MBB - 🤞 Clemson 2/21 GAME THREAD.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Second worst winning % in the ACC over the last five years coming off of a win. Holds true. Don’t even need to watch the games 90% of the time

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Really not much to say. Although we gave up a lot of points, our biggest problem was on offense. Teams that press our gaurds give us the most trouble, taking away the 3.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
"When I get my guys up in here it's going to be different" says about all that needs to be said.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
"When I get my guys up in here it's going to be different" says about all that needs to be said.
The team is ****. The roster is ****. Damon's offense is ****. Damon's in game adjustments are, well, you know .....

These are his guys, there are only three returning players from last year's team (Terry doesn't count since he has been out all year). For the very first time I am starting to wonder if CDS can fix this.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, this is what I want to hear, confidence and resolve. I truly believe CDS is the man.
Albert Einstein said it as good as anyone, “Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.” We have a button here, aptly named “ignore”, after those not worth seeing in any forum threads.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I just wanted to point out as well — nothing infuriates me more than when GT Athletics botches simple things. As far as I'm aware, Miles was never given his moment for breaking 1000. I get that it's not like high school where you can stop the game, but at least announce it at the next dead ball/timeout so the kid can get a standing ovation.

Maybe I'm alone in being upset about this, but I was really disappointed by how GT handled that last night.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
One thing I just wanted to point out as well — nothing infuriates me more than when GT Athletics botches simple things. As far as I'm aware, Miles was never given his moment for breaking 1000. I get that it's not like high school where you can stop the game, but at least announce it at the next dead ball/timeout so the kid can get a standing ovation.

Maybe I'm alone in being upset about this, but I was really disappointed by how GT handled that last night.
They did this at the timeout after his free throws. The applause was pretty mild though.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Albert Einstein said it as good as anyone, “Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.” We have a button here, aptly named “ignore”, after those not worth seeing in any forum threads.
When that dude post, it is like he is talking to himself so many people have him on ignore.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are generally out talented in almost every game we play. Being gutsy can keep us in some of those games. But when some team comes out shooting hot it creates cascading mistakes for us and causes the team to collapse.
And when you compound that problem with a lack of effort or overall desire to win, last night is what you get.

You'd think that by the third time your guy drills a 3 in your face that you would close out hard. We can screened and no one steps to help or fight through.

We seem to be okay with taking L's, we just live with it or quit. Damon said it well, at the end of the day, you play for the name on front, but also the name on the back.

The lack of offensive talent is on full display. None of our guards can consistently score off the dribble or create offense other than Kyle.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

I'm starting to get some vibes of our former football coach in saying stuff that shouldn't be said. I wasn't overly impressed with Damon's initial press conference and haven't been very impressed with many of his others since then. Obviously he knows basketball at a very high level, but I'm just not sure this is a good fit. I hope he does get his players and we win ACCs and National Titles, but my confidence level in that happening based on what I've seen this year is not very high at this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And when you compound that problem with a lack of effort or overall desire to win, last night is what you get.

You'd think that by the third time your guy drills a 3 in your face that you would close out hard. We can screened and no one steps to help or fight through.

We seem to be okay with taking L's, we just live with it or quit. Damon said it well, at the end of the day, you play for the name on front, but also the name on the back.

The lack of offensive talent is on full display. None of our guards can consistently score off the dribble or create offense other than Kyle.

Yeah, agree with all the above. And it hurts to watch. Seems like guys are just playing out the string.

And I get that the coach bares responsibility for stuff like that. He's in charge, so the buck stops with him.

But what I don't understand is the volume of posters here basically having no confidence in the coach. Folks assessing his job, after every game, as if he's been here 6 years or something.

Yes, results matter. Even year-1 results matter. But can we give the dude some time? We're not required to be a 'what have you done for me now' fanbase.

If he's frickin' 10 years-in like Brownell and the teams still look like this, duh, we have a problem.

Sorry to ramble but some of these comments I'm seeing smack of folks that weren't on board with the hire anyway and just waited for trouble to give their assessments.

Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I would have given Shifflen the first 3 but after he showed it you had to play him out there. The wide open shot from the foul line at the start of the game was criminal level effort. Can't even give Hall the first one but we did. Clemson was in cruise control after the first 5 min and we never threatened them. In that vein not a lot of good thiings to say about last night.

Kyle has a nice mid range pull up game. You could see Naite trying to copy it in parts of the second half.

One thing CDS is going to have to do is put more actions at the start of the offense to help our guards get in the paint. You can see different wrinkles being tried - including last night - but we need help initiating the offense until we get a PG with skills like coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When that dude post, it is like he is talking to himself so many people have him on ignore.

Man, I'm not familiar with that poster, but this made me chuckle.

Then it made me wonder if that's why I rarely get responses to my posts. :unsure:

Bryan Laughing GIF

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I was surprised at how lazy the team's play was. We were totally lax on three point close-outs and on offense, we were just jacking up whatever. 6 Assists? Seriously? We were outshot from the floor 53% to 30%.

Stoudamire's presser was more exciting than the game. He doesn't relate to this team. We'll have to see if the can relate to youth of this generation in general or if his problem is with this group specifically.

But I'm glad he is disgusted because the play of the team last night was just lazy basketball. I think it took a lot of guts to say, "when I get my guys in here..." Personally, I liked the comment. We'll see if he can back it up.