Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Cardinals fan think we are deep at DL. Seems to be opposite of our thoughts.

Screenshot_20201010-120302_Chrome.jpg

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
More on the game.

The Good:

The D had 8 TFLs and 3 sacks. That's 8 TFLs. This isn't at all bad, folks.
Also, Clayton did very well; 2.5 sacks and 2 TFLs. I've discounted him before, but he may be as good as advertised. I doubt he'll draw a TE as an assigned blocker in future, however..Doubles for him from now on.
Sims did well under the rush, especially in the second half. Good throws at pretty much the last second. He has a decent release, but the main thing is that he knows how to wait for people to come open, This didn't hurt him against Louisville; their rush is nothing to write home about. In future, well …
The RBs did well again. Imho, we need to split the carries between Gibbs and Smith until Mason comes back. Gibbs is cuter; Smith runs harder. Not much difference. We could have used that 210 lb. guy out there a few times, however.

The Not So Good (You can't call anything much about a 19 point come from behind win bad.):

We had another kick blocked. The only reason this looks like an improvement is that we suck so bad at place kicking. And it was an extra point, not some 50 yard, wind-up FG. This has got to stop.
They had 471 yards of total offense, converted 9 of 17 3rd downs and 2 of 3 4ths, and held the ball 13 minutes more then we did. Ok, we made up for this a bit with the 8 TFLs and 3 sacks, but this is not a sterling D effort. We can't count on our opponents giving us the game with unforced turnovers going forward.
Why, in the name of all that's Holy, isn't Sims running the ball more? Ok, I get that we don't want him hurt, but if he got 10 or so dedicated carries a game, the running would be much more of a threat. He's big and fast; no reason to not use him.
We stettled down in the second.half, but we had some very dumb penalties in the first. I don't know what the coaches said at the half, but they need to start saying it at the start of the game. We looked well coached for the first time this year in the second half of this game.

Bottom Line:

If Tech can build on the second half performance then we could become a much more dangerous outfit. I don't know if our record would improve - I doubt it will - but we can make for some interesting moments for our opponents. And who knows? We might upset a couple of them.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Very happy for the win. Here are some thoughts:
1. Offense - oh my. Sims made a couple of runs that were very helpful, but he was NOT accurate at all. He missed at least 4 throws to wide open receivers that could have made the difference in the game. We stalled at 2nd and 3, 2nd and 4, 2nd and 1 and almost didn't score on 1st at goal at the 5. On the upside, he didn't throw an interception. Still made a bad decision a couple of times, but much better than it has been.
2. Defense - we are very inconsistent. It's hard to get excited about a good play becuase the next one they do something stupid. Not a lot of pass rush. Corners getting beat! Straighten out the inconsistency and we might be pretty good on D.
3. ST - I'll just leave this one alone - we all know this is a massive problem that is not getting fixed.
4. Lousiville really handed us the win with their fumbles and missed passes! Thank you, Louisville!
5. Refs - fortunately, this did not change the outcome of the game, but wow, they missed MANY calls. If I can see holding from the nosebleed section in the north endzone multiple times, then there is a problem. And no flag on the targeting call when 2 refs staring right at it. And....this one kills me - I can see not calling things because you missed seeing it, but calling something that couldn't have happened??? The "roughing the passer call" - there was not a GT body within 5' of the guy! And, he didn't fall to the ground - he slipped and put his hand down! Unacceptable in my opinion to call something you didn't even see!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately there is a slight difference in the nfl and college on that rule. In college if it crosses the end line it’s a touchback where in the nfl you can toss it back if your feet or the ball doesn't touch the end zone. It seemed to me the ball crosses the line and it was a touchback as ruled on the field. I hate that rule.

Good point. I still would’ve preferred to see a replay and hear the announcers talk about the effort and another great punt from Harvin than listen to that lady blabber about UM and the one guy bring up the Heisman again.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was losing my mind when they were talking about the Miami-Clemson game for 5 minutes totally ignoring the game they should be calling- total disrespect. No one watching that game have a rat’s *ss about what they were saying.
I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a commentator to shut up more than I did during that stretch. It really takes a special kind of stupidity to be worse than Phil Simms or Troy Aikman.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Interestingly, in ACC games only, we are 8th in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense. Before today’s games of course.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be really curious to see what adjustments we made defensively at halftime.

Anybody know a defensive expert 'round these parts? Lookin at you, @Ibeeballin

I think someone else may have mentioned it, but I noticed they rolled Carpenter down into the box a lot. Seemed like he took over as the spy for their QB. Curry in comparison ran what looked to be into a deep drop but couldn’t follow him once the play started.

