Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
We'll see how often Pastner has us hunt Krutwig with pick and roll action. Moses isn't a great screener, but he's getting better at it and he's an elite finisher when he catches on the roll.

I generally prefer the Devoe/Moses PNR over Jose/Moses (Devoe is the better interior passer and has the height to see over the top a bit better than Jose to hit rollers). I'd run that action over and over and make Krutwig either sag off a shooter or try to keep up with Moses rolling, and then see how Loyola tries to counter.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Some Loyola history...still the only school from Illinois to win the NCAA championship, in 1963:

Game Of Change: Pivotal Matchup Helped End Segregated Hoops : NPR
"During the March Madness of 1963, playing was infused with politics. The NCAA matchup between Loyola University of Chicago and Mississippi State helped put an end to segregated basketball. Loyola's win 50 years ago became known as the "game of change."

Their "Game of Change" with Mississippi State in '63 reminded me of Tech's '56 Sugar Bowl game against Pitt.
Both were a step along the road toward ending segregated sports, and both games featured exemplary sportsmanship on both sides.

1956 Sugar Bowl - Wikipedia
"After receiving the team invitation to the Sugar Bowl, Georgia Tech coach Bobby Dodd took a poll of his players to see if they were willing to play an integrated team. Every single player voted in favor of playing the game."

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
We'll see how often Pastner has us hunt Krutwig with pick and roll action. Moses isn't a great screener, but he's getting better at it and he's an elite finisher when he catches on the roll.

I generally prefer the Devoe/Moses PNR over Jose/Moses (Devoe is the better interior passer and has the height to see over the top a bit better than Jose to hit rollers). I'd run that action over and over and make Krutwig either sag off a shooter or try to keep up with Moses rolling, and then see how Loyola tries to counter.
Your prescription is similar to Sperber from HoopVision - he said in his video breakdown of Loyola defense "if I were a coach facing Loyola in the NCAA tourney, I'm putting Krutwig in PNR early and often." Our games from the last 2-3 weeks are all blending together in my head, so I don't recall the actual games/opponents... but there were a couple times recently where Pastner ran a ton of roll/replace - way more than usual. Pair that with Porter Moser's "dont help off corner shooters" philosophy and our roll/replace set, and it's not hard to envision what you are saying and what Sperber is saying and what Pastner has already done in a recent game or two. To incorporate lv20gt's point earlier in the thread, this approach would increase the likelihood of Bubba taking Khalid's minutes as a corner spot up shooter.

Note also that we now have 2 versions of roll/replace. All year we ran it starting with a ghost screen and shooting guard on the block ready to lift after the PNR. Recent games we have started with a horns setup and it leads into roll/replace. Same play, just different initial actions. I've been hoping all season Pastner has been saving a wrinkle or two for post-season variations on roll/replace.

Of course, no idea if any of this comes to fruition, but it is fun banter while waiting 4 more days.

slugboy

Staff member
Your prescription is similar to Sperber from HoopVision - he said in his video breakdown of Loyola defense "if I were a coach facing Loyola in the NCAA tourney, I'm putting Krutwig in PNR early and often." Our games from the last 2-3 weeks are all blending together in my head, so I don't recall the actual games/opponents... but there were a couple times recently where Pastner ran a ton of roll/replace - way more than usual. Pair that with Porter Moser's "dont help off corner shooters" philosophy and our roll/replace set, and it's not hard to envision what you are saying and what Sperber is saying and what Pastner has already done in a recent game or two. To incorporate lv20gt's point earlier in the thread, this approach would increase the likelihood of Bubba taking Khalid's minutes as a corner spot up shooter.

Note also that we now have 2 versions of roll/replace. All year we ran it starting with a ghost screen and shooting guard on the block ready to lift after the PNR. Recent games we have started with a horns setup and it leads into roll/replace. Same play, just different initial actions. I've been hoping all season Pastner has been saving a wrinkle or two for post-season variations on roll/replace.

Of course, no idea if any of this comes to fruition, but it is fun banter while waiting 4 more days.
Did he break down GT?
I’d like to hear how he’d attack us, or shut down our offense.

