Louisville Post Game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not a single comment yet on two fantastic catches by the true freshman? Makes me wonder how many here turned off the game or left early.

They kept talking about his speed, but his ball skills (ability to track the ball, adjust his body to the catch...and actually catch it with his hands) is looking like the best on our team. His first catch along the sideline over a bigger defender was one of the best catches I've seen from a GT WR in a while. Then to be able to jump that high and make sure he was inbounds in the endzone was also fantastic.

That WR group is going to be REALLY good. That's the most speed in that group since probably the Waller and Smelter years...and Smelter really wasn't that fast.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
What is it with GT fans? Down 8 with 4 minutes left, 50% were out of there. Have they never heard of a 2 point conversion. 11 down with 2:30 minutes left, 90% out of there. Have they never heard of an onside kick? We came pretty close to getting the onside kick with 1:07 left and possibly winning the game.

I admit I left after Louisville downed the ball with 30 seconds left.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What is it with GT fans? Down 8 with 4 minutes left, 50% were out of there. Have they never heard of a 2 point conversion. 11 down with 2:30 minutes left, 90% out of there. Have they never heard of an onside kick? We came pretty close to getting the onside kick with 1:07 left and possibly winning the game.

Unfortunately, the Collins years have some fans doing the opposite of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'"...

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Said this in another thread but the part that hurt/confused me was after our 1st down pass play to the 19 still up 28-23 we went for 3 consecutive runs and the missed FG. It was a weird time to go so conservative when our rushing hadn’t seen much room in the 2nd half. Played for the FG vs continuing to pass.

Seen talk about UL going to be bad but I hope they end up good so you look back and realize it was a close loss to a good team vs a bad one.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not a single comment yet on two fantastic catches by the true freshman? Makes me wonder how many here turned off the game or left early.
Singleton really did make two superb catches on the last drive. Good throws but the catches were much better than the throws. He clearly has potential with his speed as he showed good body control and good hands!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Said this in another thread but the part that hurt/confused me was after our 1st down pass play to the 19 still up 28-23 we went for 3 consecutive runs and the missed FG. It was a weird time to go so conservative when our rushing hadn’t seen much room in the 2nd half. Played for the FG vs continuing to pass.

Seen talk about UL going to be bad but I hope they end up good so you look back and realize it was a close loss to a good team vs a bad one.
The counter is when down 29-28 on their 16 on 1st down we tried a pass that resulted in a sack/lost fumble. Play results are more important than play calls! A 2 yard run on that play looks nice based on results!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
The counter is when down 29-28 on their 16 on 1st down we tried a pass that resulted in a sack/lost fumble. Play results are more important than play calls! A 2 yard run on that play looks nice based on results!
Right. If the screen pass gets stopped for a two yard gain vs a long TD, people would question throwing a screen with less than 2 minutes left.
It’s the nature of it. My beef only relates to the 2nd and 3rd down calls on the missed FG drive. First off, we have an inconsistent kicking game. Secondly, we are not good enough on defense to play for FG. We need to mash on the gas on offense, every drive.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Alabama football and Duke basketball can afford to go conservative when winning in the second half because their opposition is always less talented. Key has to realize that GT football cannot operate the same way with a lead.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hungover thoughts this morning:

Louisville did not appear to have many fans at the game. I sat in a Louisville section the first half, and it was still 50% Tech fans. Switched to a Tech section 2nd half which clearly caused this loss, so I apologize for that. Tech section I moved to had some Louisville fans, but maybe only 10%. The other side of the field looked like it had no Louisville fans. Announce crowd was like 36k, and it felt like 5-8k Louisville and 28-30k Tech. Lots of empty seats all over the place which probably looked terrible on TV, third level was not covered like I think has been done in the past. Louisville fans around me were mostly pleasant the first half.

1st half slow start for Tech's offense, but once they got rolling it was enjoyable. I thought the D did a good job holding Louisville to a field goal after the interception, obviously would have preferred not to turn it over in field goal range for them though. 2nd half the offense was mostly bad, and I think the D wore down and made more and more mistakes. They played to the end and didn't give up.

If you had told me pregame that we would score 28 points in the 2nd quarter, I wouldn't have believed you. To then surround that with three almost scoreless quarters is kind of baffling. Can't play to not lose, which definitely felt like what we were doing the secons half. Very Gailey-esque.

I'm not 100% sold on King just yet. Overall he played well, threw some really good passes and ran well, but he had several dangerous/terrible throws, one of which almost ended up being another interception when it had no business being directed near the field of play. I don't think he necessarily shoulders all or most of the blame on the interception or fumble, that goes to the O line, but I think he deserves some of it and both of those were costly mistakes that resulted in 10 points for Louisville. I don't really get the feeling he can will us to victory like some of the other QBs we've had/have, but I'm sure he'll get more opportunities to show us.

Running backs were bad for the most part. Several times they pulled up instead of hitting the hole full speed, and it cost us. Made me miss the days of having a B-Back barrel into defenders for a consistent 3 yards. The running game play calling, particularly in the second half also felt terrible. Handoff up the middle for 1 yard, over and over. Really need to get better here.

