Marcus Marshal JMU vs Weber State

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Marshall averaged over 7 ypc on nearly 182 carries here. He was great here and would have had great success had we actually gone with him. And he wouldn't have been kicked off the team.
I felt strongly after 2 suspensions that Mills would not make it to his Sophomore year. Not sure why CPJ couldn't sense that and spend more time cultivating Marshall. CPJ seems out of touch with his team sometimes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I felt strongly after 2 suspensions that Mills would not make it to his Sophomore year. Not sure why CPJ couldn't sense that and spend more time cultivating Marshall. CPJ seems out of touch with his team sometimes.
I have a lot of those strong feelings after the fact, in fact an uncanny ability to predict every success and failure afterwards. Be that as it may, I'm glad Marshall does well in Double A ball. Too bad he was not willing to compete for a big league job. Apparently it is the Vad Lee template.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a lot of those strong feelings after the fact, in fact an uncanny ability to predict every success and failure afterwards. Be that as it may, I'm glad Marshall does well in Double A ball. Too bad he was not willing to compete for a big league job. Apparently it is the Vad Lee template.
Well, he did do well in the big leagues too.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Mills is/was the better b back. Had he made the decision that football was more important than his other habit we would be lamenting his exit to the pros in his senior year.

Based on others posted statements, Marshall didn’t want to be the b back. CPJ picked the back that would hit the hole hard every play. Looked like a football decision by the coach, one dependant on Mills committing to the team and giving up other things, as I’m sure Mills promised to do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Mills is/was the better b back. Had he made the decision that football was more important than his other habit we would be lamenting his exit to the pros in his senior year.

Based on others posted statements, Marshall didn’t want to be the b back. CPJ picked the back that would hit the hole hard every play. Looked like a football decision by the coach, one dependant on Mills committing to the team and giving up other things, as I’m sure Mills promised to do.
It's not a sure thing that Marshall would have replaced Mills, either. Marshall didn't always do the heavy lifting the position required -- blocking, hitting the hole every play knowing he would get popped by a LB or big ugly. And of course, not fumbling. I hope things can work out for Mills, just as it seems to have worked out for Marshall going down a couple of levels. Certainly it worked for Lee.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to ask, but the way people are talking about how this worked out well for Vad Lee, you'd think he was playing pro football somewhere. Is he?

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry to ask, but the way people are talking about how this worked out well for Vad Lee, you'd think he was playing pro football somewhere. Is he?

Vad Lee got severely hurt his last year derailing his pro career. He was the last true dual threat QB we recruited. Another great kid who had good grades like MM. these type of kids leaving hurts our program. If you don’t think the Vad Lee story is used to recruit against us you are kidding yourself.
I think CPJ is a great coach and the right one for us. But there is truth in the statement if you are not improving you are getting behind your competition. There is nothing go wrong with running a variety of sets especially is passing downs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad Lee got severely hurt his last year derailing his pro career. He was the last true dual threat QB we recruited. Another great kid who had good grades like MM. these type of kids leaving hurts our program. If you don’t think the Vad Lee story is used to recruit against us you are kidding yourself.
I think CPJ is a great coach and the right one for us. But there is truth in the statement if you are not improving you are getting behind your competition. There is nothing go wrong with running a variety of sets especially is passing downs.

Isn't LJ a dual threat QB?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

lol not competeing. He had Skov put over him even though Marshall was the better back and it was obvious game one. Then next year he outproduced Mills and actually handled himself off the field and it was still obvious Mills was going to be Johnson's favorite. He wanted to compete. But it's only competeing if he had an actual chance to win.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Marshall averaged over 7 ypc on nearly 182 carries here. He was great here and would have had great success had we actually gone with him. And he wouldn't have been kicked off the team.
Yes, he excelled with the ball in his hands. Problem is the Bback doesn’t get the ball every play. There’s a lot more to the position than carrying the football. If he had been just half as dedicated to that part of his game, he would likely have won the job outright. If he had the gumption to double his efforts to take the job instead of quitting, he’d have been the starter last year. I’m so glad Synjyn Days didn’t think like Marcus. Team first.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Vad Lee got severely hurt his last year derailing his pro career. He was the last true dual threat QB we recruited . Another great kid who had good grades like MM. these type of kids leaving hurts our program. If you don’t think the Vad Lee story is used to recruit against us you are kidding yourself.

JeT and Lucas Johnson say hello. Oh, and the kid who hurt his head, too.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's face facts: Being a feature Back at GT as the B-Back is a different animal than being a feature back in the NCAA Spread offense or a pro set. Every down for the most part you need to slam into either the A or B Gap with, OR without, the football. The B-Back has designated blocking assignments on every down as opposed to a featured back in another offense who remains a check down receiver absent picking up a blitz.