Deleted member 2897

Did he break down GT?

I see lots of man defense, which of course screens and double screens can help with. But it will be interesting to see how dedicated to that they are. In other words, if you pull everyone out to the perimeter, do the defenders follow? Then you could run a lot of iso plays. I'd put some of our guys like Jose and Ush against anybody 1 on 1.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Did he break down GT?
He has not written one word about GT this year or last. Only reason to do so would be our hybrid zone. Everything else we do is pretty vanilla (that's not a knock, we clearly do most of it well). Sperber tends to focus on top 10 teams *or* teams that do something unique in terms of x/o. He will also look at teams that are not top 10 overall but that are really highly rated in a particular stat (e.g. Loyola #1 def efficiency rating).

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Will Sister attend the game?

Sister Jean wants to attend Loyola Chicago's NCAA Tournament games: 'I'm not going to cause any disturbance' - CBSSports.com

The school's famous chaplain is awaiting the final decision on travel approval from both Loyola and the NCAA
Well if the NCAA is going to allow Sister Jean to attend the game, we should formally petition them to allow our beloved & long-standing team enthusiast, George P. Burdell, to attend the game as well.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I see lots of man defense, which of course screens and double screens can help with. But it will be interesting to see how dedicated to that they are. In other words, if you pull everyone out to the perimeter, do the defenders follow? Then you could run a lot of iso plays. I'd put some of our guys like Jose and Ush against anybody 1 on 1.
As far as I can tell, Pastner does matchup/iso in 2 or 3 ways, sort of. But we don't really run "set plays" - we are 95% continuity offenses.

1. Princeton "low" with Moses on the block for post iso. Have not seen this often, but maybe that was because ACC typically has traditional 5s defending Moses in the low post (not the case with Loyola).
2. Roll/replace - sometimes I think Pastner just mixes it in for variety; other times it seemed to me he was attacking specific matchups (Jose/Mike at times, Moses at times).
3. DDM - to me it has never looked like it targeted specific matchups, but maybe I missed it. otoh, he could certainly be using it to attack "general" mismatches (i.e. perimeter quickness for drives) because of the general makeup of our team/lineups. DDM certainly can put perimeter defenders "on an island".

I'm sure I have missed specific actions in our Princeton "point" series that target specific matches for isolation within the continuity of Princeton.

End of shot clock we see Jose et al go 1v1 at times, or use a simple high ball screen, but those are merely the result of shot clock situations.

And of course, at times when running our stuff and getting 1/5 switches, you will see Jose or Mike retreat dribble for a moment to abandon the offense and go 1v1 iso on a big man mismatch. But those are more players reading and reacting as opposed to Pastner calling out an iso set.

In Sperber's video he points out that Loyola leads the nation in "forcing" (baiting) opponents into long 2s off-the-dribble. My opinion is we have several guys that have shown a willingness to take too many of those exact shots this season. Several of our guards are actually ok at those shots, and against some ACC teams it is justifiable at times given our small guards. But looking at the Loyola matchups, I'd be all over our guards to not "settle" for those and to attack the rim - we have the speed advantage and they do not have a true rim protector. Sperber points out that Richmond and Wisconsin did exactly that and had success.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Sister Jean is 101 I think. I read she was fully vaccinated and wasn't going to be allowed to go because of limits to the number of people that can travel.

I have no faith that the NCAA will do the right thing, but I hope somebody wakes up and allows a fully vaccinated 101-year-old Chaplean to go.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
As far as I can tell, Pastner does matchup/iso in 2 or 3 ways, sort of. But we don't really run "set plays" - we are 95% continuity offenses.

1. Princeton "low" with Moses on the block for post iso. Have not seen this often, but maybe that was because ACC typically has traditional 5s defending Moses in the low post (not the case with Loyola).
2. Roll/replace - sometimes I think Pastner just mixes it in for variety; other times it seemed to me he was attacking specific matchups (Jose/Mike at times, Moses at times).
3. DDM - to me it has never looked like it targeted specific matchups, but maybe I missed it. otoh, he could certainly be using it to attack "general" mismatches (i.e. perimeter quickness for drives) because of the general makeup of our team/lineups. DDM certainly can put perimeter defenders "on an island".

I'm sure I have missed specific actions in our Princeton "point" series that target specific matches for isolation within the continuity of Princeton.

End of shot clock we see Jose et al go 1v1 at times, or use a simple high ball screen, but those are merely the result of shot clock situations.

And of course, at times when running our stuff and getting 1/5 switches, you will see Jose or Mike retreat dribble for a moment to abandon the offense and go 1v1 iso on a big man mismatch. But those are more players reading and reacting as opposed to Pastner calling out an iso set.

In Sperber's video he points out that Loyola leads the nation in "forcing" (baiting) opponents into long 2s off-the-dribble. My opinion is we have several guys that have shown a willingness to take too many of those exact shots this season. Several of our guards are actually ok at those shots, and against some ACC teams it is justifiable at times given our small guards. But looking at the Loyola matchups, I'd be all over our guards to not "settle" for those and to attack the rim - we have the speed advantage and they do not have a true rim protector. Sperber points out that Richmond and Wisconsin did exactly that and had success.
we really need our guards to attack. If we slow down the pace we play into their hands. Devoe needs to go full throttle and not pause when he gets near the basket. and that why i also wrote i think bubba could have a big game- he's hesitant to shoot over taller guys, but loyola seems to be in his range from what i saw on their website. plus he has range which is important in a slow down game.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
we really need our guards to attack. If we slow down the pace we play into their hands. Devoe needs to go full throttle and not pause when he gets near the basket. and that why i also wrote i think bubba could have a big game- he's hesitant to shoot over taller guys, but loyola seems to be in his range from what i saw on their website. plus he has range which is important in a slow down game.
Both Devoe and Alvarado play at a slow pace in the half court. If you want pace of play, then Sturdivant is your guy.

That is a potential interesting dynamic for next season if we see a back court tandem of Sturdivant and Devoe. Devoe likes to play slow and Sturdivant wants to play fast.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Both Devoe and Alvarado play at a slow pace in the half court. If you want pace of play, then Sturdivant is your guy.

That is a potential interesting dynamic for next season if we see a back court tandem of Sturdivant and Devoe. Devoe likes to play slow and Sturdivant wants to play fast.
i meant that devoe has a tendancy of picking up his dribble as opposed to shooting his floater. he has some crafty moves under the hoop, as long as he keeps his dribble alive- thta what i meant by attack

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i meant that devoe has a tendancy of picking up his dribble as opposed to shooting his floater. he has some crafty moves under the hoop, as long as he keeps his dribble alive- thta what i meant by attack

Man, if Devoe consistently showed a floater, that would be a game changer for his arsenal. So many other things it sets up for him when he comes down the lane.

All this talk of Moses vs Kurtwig and we don't talk about Devoe/Alvarado/Usher. Usher's rise (literally and figuratively) has made us a legitimate 4 headed monster. Unless you have straight ballers at 4 spots in your lineup, it's gonna be really hard to keep up with us right now. Ask Duke/FSU/VT/Syracuse about that. I think it's been hard to tell just how really good we were lately (even though we're on an 8 game win streak) because the other teams were ultra talented. Duke and FSU especially...all that talent on those teams and at times they just could not keep up.

You know what's even scarier? We actually have not shot that well lately. If Devoe/Alvarado go off like they can, this team is frightening for opponents.

Getting back to Usher, look at his last 5 games:

Usher's production is now consistently matching his physical talents. He's now a guy that will give you 15 pts/5 rebs/2+ steals/3+ assists a game. There are periods in games where he is flat dominant on both ends, and quite possibly the best player on the court. If you pay attention, the promising thing for us, and scary for the other team...is Usher can be even better. The hope is it shows up during the NCAAT and just makes us unguardable in combination with Alvarado/Moses/Devoe.

We definitely have room to improve, but we are playing very well heading into the NCAAT...precisely when teams want to time it.

Deleted member 2897

I just shot a floater.

Nothing ever works well if you act like you’re about to shoot a floater and then try and keep it in.