L'Ville

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Did not get to watch or listen. But two questions:
(1) did we seriously leave Hughes in after he walked the bases loaded? Seriously?
(2) any reason why we wouldn’t use English????

Hall has now cost us 4 L’s and counting.

We simply don’t have enough talent to overcome him.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is the biggest problem with English as the closer. I'm not sure why he wasn't in to start the 9th. However, once you start and the pitcher gets in trouble, it's hard to bring English in straight from first base, even if he was warming up in between innings. He had a pinch hitter down 1-2 with 2 outs and probably could have struck him out with a pitch out of the zone. However, none of those last 3 pitches were even competitive to give him the idea to chase. 2 of 8 losses now to teams down to their last strike and that doesn't even count UVA.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think this is the biggest problem with English as the closer. I'm not sure why he wasn't in to start the 9th. However, once you start and the pitcher gets in trouble, it's hard to bring English in straight from first base, even if he was warming up in between innings. He had a pinch hitter down 1-2 with 2 outs and probably could have struck him out with a pitch out of the zone. However, none of those last 3 pitches were even competitive to give him the idea to chase. 2 of 8 losses now to teams down to their last strike and that doesn't even count UVA.
Not even close... he was throwing junk 2 feet over the PH head. Utter lack of self awareness by Hall in the last inning... that one hurt

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Lost on unearned run. Bad day for Tech with Brandon Adams death and another loss out of the jaws of victory.

Need another closer besides English. Do we not have any one that is not starting that can be a closer?

For a Sunday pitcher we didn't hit the cover off the ball. don't believe anyone got more than one hit.

Deleted member 2897

So sad. 5-4 in conference play, and 3 of those 4 losses we were leading and lost in the last inning. So sad.

Deleted member 2897

The fragility of this team is palpable. It's like watching middle schoolers competing in an egg toss. ...an egg toss where I actually care about the egg.

I could be wrong, and I have not looked it up, but I am pretty sure if we have a two or fewer run lead in the last inning, that we have a bigger chance of losing then of winning. If I’m close to right with my hunch, that is incredibly sad.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The fragility of this team is palpable. It's like watching middle schoolers competing in an egg toss. ...an egg toss where I actually care about the egg.
It's honestly not the team. It's Hughes. He is fine as middle reliever or set up man, but he can't finish a game off in the 9th. It's in his head at this point. Hall has to know this though and he has to decide who the closer is. If it's English (which it should be), he has to close every game. Only bring him in in the 9th, but he has to be the one to close it. My next option would be Bartnicki or Roedig, but if that is the case, then they should only pitch the 9th inning. There is a reason major league teams have designated roles for guys in the late innings, and there is a reason those guys typically only go 1 inning.

We are literally 4 outs away from being 8-1 in ACC play. This is a good team with excellent starting pitching and a deep lineup. If Hall can get put of his own way, I like our chances of being in the conversation as a regional host.

I also want to know why Hall didn't leave Lee in the game. I get matchups, but he had just punched out the dude. Leave him in for at least another batter.

Deleted member 2897

Yea, its pretty hard to find something to complain about in winning a 2-1 series against a top 5 team on the road, but I'm sure going to try.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yea, its pretty hard to find something to complain about in winning a 2-1 series against a top 5 team on the road, but I'm sure going to try.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still pumped for the series win and it's huge for momentum, but the guys need to put their foot down when they have it on an opponent's neck. Still love this team and the rest of ACC play sets us up for a shot at the Coastal.