Receivers struggled to get separation and dropped several good passes.

Defensively, nobody really stood out as a playmaker. The D line got no push all game, felt like they were waiting for Louisville's OL to hit them first. Plummer had all day to throw, and their runningbacks had large gaps to hit several times. Pretty disappointed with this group. The one time I remember someone made it into the backfield they completely whiffed on one of the slowest QBs we will probably face and let him escape. The secondary was okayish, but allowed several big plays with guys falling down or just being out of position. The TD they scored on Jaylon King was frustrating, he's been around a while and should be one of our better DBs, but he got beat easily. Tackling was terrible all game, every year I'm amazed at how the basics of wrapping up seem to be forgotten.

I will always be disappointed when we lose, particularly such a winnable game. But it was the first game of the season, against a real opponent, with a new staff and a lot of new players, and I think we saw some good signs. Need to clean up the mistakes, find some play makers, and get the lines playing better, and we'll win some football games. We get an easy game against SC State next week and then go on the road to Ole Miss, let's hope we can put together a good game by then and maybe steal a victory.
Louisville fans are waiting for basketball practice to start. Louisville is a school like Duke that basketball stirs the drink not football. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. The defense really misses Ace, Charlie, and White. There is no replacing those three, at least not on this roster. Defense will be an issue all year which is why I predicted we would win five. I agree with you on King. He is a gunslinger and throws a pretty ball. He seems to have good vision and makes good decisions for the most part but he will take chances trying to make a play. The primary issue is the play on both lines. The defensive line cannot get pressure. They are slow and miss White badly. The linebackers are not up to the caliber of Charlie and Ace. The defensive backs seem to wilt in the second half but three and outs by your offense will do that. Poor tackling and the lack of pressure will get you beat. Plummer did not have a great game by his standards if he had, they would have scored 50. It all starts up front.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
No, the counter is why run a long developing pass play on 1st down on their 16. A quick pass play would have been fine there.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Last year at this point... we were trending in wrong direction. Trending in the correct direction now. Tough way to lose last night. Louisville is a better team (imo)... we did miss an opportunity for sure.

The quote from Coach McKay was vintage. He was asked once by a reporter in Tampa: "Coach, what about your team's execution?" Sayeth the Man, "I am for it." I still don't understand why he left USC for that kind of aggravation. Money, I guess.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They kept talking about his speed, but his ball skills (ability to track the ball, adjust his body to the catch...and actually catch it with his hands) is looking like the best on our team. His first catch along the sideline over a bigger defender was one of the best catches I've seen from a GT WR in a while. Then to be able to jump that high and make sure he was inbounds in the endzone was also fantastic.

That WR group is going to be REALLY good. That's the most speed in that group since probably the Waller and Smelter years...and Smelter really wasn't that fast.
That catch along the sideline and the one in the end zone, I think, reminded me of Smelter, Waller, Jeune, and any number of outsized wide receivers in the past who could go and get the ball. Impressive.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Positives-
Very impressed with the freshmen- Cooley and Singleton, they both look fast and Singleton made two amazing catches.

King looked good and made some throws on the same page with the WR that we haven’t seen at GT in a long-time, I think this passing game will get much better as the season goes on.

a GT TE caught a touchdown!

defense held UL to 1/11 on 3rd down

Negatives-
DL got pushed around some and got zero pressure on the QB

bad tackling, especially in the 2nd half

missed field goals

we did not seem to adjust on offense after halftime to counter UL’s defensive adjustments

the sack and fumble by King was just a killer, I thought for sure we were about to take the lead

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like they controlled the middle most of the game and took away the edge in the second half. That puts it all on the QB and the D to win. 40+ points is enough to win with a good D.
They were tough in the middle all game. We were able to loosen them up a little by going wide with plays and hitting some quick passes. But once they adjusted and found their rhythm there wasn’t much available. Defense played extremely well but were on the field for what felt like forever due to turnovers or our offense getting shut down.

Maybe we really aren’t very good but Louisville looked as athletic as any team we will face this year except for uga.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our left guard gave up the sack, not the left tackle. It was a pitiful attempt at a block. Haynes rolled to his right but the DT still made the sack.
More of a general statement than that one play. I have spectrum so missed watching the game. Had to keep up with gtswarm chat.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I didn't feel like Louisville was faster than us or beating us to the edge, but I'll have to go back and rewatch. They did seem to be on us immediately whenever we threw a screen though, and their tackling looked much better than ours.
they also lost one of their KEY DBs early on the helmet hit.That hurt them A LOT I believe.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck

A pain ridden crowd 😂. My family pulled me out of there as well, I didn’t fight it. All is well tech family.
We got glimpses of what we wanted to see on offense. Jitters, mistakes, misses, whatever.
If defense can dial up the pressure we still can be a 5-6 win team that finishes strong and recruits well again in the off season.

Give Key your full support because that’s what a GT fan does.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Something on the order of 14M customers of Spectrum were blacked out by ESPN/Charter/Disney. Plus a lot of them in the southeast. I am about ready to drop spectrum cable and go streaming.