Marcus Marshal JMU vs Weber State

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Do some research. JET was recruited as an athlete or DB by all his other offers except us. He was a 4 star recruit as an athlete.
Lucas had one offer from San Diego St. he was the number 35 dual threat QB. I think he has a ton of potential. He needs to get playing time.
Vad was the 10 rated dual threat QB. Recruited only as a qb. He was recruited by Most teams in the ACC and South Carolina by Steve Spurier. He did not go to Duke after leaving us because he did not want to sit a year. Cutcliffe wanted him there.

How can you forget his performance against UNC and Duke (ran the diamond) that really showed if we vary things how powerful our offense can be?

IMHO JET essentially ran the Vad Lee offense. We ran almost no midline and generally pitched. If you look at the passing scheme his senior year, it was very similar to Vad’s last year.

I am not knocking JET, he was great for us.

IMHO losing Marshal for Mills is almost unexplainable. I know a bunch on here will say he couldn’t do everything and Mills could. I think Marshall more than showed he deserved to be the starter during his time here. His last year in every game he got significant playing time we won including UGA. That is not a coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JT was offered by FSU at QB. The truth you say is undermined by the false.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Marshall averaged over 7 ypc on nearly 182 carries here. He was great here and would have had great success had we actually gone with him. And he wouldn't have been kicked off the team.
First of all, I was specifically replying to comments about Vad, not Marcus. That said, the point stands, success against FCS even for Marcus isn’t the same thing as success at the FBS level. Would he have been great here? Yes, I think so, but I don’t think pointing to what he’s doing at FCS is a way to justify that point.

...if Marcus truly left because he thought coaches were playing favorites or lack of playing time then it was incredibly short sighted on his part. Mills or no Mills he was going to play a ton this year. FWIW I don’t think he was better than Mills for what we do...and some of us seem to forget that Marcus only started running like a madman late in 2016 after Mills had taken the starting job. Prior to that he wasn’t exactly lighting it up. Mills on the other hand showed up on day 1 refusing to be tackled and dragging guys into the end zone that will be playing in the NFL. I honestly think the competition made Marcus a better player and I was sad to see him go...wish we still had them both.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I was specifically replying to comments about Vad, not Marcus. That said, the point stands, success against FCS even for Marcus isn’t the same thing as success at the FBS level. Would he have been great here? Yes, I think so, but I don’t think pointing to what he’s doing at FCS is a way to justify that point.

...if Marcus truly left because he thought coaches were playing favorites or lack of playing time then it was incredibly short sighted on his part. Mills or no Mills he was going to play a ton this year. FWIW I don’t think he was better than Mills for what we do...and some of us seem to forget that Marcus only started running like a madman late in 2016 after Mills had taken the starting job. Prior to that he wasn’t exactly lighting it up. Mills on the other hand showed up on day 1 refusing to be tackled and dragging guys into the end zone that will be playing in the NFL. I honestly think the competition made Marcus a better player and I was sad to see him go...wish we still had them both.
Great answer!

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Mills was the better BB. Anyone who watched them play and understands the position should be able to tell you that.

Marshall, and I've said this the day he signed with us, was the best pure RB on our roster. Since our offense features the BB, Mills was deservedly the starter, and should have been.

I think Marshall evened the gap some when Mills was suspended towards the end of 2016, and Marshall begin to display some of the little details that made him a better BB (gaining positive yardage on a carry to carry basis as opposed to going 0 yards two plays and popping 20 yards the 5th carry, picking up blocks, carrying out assignments if he didn't get the ball, etc.). Marshall had that special ability to sense where defenders were in the trash and make a cut to break a long gain. That's a gift Mills did not have.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

What? Marcus averaged 7.6ypc as a freshman before Mills ever got here. Marshall ran for 180 in his first game here. Marshall started lighting it up once Mills went out because that's when he was actually getting consistent touches. When you're getting 4 touches a game you are hardly in rhythm. Also no, Mills wasn't refusing to go down game one. He averaged 3.8 ypc game one. 41. ypc his second game. 4.7 his third. 3.8 his fifth. Also, before the "if you throw out big plays" crowd chimes in, Mills also had a higher percentage of runs less than 3 yards than Marshall throughout the year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It’s funny we’re arguing about two guys who aren’t even here anymore. One chose to go somewhere else while the other chose pot. Both chose themselves over GT. You guys can have both of those guys. I’ll take the guys who are still here.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What? Marcus averaged 7.6ypc as a freshman before Mills ever got here. Marshall ran for 180 in his first game here. Marshall started lighting it up once Mills went out because that's when he was actually getting consistent touches. When you're getting 4 touches a game you are hardly in rhythm. Also no, Mills wasn't refusing to go down game one. He averaged 3.8 ypc game one. 41. ypc his second game. 4.7 his third. 3.8 his fifth. Also, before the "if you throw out big plays" crowd chimes in, Mills also had a higher percentage of runs less than 3 yards than Marshall throughout the year.
Play calling is affected by who is playing too. The difference was we could line up with Mills with everyone in the state knowing who was going to get the ball and he would still get 3 yards...we knew it, CPJ knew it, opposing coaches knew it. Marcus got tackled for next to no gain in most of those situations. Averages are great, but the games were called differently when each of those guys playing. Very different backs....one was exactly what we needed in 2016, the other is what we needed in 2012...

