May Toddcast

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
So.... where are the “T” baseball hats for sale? He states in the podcast they’ve been produced and are for sale.
I thought he said that they were originally going to produce next year, but due to demand, have moved it forward to this year. I got the impression that production is scheduled for later this year but they haven't been made yet.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TLDNR:
1) Spring game was not a spring game - it was an event.
2) 3rd largest attendance in ACC - only behind Clemson and FSU (FSU numbers were questionable based on pictures)
3) Brand - we have to be relevant in Atlanta. Collins is focused on on that like a laser and doing a great job.
4) Everything CGC does is deliberate.
5) Season tickets up 30% from last year (no comparison offered to 2 years ago when we last had uGA at home)
6) More plans in the works for a better home game experience
7) Gold/Gold uniforms were only for spring game.
8) Gear availability in stores is due to about a 1 year lead time on retail design/manufacturing. Will continue to improve.
9) Positivity around Fortner hire. Only worry was why leave a cushy job to coach again, and she had the bug again. Could not say enough about her aura and presence when you're around her.

Then I had to disconnect...that was about 60% through.

Italics are my emphasis added.

Picking up the TLDNR Started by @bwelbo :
10) Talked about the importance of seeing and home field advantage for BeesBall (gave a pretty good plug for the team and their next few weeks of game play).
11) Can confirm Todd Stansbury never played baseball (#Canada4LIFE 404theCulture) he played hockey and lacrosse then track and football.
12) Softball swept Syracuse, needs a win against ND to clinch #1 seed in ACC Tourney and pick up a bye.
13) Talked up the Golf Team, We won by 15 strokes (the gap was larger between 1st and 2nd UVA than 2nd UVA and 6th NCSt).
14) Track and Field at ACC Championship next weekend at UVA Set a record in the 4x100 that broke a 30+ year record.
15) We have 7 teams currently in NCAA Post Season for 2019 with the potential to have 2 or 3 more before the end of the year. We had 3 last year.
16) 65 GT Student Athletes will be walking this weekend, and 6 will receive Master's Degrees.
17) Jackets Without Borders won the ACC GameChangers Award for the work we did in Puerto Rico last year after the hurricane, 20 kids are going back this year to continue the work.
18) We are at 85 Million on the way to 125M for the AI working on building the new EDGE Building remodels (TStan was here in 1981 when we opened the original Edge Building, TStan says it was a boon to recruiting then and the need now is similar)
19) TStan said he thinks we did well starting with fundraising for the first 14/15 months but now knows we have tapped the obvious big pockets and knows we have to double down to finish out the fundraising. Called it 1st down on the 15 and need to punch it in. He tied in a call out for phase 2 of Russ Chandler improvements (approved by BoR and putting together the funding package now).

Whew. Go Jackets!

Pretty good recap, but seems you missed out on one jewel that shined very brightly, somewhere around point #7 on the list above...

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Ok, maybe I misunderstood

I asked a contact at GTAA, and he confirmed that -- "A lot of fans requested the hat, so adidas put into their production process. Normally takes a few months to make it into retail, so look for it over the summer. It's a good illustration of what Todd discussed on the podcast, as far as the length of turnaround time. Everything is planned nearly a year in advance, so the industry/process isn't nimble enough to turn something around quickly for high-quality items."

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I asked a contact at GTAA, and he confirmed that -- "A lot of fans requested the hat, so adidas put into their production process. Normally takes a few months to make it into retail, so look for it over the summer. It's a good illustration of what Todd discussed on the podcast, as far as the length of turnaround time. Everything is planned nearly a year in advance, so the industry/process isn't nimble enough to turn something around quickly for high-quality items."
Will be interesting to see what, if any, effect the speed factory being built has on this. Also would love to see us selling more limited run team gear type things.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see what, if any, effect the speed factory being built has on this. Also would love to see us selling more limited run team gear type things.

From their web site, it looks like the speed factory is focused on shoes design/production: https://www.adidas.com/us/speedfactory

GTAA could do more of what they did with 404 hats/backpacks, where they are buying blanks, having them modified locally and then offering them as gifts based on donations. I assume their business relationships preclude them from straight "selling" to fans like a retailer. I'd wouldn't mind seeing something like "donate $500 and choose from among a few items the team wears." The industrial engineer in me immediately jumps to the logistics and costs involved in ordering, producing, shipping, etc.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
5) Season tickets up 30% from last year (no comparison offered to 2 years ago when we last had uGA at home)

I think what he said was new season tickets sales are up 30% from last year. I certainly hope that so many GT fans buy season tickets that red is contained to the SE corner of the stadium in late November. I probably wouldn't give out raw numbers if I was in charge of the GTAA or GTAA sales. It is just difficult to make actual comparisons when percentages to subsets of categories are given instead of raw numbers.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He said we as fans need to let the retailers know we want more GT Adidas stuff to buy, but honestly, I have been doing that all I can, and it doesn't really seem to have much of an impact.

What is needed are many fans letting the retailers know we want more GT gear. If every GT merchandise available is purchased, and a couple of hundred people complain to an Academy Sports manager that they can't find GT gear he might change his planning. If the same 30 T-shirts stay on the shelf while 2 people complain very loudly, he isn't as likely to change.

EDIT: This might sound negative, but it isn't intended to. All of us should complain to retailers. We should also make sure that the few items they ordered last year are not still sitting on the shelves.(As I have seen in my local Academy Sports store)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Kinda want to start an online shop and become a reseller of GT Gear. Seems like there is a big market for it and we are under-served. Seems like it would be fairly lowrisk if you manage inventory well and only exist in the e-tail side...

@Vespidae what do you think?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Kinda want to start an online shop and become a reseller of GT Gear. Seems like there is a big market for it and we are under-served. Seems like it would be fairly lowrisk if you manage inventory well and only exist in the e-tail side...

Hey Midtown, make it an online 404 shop. Everything local to metro Atlanta. Clearly GT stuff, but you could also do other sports teams (Swarm, United, etc.) and maybe gear from local businesses. I know a local brewery that would love to have you carry their gear online ;)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hey Midtown, make it an online 404 shop. Everything local to metro Atlanta. Clearly GT stuff, but you could also do other sports teams (Swarm, United, etc.) and maybe gear from local businesses. I know a local brewery that would love to have you carry their gear online ;)

I like the idea. The best 404 page is the 404 page you were looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Love the idea but Tech doesn’t have a big enough fan base. You’d have to haves lot of self manufactured products to average your margins up.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Love the idea but Tech doesn’t have a big enough fan base. You’d have to haves lot of self manufactured products to average your margins up.

I think that is part of the idea for covering the Atlanta market (braves / hawks / falcons / united) in addition to the only school that matters in the 404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
TLDNR:
1) Spring game was not a spring game - it was an event.
2) 3rd largest attendance in ACC - only behind Clemson and FSU (FSU numbers were questionable based on pictures)
3) Brand - we have to be relevant in Atlanta. Collins is focused on on that like a laser and doing a great job.
4) Everything CGC does is deliberate.
6) More plans in the works for a better home game experience
7) Gold/Gold uniforms were only for spring game.
8) Gear availability in stores is due to about a 1 year lead time on retail design/manufacturing. Will continue to improve.
9) Positivity around Fortner hire. Only worry was why leave a cushy job to coach again, and she had the bug again. Could not say enough about her aura and presence when you're around her.

Then I had to disconnect...that was about 60% through.

Italics are my emphasis added.

Perhaps not important, but was item 5 stated as NEW season ticket sales?

Edit: sorry RonJohn, just saw your post.

Last edited: