Mark Fox and GT

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
it seems that with Georgia’s struggles, Mark Fox may be on the hot seat. My guess is he sticks around for another year at least, but who knows.

My question is: is Mark Fox at UGA a good thing or a bad thing for GT? On the one hand, he’s been pretty mediocre which has been good for us considering our own struggles. But on the other hand, he seems to have gotten recruiting momentum for 2018/19.

Would Fox getting fired be a good thing for GT? Does anyone have any recruiting insight I.e. should we be worried about competing with Fox for more recruits in the future?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Better question, if they fire Fox and hire someone like Musselmen or Dan Hurley or Kermit Davis how completely ****ed are we going to be if we don’t get our **** together
I think the program is in an extremely positive position and UGA has little to do with it. we have an extremely well thought of PG (not from Georgia but higher rated than any guard in the state for 2018) heading in with 2 players that from what I have seen is an improvement in recruiting. We also have Marcus Watson who it looks like is our #1 target for 2019 who picked up 2 predictions for Georgia Tech on 247 and has visited multiple times I think CJP if I had to give him a grade is an A-. I think the lack of bigs is not as big a deal as everyone thinks Kansas currently only has 1 big and they are fine

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think the program is in an extremely positive position and UGA has little to do with it. we have an extremely well thought of PG (not from Georgia but higher rated than any guard in the state for 2018) heading in with 2 players that from what I have seen is an improvement in recruiting. We also have Marcus Watson who it looks like is our #1 target for 2019 who picked up 2 predictions for Georgia Tech on 247 and has visited multiple times I think CJP if I had to give him a grade is an A-. I think the lack of bigs is not as big a deal as everyone thinks Kansas currently only has 1 big and they are fine

Zion.............

Mr. Knox.............

its a long road.

We already dont really recruit GA well, if UGA gets a coach who knows what hes doing do you think that improves our odds? Cmon, of course there is a correlation between how good UGA is and the difficulty of our road to success.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i was going to make another thread re this but this one will work fine.

given the dlab fiasco and our inability to close on top talent even though we have had a few near misses..... WHERE has bobby cremins been? was he at the clemson game? he is alway good for a brief interview or discussion by the announcers.

he was a wiz as a recruiter and id think he is still a legend in ncaa bb circles. if there was ever a time we need to be able to allow a recruit to chat with bobby in his office it would be now with dlab missing!

would that be an ncaa violation?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Zion.............

Mr. Knox.............

its a long road.

We already dont really recruit GA well, if UGA gets a coach who knows what hes doing do you think that improves our odds? Cmon, of course there is a correlation between how good UGA is and the difficulty of our road to success.
Duke North Carolina NC State and Wake Forest all sign 4 star players on a regular basis Georgia is signifcantly more fertal when it comes to basketball I'm very comfortable with where the program is at.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Better question, if they fire Fox and hire someone like Musselmen or Dan Hurley or Kermit Davis how completely ****ed are we going to be if we don’t get our **** together

I'll never be worried about uGA "putting things together" basketball-wise. They'll jump up and have an annoying tourney team every once in a while but that's about it. This notion that they're a sleeping giant is plain false.

Think I'm wrong? Well, I got decades of history on my side. Whaddyou got?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'll never be worried about uGA "putting things together" basketball-wise. They'll jump up and have an annoying tourney team every once in a while but that's about it. This notion that they're a sleeping giant is plain false.

Think I'm wrong? Well, I got decades of history on my side. Whaddyou got?

I got Ashton Hagans and Elias King committed to UGA.
Their success on the court doesnt directly impact us, but they are beating us in state without being any good. If they make a good hire it could make things in state even more difficult.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Their success on the court doesnt directly impact us, but they are beating us in state without being any good. If they make a good hire it could make things in state even more difficult.

And if DLab weren't trapped in the phantom zone, it's quite possible they'd be Jackets.

My point is, nothing they do matters. It all depends on us.

Also, wake me when they accomplish anything with all these great players they land.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And if DLab weren't trapped in the phantom zone, it's quite possible they'd be Jackets.

My point is, nothing they do matters. It all depends on us.

Also, wake me when they accomplish anything with all these great players they land.

But them landing those players and not doing anything with them still means we aren’t getting them.

I agree we need to control what we can control but to say that UGA has no impact on GT is silly

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But them landing those players and not doing anything with them still means we aren’t getting them.

I agree we need to control what we can control but to say that UGA has no impact on GT is silly

If they're wasting them, they have no impact on us. We've typically found equal or better players when we've lost guys to them.

I'm not saying we exist in a vacuum. That would indeed be silly. I'm saying, if we take care of our house, nothing they do matters.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
You're right, they have beaten us on a regular basis for awhile now. I don't believe it makes any difference if they get another coach at this time, at least for Tech. McGarret (?) wants to be a player in the SEC , coupled with the fact that the SEC wants to replace the ACC as the best BB conference, he may pull the trigger.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If they're wasting them, they have no impact on us. We've typically found equal or better players when we've lost guys to them.

I'm not saying we exist in a vacuum. That would indeed be silly. I'm saying, if we take care of our house, nothing they do matters.

Not sure I agree with this, but its ok for you to be wrong.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
i was going to make another thread re this but this one will work fine.

given the dlab fiasco and our inability to close on top talent even though we have had a few near misses..... WHERE has bobby cremins been? was he at the clemson game? he is alway good for a brief interview or discussion by the announcers.

he was a wiz as a recruiter and id think he is still a legend in ncaa bb circles. if there was ever a time we need to be able to allow a recruit to chat with bobby in his office it would be now with dlab missing!

would that be an ncaa violation?
I don't think current high school players have any idea who Cremins is

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure I agree with this, but its ok for you to be wrong.

I don't think you can name a guy they've had, who we wanted, who we weren't able to find a viable (if not better) replacement for.

I don't think current high school players have any idea who Cremins is

(a) I agree. They'd have to be given a history lesson most likely.

(2) Honestly though, I'd imagine Cremins is a good enough recruiter to put a pretty good sales pitch even if the recruit didn't exactly know who he was.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
And I got attacked saying that the natives are getting restless...seems to me I was right. Ga.tech better get their Shi! together, and I mean quickly.