MBB - 🤞 Clemson 2/21 GAME THREAD.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And when you compound that problem with a lack of effort or overall desire to win, last night is what you get.

You'd think that by the third time your guy drills a 3 in your face that you would close out hard. We can screened and no one steps to help or fight through.

We seem to be okay with taking L's, we just live with it or quit. Damon said it well, at the end of the day, you play for the name on front, but also the name on the back.

The lack of offensive talent is on full display. None of our guards can consistently score off the dribble or create offense other than Kyle.
George is going to be a good one. But, yes. Maddening to see players playing six feet off a 3 point shooter who has posted up on his spot.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Man, I'm not familiar with that poster, but this made me chuckle.

Then it made me wonder if that's why I rarely get responses to my posts. :unsure:

Bryan Laughing GIF

None of us want to be that guy, whoever he is.

Look At That Dungeons And Dragons GIF by Encounter Party

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
If he is mentioning things like "when I get my guys" during pressers imagine what he is saying to them during practice. My thoughts would be that those pressers are filtering some things that he actually says during practice or close doors. So if you're constantly ridiculing, humiliating, & condescending players and now starting to do it openly, I'm not sure they would play their best or give 100% effort & energy. He mentions when he played a lot.... these kids are of a different era they are not the same, their inability to overcome struggles or adversity is very limited so their shut down is quicker than 70's and early 80's babies. So can you lose a team of this day & era yes very quick.

Quick example Deion Sanders during pressers says his O-line sucks and he will be in the portal, shortly after his quarterback starts getting mauled.... defenders had a straight path to him. Quarterback didn't play the last two games because he knew what was in store.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta respect CDS and recent pressers. He makes it clear to the players of his expectations, or their exit strategy. This isn’t a 5-year plan coach. We’ll know within a season or two if he’s a fit. With academics, admissions, and CDS’ demand for over achieving work ethic players, the recruiting and portal pool has shrunk even more. His evaluations are going to have to be more precise than previous coaches. Pulling for him, hoping players who want to stay flourish. I like CDS’ blunt approach to establishing whether a player is a Tech man for this new basketball culture. If within two years he’s still complaining about guys not playing hard, or not developing, then it’s 100% on him, and I think he’ll own it - BUT my money is on him getting this going in right direction.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Gotta respect CDS and recent pressers. He makes it clear to the players of his expectations, or their exit strategy. This isn’t a 5-year plan coach. We’ll know within a season or two if he’s a fit. With academics, admissions, and CDS’ demand for over achieving work ethic players, the recruiting and portal pool has shrunk even more. His evaluations are going to have to be more precise than previous coaches. Pulling for him, hoping players who want to stay flourish. I like CDS’ blunt approach to establishing whether a player is a Tech man for this new basketball culture. If within two years he’s still complaining about guys not playing hard, or not developing, then it’s 100% on him, and I think he’ll own it - BUT my money is on him getting this going in right direction.
💯 agree that CDS is not a five year plan guy. He wants results and will be very impatient with players who don’t move the program forward.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If he is mentioning things like "when I get my guys" during pressers imagine what he is saying to them during practice. My thoughts would be that those pressers are filtering some things that he actually says during practice or close doors. So if you're constantly ridiculing, humiliating, & condescending players and now starting to do it openly, I'm not sure they would play their best or give 100% effort & energy. He mentions when he played a lot.... these kids are of a different era they are not the same, their inability to overcome struggles or adversity is very limited so their shut down is quicker than 70's and early 80's babies. So can you lose a team of this day & era yes very quick.

Quick example Deion Sanders during pressers says his O-line sucks and he will be in the portal, shortly after his quarterback starts getting mauled.... defenders had a straight path to him. Quarterback didn't play the last two games because he knew what was in store.
I was about to make a very similar post.
I’ll dissent with you on the notion that the kids are soft and a little coddling will fix it, but I agree that comments like that are a little cringey and probably foster some distrust and animosity.
Coach Prime correlation is exactly what came to mind when I saw that too….
I may be missing context. If he had said something about the effort and heart and approach that “my guys” take to the game in an attempt to underscore a lack of effort, that’s a little different from saying “these guys aren’t my guys.”

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For those that missed the post game CDS comments. Need to listen to at least the 1st half of it...

“I’ve always had a saying and it was preached to me when I was younger. At times if you’re not gonna respect what’s on the front of your jersey, respect what’s on your back because we all got a legacy and a family name. How that’s defined should mean something to you.”

Going to be interesting "off season" with portal action in and out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
6 Assists and 9 Turnovers... and of course out patented extended stretches w/o getting a bucket.

At least we shot well from the FT line.

1708618855343.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For those that missed the post game CDS comments. Need to listen to at least the 1st half of it...

“I’ve always had a saying and it was preached to me when I was younger. At times if you’re not gonna respect what’s on the front of your jersey, respect what’s on your back because we all got a legacy and a family name. How that’s defined should mean something to you.”

Going to be interesting "off season" with portal action in and out.

Speaking just for me, CDS makes sense in every press conference. I understand, listening to him, what the game plan was and why the team got away from it. Some things are obvious when you watch, and CDS confirms them.

A recurring them is this. If you take a good shot and miss, he can live with that. (Baye) If you take a bad shot because you got away from the offense, even if you make the shot (they know who they are) he’s going to question your effort. He knows that being “out-athleted” is what it is. But lack of hustle, focus, and sticking to the plan will get called out every time.

“When I get my guys” can be taken several ways. This is the way I take it. “You can be my Guy anytime you want, but, if you keep choosing to not be my guy, I will get some players in here who will be my guy.”

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
On a whole other note, and I'm sure I'm not the first to say, it's mildly frustrating watching all these GA kids ... not even super highly-ranked ones ... coming back home(sic) and whuppin our collective arses the past few years. Hope those days are coming to a close.
Three out of five starters for Clemson are from Georgia. I was at the Duke/Clemson game earlier this year and surprised at that many during team introduction. They are a solid team. Their offense is a lot better than ours. Their point guard is old school and does a good job running their offense. We seem to be running a spread with one on one trying to beat their guy. Lots of contested shots deep in the shot clock. Sloppy passes at times leading to turnovers. I expected this team to be better by now. We do have our good moments against some teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Three out of five starters for Clemson are from Georgia. I was at the Duke/Clemson game earlier this year and surprised at that many during team introduction. They are a solid team. Their offense is a lot better than ours. Their point guard is old school and does a good job running their offense. We seem to be running a spread with one on one trying to beat their guy. Lots of contested shots deep in the shot clock. Sloppy passes at times leading to turnovers. I expected this team to be better by now. We do have our good moments against some teams.
Georgia has been a hotbed of basketball talent for a long time but, with rare exception, they often go to “basketball” schools or programs perceived to be stronger.

Hope that changes too.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t like our spread offense at the moment. The two guys in the corner 3 spots do absolutely nothing to stress the defense, especially when they are Claude and Gapare. The offense is too reliant on dribble penetration, which we aren’t able to produce. I don’t even like our ball screen action anymore, because we 100% never set hard screens. We always slip the screen instead.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
With regards to roster re-tooling: Stoudamire said preseason that, "personally, I like high school kids." He elaborated to say that he wants to know as much as he can about the kids he is recruiting and that the transfer portal window is so short, he doesn't have the opportunity to get to know those players.

If his biggest beef with his team this year is about failing to establish a culture of consistently playing hard and hating to lose then I'm guessing that nothing that has happened this season will deviate him from his stated bias.

We'll definitely look for talent from the portal this off-season but competition for the blue chips out of the portal is going to be as steep as the blue chips out of high school. Lots of flotsam in the portal.