No plays off for a B-Back and that is why toughness is the first priority and 1B is TEAM FIRST! As good a year Benson had in his first year being thrust into the starter's position after Mills was dismissed, he better keep working hard as Jerry Howard is right on his heels. Competition is what makes all the better teams thrive.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Watching him tonight reminds me of his play at Tech. He should have started over Mills and probably should have started his Freshman year. K Benson will be a great back for us but can you imaging if we had Marshal as well.
He led the team both years he was here in yards gained.

203 yards, 2 TD's of 65 & 87 yds, 13.5 yds/carry yesterday in the semi-final. It's fun to watch him play. When he gets thru the LOS clean with a little space, he nearly always takes it to the house. Reminds me of Dwyer so much, what a waste for us. Not throwing off on our coach, but I am afraid that no RB with this type talent will ever give us a second glance as long as PJ is there. If MM can stay healthy next year, he is going to get a real good look at the next level I think. Possibly even this year if has another great game in the FCS Championship game in January.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Lee had his chance. He got the shotgun offense he wanted. He played no better. He played better when he played down a league, and in that regard it worked out for him. He played well at his level. As I said before, if he could have played QB Cutcliffe would have been all over him because he was hanging out at and begging Duke for an offer.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
lol not competeing. He had Skov put over him even though Marshall was the better back and it was obvious game one. Then next year he outproduced Mills and actually handled himself off the field and it was still obvious Mills was going to be Johnson's favorite. He wanted to compete. But it's only competeing if he had an actual chance to win.
Ah, he sounds like the junior high kid who went home to tell mommy the coach didn't like him and that's why he never got in a game. That's just a feeling-sorry-for-yourself alibi. He'd have been a lot better off to shut up and play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lee had his chance. He got the shotgun offense he wanted. He played no better. He played better when he played down a league, and in that regard it worked out for him. He played well at his level. As I said before, if he could have played QB Cutcliffe would have been all over him because he was hanging out at and begging Duke for an offer.

Just an FYI. Vad was offered by Duke, and Cutcliffe even mentioned that he tried to get Vad to stay home and play for Duke. CPJ just out recruited Cutcliffe, and Vad LOVED the city of Atlanta. Duke was also not a very good team at the time and GT was coming off a 9 win and 11 win season.

Vad was a 4 star QB that chose GT. It didn't work out for him, and GT got a good one with JeT. No need to be a revisionist or denigrate someone that played for us. I would hope we're better than that.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
JeT and Lucas Johnson say hello. Oh, and the kid who hurt his head, too.

Do some research. JET was recruited as an athlete or DB by all his other offers except us. He was a 4 star recruit as an athlete.
Lucas had one offer from San Diego St. he was the number 35 dual threat QB. I think he has a ton of potential. He needs to get playing time.
Vad was the 10 rated dual threat QB. Recruited only as a qb. He was recruited by Most teams in the ACC and South Carolina by Steve Spurier. He did not go to Duke after leaving us because he did not want to sit a year. Cutcliffe wanted him there.

How can you forget his performance against UNC and Duke (ran the diamond) that really showed if we vary things how powerful our offense can be?

IMHO JET essentially ran the Vad Lee offense. We ran almost no midline and generally pitched. If you look at the passing scheme his senior year, it was very similar to Vad’s last year.

I am not knocking JET, he was great for us.

IMHO losing Marshal for Mills is almost unexplainable. I know a bunch on here will say he couldn’t do everything and Mills could. I think Marshall more than showed he deserved to be the starter during his time here. His last year in every game he got significant playing time we won including UGA. That is not a coincidence.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do some research. JET was recruited as an athlete or DB by all his other offers except us. He was a 4 star recruit as an athlete.
Lucas had one offer from San Diego St. he was the number 35 dual threat QB. I think he has a ton of potential. He needs to get playing time.
Vad was the 10 rated dual threat QB. Recruited only as a qb. He was recruited by Most teams in the ACC and South Carolina by Steve Spurier. He did not go to Duke after leaving us because he did not want to sit a year. Cutcliffe wanted him there.

How can you forget his performance against UNC and Duke (ran the diamond) that really showed if we vary things how powerful our offense can be?

IMHO JET essentially ran the Vad Lee offense. We ran almost no midline and generally pitched. If you look at the passing scheme his senior year, it was very similar to Vad’s last year.

I am not knocking JET, he was great for us.

IMHO losing Marshal for Mills is almost unexplainable. I know a bunch on here will say he couldn’t do everything and Mills could. I think Marshall more than showed he deserved to be the starter during his time here. His last year in every game he got significant playing time we won including UGA. That is not a coincidence.

If he was better than Mills, then why did coach have Mills ahead of him? Oh yeah, he'd rather lose than win.