Marcus Marshal JMU vs Weber State

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I watched a replay of the James Madison/Weber State Quarter Final FCS game and Marcus Marshal had a great game. He did not start but the offense could do nothing against Weber. He came in, busted a 50+ yard run, and scored from 15 yards out to get JMU rolling, getting 62 yards of the 73 yards on the drive. Next he scored another TD from 20 yards, and had a 3rd one called back. Down 20-28 with 3 minutes to play, he ran kickoff back to the 45 yard line and limped off the field, never saw him again. JMU drove it in, converted 2 points, stopped Weber, and kicked a game winning field goal with no time left. MM ended up with 128 yards on 15 carries, 9.1 yard average. Reminds me of our last drive against UGA in 2016 in which he gutted it out for a first down in our winning drive. He is a winner for sure. Was a great game to watch. Congratulations to MM. I am looking forward to big things from him next year as a senior.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I watched a replay of the James Madison/Weber State Quarter Final FCS game and Marcus Marshal had a great game. He did not start but the offense could do nothing against Weber. He came in, busted a 50+ yard run, and scored from 15 yards out to get JMU rolling, getting 62 yards of the 73 yards on the drive. Next he scored another TD from 20 yards, and had a 3rd one called back. Down 20-28 with 3 minutes to play, he ran kickoff back to the 45 yard line and limped off the field, never saw him again. JMU drove it in, converted 2 points, stopped Weber, and kicked a game winning field goal with no time left. MM ended up with 128 yards on 15 carries, 9.1 yard average. Reminds me of our last drive against UGA in 2016 in which he gutted it out for a first down in our winning drive. He is a winner for sure. Was a great game to watch. Congratulations to MM. I am looking forward to big things from him next year as a senior.
Thanks for a descriptive post with numbers.
Good luck m m, you gave your all while at Gt.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
He did not start for JMU, but would have started for GT, had he not transferred to get out of Mills' shadow. Funny how things turn out...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t want to be here regardless of Mills. He didn’t like getting hit w/o the ball. It’s ok, bback ain’t for everybody.

MM was as good a back as PJ has recruited (and an impressive young man seemingly) ,if he wanted to play Aback instead maybe PJ could have been more flexible --- of course if the QB won't give him the ball it makes no difference

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You must not have paid attention to Vad Lee at JMU. Nothing Marcus Marshall does on that level is impressive because it's not the same level as we play in. Vad Lee lit up the FCS level and broke many records. He was a Walter Payton Award finalist his JR season, and was the favorite to win it his SR season until his injury. Of course, all that is bunk because it's just FCS...

...or so the haters would have you believe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t want to be here regardless of Mills. He didn’t like getting hit w/o the ball. It’s ok, bback ain’t for everybody.
This is going to sound smarmy and I don't mean it to. But if he was good enough to start at Tech but didn't because they promised the position to a freshman, how come he can't go down to a lower league and start? As for Vad Lee, whom I am weary of hearing of -- let me dangle prepositions everywhere -- he had every chance to excel at Georgia Tech, including a shotgun element. He didn't. That was on him. Nobody else. He found his level, did very well, and should have been there to begin with except for his ego. (Hand this one to Cutcliffe, anyway: Lee did everything but beg for a Duke offer. Cutcliffe was having none of him though he liked him personally. He was right, Johnson was wrong. Shoot, maybe critics are right: Johnson can't recruit.)

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This is going to sound smarmy and I don't mean it to. But if he was good enough to start at Tech but didn't because they promised the position to a freshman, how come he can't go down to a lower league and start?
I don't think it too important that he didn't start in his first year in a program that had 2 capable backs that had been in their program for years, one a senior that got hurt early and Trai Sharp, a Junior. MM averaged 9.8 carries/game and had 5.3 yds/carry. Sharp had 11.9 carries per game and 4.6 yds average. Pretty even. I think the biggest concern that MM had at Tech was when Mills played (when he wasn't injured or suspended), MM was only getting 4-5 carries per game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...or so the haters would have you believe.
So people are haters because they say that excelling against FCS is not the same as excelling against FBS? Give me a break man...

I guess minor league baseball all stars are the same as major league all stars? Or FBS All Americans are the same as NFL All-Pros?

No one is a hater for pointing out that the competition level isn't the same...nor is it even close. Don't believe me? Check out the site below

http://www.footballgeography.com/history-of-fbs-i-a-vs-fcs-i-aa/

...and just for kicks I pulled all ACC teams all-time records against teams in FCS (formerly D1AA). This is against teams that were currently in the sub-division (not sure about that 1999 UNC score, btw...seems high, lol)

29 losses all-time. 13 of those came from two teams.

This suggests that If JMU had played an ACC schedule while Vad were there they would have gone roughly 2-22.

Yeah, I know...it's imperfect logic because FBS teams don't play the best FCS teams and blah blah blah...still, those are pretty ridiculous numbers. Competition is not the same.

Congrats to Vad for his accomplishments at that level...but let's stop pretending it's our fault that he didn't excel at Tech.

upload_2017-12-14_8-57-46.png

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
BTW, what I found interesting about ND and why I highlighted them...they have NEVER played a subdivision team. Now I'm sure they played some back before there were subdivisions, but that is incredible.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So people are haters because they say that excelling against FCS is not the same as excelling against FBS? Give me a break man...

I guess minor league baseball all stars are the same as major league all stars? Or FBS All Americans are the same as NFL All-Pros?

No one is a hater for pointing out that the competition level isn't the same...nor is it even close. Don't believe me? Check out the site below

http://www.footballgeography.com/history-of-fbs-i-a-vs-fcs-i-aa/

...and just for kicks I pulled all ACC teams all-time records against teams in FCS (formerly D1AA). This is against teams that were currently in the sub-division (not sure about that 1999 UNC score, btw...seems high, lol)

29 losses all-time. 13 of those came from two teams.

This suggests that If JMU had played an ACC schedule while Vad were there they would have gone roughly 2-22.

Yeah, I know...it's imperfect logic because FBS teams don't play the best FCS teams and blah blah blah...still, those are pretty ridiculous numbers. Competition is not the same.

Congrats to Vad for his accomplishments at that level...but let's stop pretending it's our fault that he didn't excel at Tech.

View attachment 3183

Lol. Dude glad you had time to write a thesis. In no way was I trying to say that FCS was at the same level as the ACC. My point, if you could get through the sarcasm, was that too many GT fans dismissed anything Vad accomplished at the time because it was at the FCS level. I think it was more ill will with the way Vad left than actually playing at the FCS level.

Watching him tonight reminds me of his play at Tech. He should have started over Mills and probably should have started his Freshman year. K Benson will be a great back for us but can you imaging if we had Marshal as well.