L'Ville

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another elite team, this time @ L'Ville. D1 Baseball has them at #4 (UCLA is #1), coaches #7. As I posted lat night, we are getting into a tough part of our season. Our current SoS is #55 and projected is #6. So to climb that high with 1/3 of the games completed, we may have the toughest remaining season of any team. Certainly close to it.

At 17-4, here are their 4 losses. Lost 2??!! to UConn opening weekend. Lost mid-week to Xavier. And 1 to BC.

Their notable wins: won 2 mid-weeks from Ole Miss, swept @ Duke last week and won BC series.

I expect one close game and two losses. Hope for one win. I'm starting this post in hope of our first series win in years in an unlikely place. Win two and we are in a great place. Our RPI this morning is 48 and will climb with one win and soar with 2. (As Charlie Brown says, I know what you're going to do Lucy. Then he tries to kick the ball. Don't get too hopeful till the last out is recorded.)

Looking at the L'Ville performance on Friday, Sat and Sunday, they are consistently good but give up the most runs on Sunday. So if we are to win games, I think Sunday, then Saturday and then Friday.

Deleted member 2897

We HAVE to win 1. After this we have 2 home series against a bad Notre Dame team and an iffy UNC team. Gotta go 5 of 6 against teams at home of that caliber. I think the only must this weekend is just to find a way to win 1 game. If we can win 2 we'll be in a great spot.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We HAVE to win 1. After this we have 2 home series against a bad Notre Dame team and an iffy UNC team. Gotta go 5 of 6 against teams at home of that caliber. I think the only must this weekend is just to find a way to win 1 game. If we can win 2 we'll be in a great spot.

OK I'll play. If "HAVE" to win means make the NCAAs by the skin of our teeth (i.e. just inside the bubble) I agree. If you mean host, we need a lot more than we have. Here's the ACC remaining and what I expect:

@L'Ville - win 1 (we don't win road series and Hall is fine with that)
ND - win 2 (we don't sweep series and Hall is fine with that too)
UNC - win 1. UNC is too freaking talented and well coached to not resurrect.
@BC - win 1. If we win a road series, this is it.
@VT - win 1. These guys are a lot better than the past and on the road.
Clemson - win 2. Just because the team wants to give us hope.
@Duke - win 1. Duke has good pitching and on the road.
Pitt - win 2. No sweep allowed.

End up with 11 more wins to our current 3-3. That's 14-16 overall. Probably miss the NCAAs with the swing being Auburn & UGAg mid-weeks. Haven't beaten UGAg in years.

If I go by hope, it's:
@L'Ville - win 1
ND - win 3
UNC - win 2
@BC - win 2
@VT - win 1
Clemson - win 2
@Duke - win 1
Pitt - win 3.

End up 18-12 and in the NCAAs and close to but not hosting. But depends on mid-week games.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Man some pessism in here. Our starters are good enough to pull out a win in any of these games. And our bats are on fire. No reason we can’t steal a series this weekend.
Possible? Yes....but it will take a starter going 7 plus innings so we can avoid coaching decisions and an unreliable bullpen. That’s hard to do.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man some pessism in here. Our starters are good enough to pull out a win in any of these games. And our bats are on fire. No reason we can’t steal a series this weekend.

Hope you're right about pessimism. By Sunday evening, we'll see if its pessimism or realism.

The future is now. As the article again says, "Preseason expectations have been at an all-time high as the Yellow Jackets have built themselves into one of the oldest teams in the country, returning seven of nine starters and losing zero starting pitchers from a season ago."

Deleted member 2897

Hope you're right about pessimism. By Sunday evening, we'll see if its pessimism or realism.

The future is now. As the article again says, "Preseason expectations have been at an all-time high as the Yellow Jackets have built themselves into one of the oldest teams in the country, returning seven of nine starters and losing zero starting pitchers from a season ago."

Yep. Paul Johnson would have been fired 7 years ago if he had all this talent and had all this middling around.

Deleted member 2897

We have 14 Strikeouts in 7 innings? Boy did we leave our eyes at home.

76 pitches for X. Could be last inning for him. To win 1 of the 3 games, this is the one we need to make work. Tie game with 2 innings left.

Deleted member 2897

We have 14 Strikeouts in 7 innings? Boy did we leave our eyes at home.

76 pitches for X. Could be last inning for him. To win 1 of the 3 games, this is the one we need to make work. Tie game with 2 innings left.

Yup, closing in on 100 pitches now. ONE HIT given up, but he won’t be handing over the ball ahead. Crazy.