Lucas Johnson Entering Transfer Portal

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: Lucas Johnson’s high school coach explains transfer decision, plans
Former Georgia Tech quarterback Lucas Johnson hasn’t relinquished his aspirations to play in the NFL. It’s what has led him to leave Tech as a graduate transfer, according to Johnson’s high school coach.

“Truth be told, he’s really thinking about going to the next level, which surprised me a little bit because I always thought he wasn’t thinking that far ahead,” John Anderson, Johnson’s coach at Mt. Carmel High in San Diego, told the AJC Saturday. “That’s kind of the motivation behind what he’s doing now — just looking for new opportunities.”
Anderson said that Johnson has “narrowed it down to a couple schools” and will make visits in March before deciding. Out of respect for Johnson, who has kept a low profile with his recruitment on social media, Anderson declined to identify them.

He did allow that “they’re schools that are playing on Saturdays on national TV.”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I want to thank Lucas for all he did at Tech. I think bad luck with injuries was all that stopped him from becoming our starter in 2018; he certainly fit the bill for the job.

Good luck wherever you end up, young man. I think you easily have the talent to start somewhere else, I hope you do, and I hope you get to play on Sundays as well.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Dunno their qb situation but would love to see him start there.

They're starter from last year finished his eligibility. Nobody in their QB room has any real experience. They had a grad transfer from USC committed but in the end he put his name in the transfer portal and didn't show up for Spring semester. They've got a new head coach in Brady Hoke and their OC/QB coach is Jeff Hecklinski who has coached with Hoke at several stops. This is his first OC job at a major D1 level but he has been a passing game coordinator at a couple of stops and an OC at a couple of other places.

Looks to me like Lucas would have a decent opportunity with nobody there having any real experience and nobody having any real connection to Hoke.

GTFLETCH

Banned
MWC would be great for LJ... Two solid years and he could find himself on a NFL or CFL team as a starting QB

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
They're starter from last year finished his eligibility. Nobody in their QB room has any real experience. They had a grad transfer from USC committed but in the end he put his name in the transfer portal and didn't show up for Spring semester. They've got a new head coach in Brady Hoke and their OC/QB coach is Jeff Hecklinski who has coached with Hoke at several stops. This is his first OC job at a major D1 level but he has been a passing game coordinator at a couple of stops and an OC at a couple of other places.

Looks to me like Lucas would have a decent opportunity with nobody there having any real experience and nobody having any real connection to Hoke.

BTW I know the first word of my post should have been “their”. I didn’t notice i had done that until it was too late to correct. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk