March Madness Group

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Zach Auguste made a layup with about five minutes to go. Then Grant hit the shot clock beater trey with two and a half left. After Auguste made his basket, no one but Grant even attempted a shot. What happened to the offense that worked so well for 35 minutes?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Who could have known Notre Dame would be so dang good this year?

Oh! Wait! I did. :)
I also predicted ND to finish high this year. Auguste, Connaughton, Grant, Pestoria... all on the same team. Impressive. Plus I LOVE LOVE LOVE their offense. Have all season. Can't believe we played them so tough this year. I really wanted ND to win it all this year. I enjoyed watching them play. UK just doesn't have alot of skilled players. Townes is next level great and the Harrison brother who can shoot 3s has alot of skills. The rest are just very athletic with little to no actually skill. Can't believe they couldn't find a spot for Wiltjer on that squad.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is interesting watching Tom Izzo running the CBG offense against the UL zone. Izzo has better athletes than CBG, so he generally gets better results. I wonder is CBG called him before the game like he did before the uga game?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually we try to run a system similar to Mich St, but don't do it nearly as well (particuarly on offense).
I'm just tired of the denegrating at this point. Gregory isn't winning here but i'm not going to take alot of potshots at him. He was a successful coach on the whole at Dayton - one of the top 3 in their history if you go look. He clearly isn't a good enough coach to win in the ACC, but I don't think he is an awful coach. He would do quite well at a number of mid majors where the talent differential isn't quite so great.

Ultimately on some level our situation isn't just his fault, its GT's fault.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
At this point it's clear that nothing gregory could so would ever convince some people he's a bad coach.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
March Madness is when I root for ND and then Fluke. I'll need to take a lot of showers for the outside and drink grain alcohol to cleanse the insides; but I have to confess that I did.

Oh well, I was hoping for 4 ACC teams in the final 4. But at least we got one. Anyone who beats that sham of a "student athlete team" called Kentucky will be my favorite for a while.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
March Madness is when I root for ND and then Fluke. I'll need to take a lot of showers for the outside and drink grain alcohol to cleanse the insides; but I have to confess that I did.

Oh well, I was hoping for 4 ACC teams in the final 4. But at least we got one. Anyone who beats that sham of a "student athlete team" called Kentucky will be my favorite for a while.
I think I agree with you about the ACC, but Duke has four freshmen that will likely play only 1-2 years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think I agree with you about the ACC, but Duke has four freshmen that will likely play only 1-2 years.

Great, I won't disagree that most of college basketball is a sham. Kentucky is just the poster child in excess. The sooner college basketball goes to the football / baseball model of "student athletes" being required to be in college for 3 years (if they enter) the better. It won't because of the money; but ........ it is what it is.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually we try to run a system similar to Mich St, but don't do it nearly as well (particuarly on offense).
I'm just tired of the denegrating at this point. Gregory isn't winning here but i'm not going to take alot of potshots at him. He was a successful coach on the whole at Dayton - one of the top 3 in their history if you go look. He clearly isn't a good enough coach to win in the ACC, but I don't think he is an awful coach. He would do quite well at a number of mid majors where the talent differential isn't quite so great.

Ultimately on some level our situation isn't just his fault, its GT's fault.

Yeah.. some people just can't help themselves, but it has hurt the level of discussion IMO.

I've definitely found myself spending less time here because of it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah.. some people just can't help themselves, but it has hurt the level of discussion IMO.

I've definitely found myself spending less time here because of it.

Yeah, you're not wrong at all. I think a lot of folks (myself included) have found it difficult to get it all out. It's going to be a rough offseason (although it's paled in comparison to the last time we were in this position). I think it'll get better once the games are done.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For me there is a distinction that some are bypassing.
I didn't think Gregory was a good hire when it was made- thought it was a 'meh' hire made because the AD ha $1M to spend on a coach.
Gregory avg almost 20 per season at Dayton and had only 1 losing season while rebuilding. That is actually pretty good. Not great - he lost too many conference games and didn't make enough NCAA's - but not awful either.
He is not a good coach at the ACC level - but that is different than not being a good coach. He's just not a successful coach at the level GT is trying to play at. Whenever he is relieved of his position he won't be out of work long. He'll either get hired as an asst at a P5 type school or a coach at a lower level mid major type.

I certainly get the frustration and was quite angry that first week - but i'm passed that. Was never really angry at Gregory though as ultimately the main issue at GT is not coaching - it's administration (Dan Wolken had a great tweet yesterday about how bad administration at TN had turned that from a top 3 SEC job into a dumpster fire). Same issue at GT. We have to fix the admin issues before we can worry about the coaching ones.

First the school has to decide if it wants to compete in college basketball. The institute as a whole has plenty of money to take care of the buyouts and spend the money on a new coach that can compete. But it has chosen not to. It has decided it is not willing to take a short term loss for a potential long term gain. The Institute and some of the donors are willing to let the situation continue for awhile longer. I'm not surprised, the school has continued to move more toward an academic focus and one on SA's getting an education - can't fault them for that.

I'm starting to understand where ND AD Swabrick is coming from when he says he believes an eventual split is coming in Div 1 athletics different from what the prognosticators think. He believes it is going to be more of an academic split than a have and have not split. He mentioned that Stanford and Oregon are competing for the same prize but going about it completely differently. He sees a future where there are 2 divisions. One that is basically running semi-pro sports and not really worried about academics very much and the other being a more academic focused group who aren't interested in running a semi-pro league. He made it clear he believes ND would be in the latter - if it ever comes to that I would fully expect GT to chose the latter as well.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 - I hear you buddy and I get it.....People are frustrated and many were ready for change.. Hell, I even found myself excited about being a part of the coaching discussion, but at the risk of this sounding too cliche, "it is what it is". Everyone should feel free to express their frustration and state their opinion, but at a certain point, we have to move on.. At this point, I will root for BG to prove everyone (including me) wrong. If we continue to suck and bring up the rear, then we have to hang in there until a change is made (and root for Price to blow up at Charlotte). Not an easy pill to swallow, but what choice do you have?

I have a toddler, and I deal with enough BS and problems at work, I certainly do not want to come here everyday and see a bunch of trash talk about our coach and program... To me, all the negativity and potshots do is drive a wedge further into our fan base or just discourage people from caring. Please understand that I'm not saying that everything should be rainbows and sunshine, this past season was extremely difficult even for me, but who wants to log on everyday and see 10 post about how bad the coach is and how our program is not relevant.