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
lol not competeing. He had Skov put over him even though Marshall was the better back and it was obvious game one. Then next year he outproduced Mills and actually handled himself off the field and it was still obvious Mills was going to be Johnson's favorite. He wanted to compete. But it's only competeing if he had an actual chance to win.
Oh, give me a break. Skov started over him because he had obvious BAD fumbling problems his freshman year. This is a situation of a helicopter parent who thought because his son broke a 50 yarder against Alcorn St, he should have been enshrined as the starter. Wow, he's doing great in Little League ball, just like Vad did after shrinking away from big league competition. Spare me the praise of MM. He bailed on us for ENTIRELY SELFISH reasons. If he'd transferred to another P5 school, he'd have shown he wanted to compete. Obviously, he just wanted to go be star against the little kids. He wasn't 'done wrong'. Dedrick Mills' off-the-field issues with things that are legal in Colorado have nothing to do with MM situation. Stop obfuscating the issue. Suck it up buttercup, and try harder. Took me 3 shots to get promoted to supervisor on my job. First 2 guys weren't more deserving but I hung in there. That's adult life, which apparently his father isn't going to let him live. 200 yards in JV league. Whoopty. He bailed on us. Don't care what he does elsewhere.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just an FYI. Vad was offered by Duke, and Cutcliffe even mentioned that he tried to get Vad to stay home and play for Duke. CPJ just out recruited Cutcliffe, and Vad LOVED the city of Atlanta. Duke was also not a very good team at the time and GT was coming off a 9 win and 11 win season.

Vad was a 4 star QB that chose GT. It didn't work out for him, and GT got a good one with JeT. No need to be a revisionist or denigrate someone that played for us. I would hope we're better than that.
I can't dispute what you say though my recollection from those days is the opposite: lee hung out wanting an offer, and Cutcliffe never came through. Else, Lee would have stayed at home (Durham) for Duke.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Oh, and btw...it’s not like MM has been amazing at JMU. He’s only broken 100 twice and 80 three times. Last few games have been great, but let’s not pretend we lost Bo Jackson to transfer here.

Attachments

• C92477E5-090A-498C-B654-D6870E87756C.jpeg
    C92477E5-090A-498C-B654-D6870E87756C.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 13

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I can't dispute what you say though my recollection from those days is the opposite: lee hung out wanting an offer, and Cutcliffe never came through. Else, Lee would have stayed at home (Durham) for Duke.
Good thing we can look it up: Claims he had an offer from Duke, among other schools.

I can't wait for two years from now when we have a similar thread rehashing the Jones v. Johnson QB controversy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good get, but you know the key verb there. I still remember the guy from several years ago who claimed offers from every major university in North America. Came signing day and turned none of them ever heard of him.

Come on man, say what you want about Vad's on the field exploits for GT, but he's a VERY devout Christian. He's got no reason to lie...oh, and also the fact that it's been written MANY times that Vad spurned Duke for GT:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/vad-lee-friendship-remains-with-duke-cutcliffe/G6Tcn3xinxlDk8LEbFwouI/

Lee and Cutcliffe will be on opposite sides of the field Saturday when Tech and Duke play in Durham. But a relationship that had its roots in Cutcliffe’s recruitment of Lee developed into a friendship that has outgrown the tie that originally brought them together.

“As far as our relationship, it was more on a personal level, friendship level,” Lee said. “He wanted me to go to school there, but coach Cutcliffe was a great guy.”

Duke was the first school to extend a scholarship offer to Lee, as a sophomore, Cutcliffe’s first year at Duke.

As I said, why denigrate a former SA that played for GT? If you were a QB and you had the opportunity to pick the brain of a coach that mentored MANY NFL QBs, you'd be stupid not to. He took a leap of faith on GT when he signed with us. Instead of bashing guys that transfer out, GT fans should be grateful that kids took a chance on us and played for us. Let's just move on and keep it classy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Come on man, say what you want about Vad's on the field exploits for GT, but he's a VERY devout Christian. He's got no reason to lie...oh, and also the fact that it's been written MANY times that Vad spurned Duke for GT:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/vad-lee-friendship-remains-with-duke-cutcliffe/G6Tcn3xinxlDk8LEbFwouI/

Lee and Cutcliffe will be on opposite sides of the field Saturday when Tech and Duke play in Durham. But a relationship that had its roots in Cutcliffe’s recruitment of Lee developed into a friendship that has outgrown the tie that originally brought them together.

“As far as our relationship, it was more on a personal level, friendship level,” Lee said. “He wanted me to go to school there, but coach Cutcliffe was a great guy.”

Duke was the first school to extend a scholarship offer to Lee, as a sophomore, Cutcliffe’s first year at Duke.

As I said, why denigrate a former SA that played for GT? If you were a QB and you had the opportunity to pick the brain of a coach that mentored MANY NFL QBs, you'd be stupid not to. He took a leap of faith on GT when he signed with us. Instead of bashing guys that transfer out, GT fans should be grateful that kids took a chance on us and played for us. Let's just move on and keep it classy.
What is this "bashing" nonsense? My observations about Lee are that he could not play at the Division 1 level and excelled when he went down in class. Lots of players do, and it is good they recognize it early enough to take advantage of it. Lee couldn't play under center and didn't take advantage of that new single wing, shotgun formation. I don't think he ever had, though I might be wrong. I am always suspect when someone sets forward the false premise to defend. He done great at Madison. As for the religion angle, I don't ever argue that at all. No point. I will point out there is a WH full of the same commitments, and ...