying. I’m not gonna knock their effort, but we gotta be better,” Stoudamire said of his squad. “We gotta be able to play when the game gets fast. When the game is fast you gotta be able to play the same way when the game is slow. When the game gets fast you gotta be able to play the same way when you’re on the road. You can’t be a sometime-y team.”

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Meant to say NOT lacking in untalented this much
Good info. Offense isn't the issue in spite of what most on here believe. Our defense is really bad. AS VT showed we really have no defensive answer inside when teams have good interior players. VT bigs just bullied our guys and got easy shots all game.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Good info. Offense isn't the issue in spite of what most on here believe. Our defense is really bad. AS VT showed we really have no defensive answer inside when teams have good interior players. VT bigs just bullied our guys and got easy shots all game.
The scary part is that Poteat and Kidd aren't really good interior players. PJ Hall had a career night on us. What are Bacot and DJ Burns going to do to us next week?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder why Dowouna (so?) doesn’t get some playing time for interior defense? He was getting token starts and playing the firtst 4-6 minutes. Now nothing. I know he won’t produce much offense, but he can score on offensive rebound putbacks, and we need size inside for defense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The scary part is that Poteat and Kidd aren't really good interior players. PJ Hall had a career night on us. What are Bacot and DJ Burns going to do to us next week?
I went to Duke Clemson game last night. Hall was the best player on the floor in the loss. He looks like an all ACC player for them. As an aside, 3 of Clemson's starters are from Georgia.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
That was a butt whoopin'. We shot 38% and they shot 55%. Butt whoopin'.

I agree that we are not getting better. Or maybe it is more accurate to say that the other ACC coaches are getting their teams to improve way better than Stoudamire is getting his team to improve. I think our coach is getting his hat handed to him by ACC coaches.

Talent is definitely an issue. We all know that Ndongo manning the post by himself is an easily exploitable weakness. We know that our wings are missing open shots that the opposition are not missing. We know toughness is an issue. A soft roster was an obvious issue for Pastner's last two teams and this year is no different.

So, it is not all on the coach. Recruiting has been good.

I don't think Stoudamire likes this crew too much or maybe I should say that a lot of these players are not a good match for this coach. Stoudamire has a vision on how he wants to play and this group is not translating that vision to the floor.

I do wonder if Stoudamire being so down on his team has stripped the team of any confidence. Has the coach whipped his team before the opposition has?

I expect significant roster turnover this off season.

But it is possible that Stoudamire is overmatched at this level. But he is competitive and he won't go down without a fight.

Stat of the game: Sacko played over six and half minutes and put-up no stats whatever in the box score: no points, shots, rebounds, fouls for or against, Assists, Turnovers, steals, and Blocks for or against. Zip. Nada. that is quite an accomplishment.

Deebo had his best rebounding game that I can remember ever seeing him play. He actually worked effectively to get position down low on the boards. He really is working to find ways to contribute. At least he seems to have a clue about what Stoudamire is talking about. Too bad he is not a better athlete.

ACC coaches have scouted Ndongo and they go right at him with big bodies. He is struggling but he still managed 16 & 9 with 2 blocks.

Similarly, George did not have a good game but he still managed 8 assists and 1 turnover. Sturdivant shot poorly but he played an OK floor game.

Claude had 3 rebounds in 23 minutes. No Bueno.

Kowacie played another bad game and Gapare and Kelly continue to flop around the floor like landed fish.

Stoudamire dipped deep into his back court depth with Carter Murphy (who looked pretty good against VT) and Abram to find someone to hit a shot.