Mark Price Assistant Coach?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Wouldn't it be worse if Price goes somewhere else such as an Oklahoma as an assistant. Hypothetically they do relatively well there Pastner falls off here wouldn't he have a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of getting the job. when is the last time you heard an assistant promoted from a fired coach in college basketball?
Currently happening in Louisville lol

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Currently happening in Louisville lol
Lol but Pitino was let go due to things outside of on court play. When has a coach been fired for performance then decide hey his assistant that was fired from a significantly smaller school been hired??? Any rational fan would agree that Price will need another smaller head coaching job and major success in order to get a job like Tech after Charlotte. Labarrie was a former player no one was calling for him to be are head coach. CTR for football wasn't in that situation either and he has ACC coaching expirence.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't imagine there would be a groundswell for Price to become the HC given he was fired at Charlotte. If he had done well there it might have been a different story.
I don't see this happening.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't imagine there would be a groundswell for Price to become the HC given he was fired at Charlotte. If he had done well there it might have been a different story.
I don't see this happening.

I believe many of us agree in principle that there would not be a groundswell of support for Price to become HC but GT has been known to get 'emotional' when hiring head coaches by bringing one of their own back home. Pepper Rogers and Bill Curry are two great cases of this.

I'd like to see us hire him as an 'ambassador' for GT basketball while helping with shooting clinics but not as an assistant coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It is so much, this. Realistically, I think you have fans who'd be okay with Price and fans who are opposed to Price, but I don't think you have any fans that are really clamoring that we need to get Price. Somebody asks this question and all the anti-Price guys come out of the woodwork to state their opposition in a way that just trolls the fans who would be okay with it.

We all know it's not going to happen, so why do some fans feel the need to tear the down the guy?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It is so much, this. Realistically, I think you have fans who'd be okay with Price and fans who are opposed to Price, but I don't think you have any fans that are really clamoring that we need to get Price. Somebody asks this question and all the anti-Price guys come out of the woodwork to state their opposition in a way that just trolls the fans who would be okay with it.

We all know it's not going to happen, so why do some fans feel the need to tear the down the guy?

Relax, I'm just kidding.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Whether at Tech or Oklahoma the issue is the same Does he want to put the time in. OK ain’t hiring him either if that is the case and recruiting will take more travel there than here. So I don’t see some hypothetical back door to the GT job

The data point we have is Charlotte and as much as I like Price if I am an AD he is going to have to really convince me he is really committed to the time required

burlgt

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know Mark Price, but it's not hard to imagine what's happened over the last 20 years in his life. He retired from the NBA, which is a grind in terms of travel, time away from kids, everything else. When he retired his kids were school age. They are now grown and out of the house. I imagine this is why he went from not wanting the grind to taking the HC job at Charlotte. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is looking for something completely in line with a coaching job.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
THIS is the bottom line.

And “Tech Men” never learn.

No, the bottom line is that since there is no groundswell to fire CJP and hire Price, you have to wonder about the fandom of those who take any excuse to crap on a Tech legend.

Of course, those like maybe, @kg01 , are excused because their objection is based on skin color not talent. Maybe.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
[FLOAT_RIGHT][/FLOAT_RIGHT]
No, the bottom line is that since there is no groundswell to fire CJP and hire Price, you have to wonder about the fandom of those who take any excuse to crap on a Tech legend.

Of course, those like maybe, @kg01 , are excused because their objection is based on skin color not talent. Maybe.

sidy.gif

(Who's more bada**, Clint or Suspicious Chloe?)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My biggest belief on why this is not likely to happen is if it was he could already be on staff.
Pastner said it a new asst will be hired after the season and will be dealt with then.

Now maybe they decide after interviews he is the best for the job and hire him. But if they had already made that decision he should already be hired.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My biggest belief on why this is not likely to happen is if it was he could already be on staff.
Pastner said it a new asst will be hired after the season and will be dealt with then.

Now maybe they decide after interviews he is the best for the job and hire him. But if they had already made that decision he should already be hired.
I believe CJP wants an assistant who is currently well known in Georgia by the coaches and players in high school. Maybe he's fits that description better than I know. But it's been a long time since he was an item on the local sports page.