I’m definitely not an expert, but that was one thing that stood out to me. I did see several stunts with the front four late that helped create pressure, but I’m not sure if that’s something we weren’t doing or just didn’t have as much success with earlier because of the threat of run.

Also seemed like the ends did a better job keeping contain and we may have fired the nickel a few times or changed his read because Oliver made some nice TFLs on those stretch plays.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Proud of the team and I hate to ever complain about a win but we have got to get faster at LB. To be fair, L’villes combination of Hawkins and Cunningham is special from a speed standpoint but we were playing catch-up all night with those two.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I was losing my mind when they were talking about the Miami-Clemson game for 5 minutes totally ignoring the game they should be calling- total disrespect. No one watching that game have a rat’s *ss about what they were saying.
I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a commentator to shut up more than I did during that stretch. It really takes a special kind of stupidity to be worse than Phil Simms or Troy Aikman.
I was screaming at the TV cause i was so livid that they would SCHEDULE an interview in the middle of the game and just completely ignore what was happening on the field!!! This is something that should have been done at halftime! They often talk about other things going on in the league during games but they always at least pause during plays and discuss what is happening on the field. After that interview I ended up putting it on mute and syncing the radio broadcast.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The replay shown in the stadium was clearly a touchback. Don't know what might have been shown on TV
There were two primary views they showed. The first was from behind the endzone looking out and you can see that the player loses control of the ball as he is stretching out for the endzone. The issue with that view is there is no way to tell where the ball is in relation to the plane of the endzone.
The second view was from the sideline looking directly down the goal-line. This view should have provided the exact position of the ball at the time he loses control and determine if he still had possession as it crossed the plane. The issue with this view is that the line judge was standing right at the pylon and completely blocked the view of the ball.
There was no view that definitively showed that he lost the ball BEFORE breaking the plane.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If we can’t become a factory, then what are we waiting 2-3 more seasons for? That level below the factories is pretty obtainable right now.

Here’s my thoughts. It’s the difference between a low 3 star and high 3 star. Right now, we are competitive, sans factories, with anyone when we play clean. The reason is we have a legit QB, legit skilled position players, and other teams also shoot themselves in the foot like we saw last night. This is where Paul Johnson had us for a lot of his tenure. Some years we won 6 other years we would get the breaks and win 9-10. But we also had the 3 win season and converted players At QB. I believe Collins, because of the talent he will get on campus, can move us to the point where instead of just being in the mix, we’ll be the favorite in the Coastal. In other words, we’ll be way more consistent in winning the games we should win. If Collins can get us to that point by year 4 then the recruiting will continue to get better and better because talent attracts talent. The problem GT has had for decades is the inability to stay consistently in the mix for a sustained period. I’ll carry that Penn State loss to my grave. I believe Collins, regardless of his coaching acumen, can get the talent to be a top Coastal team year in and year out. Then we get the special years where we magically beat the Clemsons and UGA’s. I don’t think most fans realize the importance of players like Sims and Gibbs are to attracting the next recruit. Collins can now email game footage to that 9th grader who may be the next GT legend. That’s how the factories recruit and Collins knows the formula.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
When I got home and reviewed it on the ACC Condensed Game version. I was astonished to see that at about 10 minutes and change into the fourth quarter Louisville was still ahead. I agree with you that when they kicked it in the 4th quarter they were basically hoping that Sims or someone would turn the ball over for a gimme.
It felt like they kinda gave up mid way through the 4th quarter. The way they were acting on the field and the way their coaches were calling things was pretty strange. If we finished the game like that we would probably be roasting Collins right now.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I don’t know if I’ve ever been that frustrated watching a broadcast in my life. I literally muted the tv for like 5 minutes after she had been going for at least 5 minutes.

What made me the most angry was the Harvin seemingly pinned them inside the 5. One of our guys looked like he made a great play to keep the ball from going in the endzone and then two other guys downed it.

We got not replay, no comment, just some woman chatting about a game like it was the most I lost any thing she’s ever talked about without taking a breath. Did anyone else think the Vall should’ve been downed inside the 5 there or am I crazy?
I thought we downed it at the 1, but no replay and no commentary made me question myself

Milwaukee

Banned
Just looked at the stats. The stats show that it was a game between two evenly matched teams.
The difference was points off turnovers. 19-0. 19 points was the score difference. Exhibit A as to why turnovers matter so much.

Don’t let the final score fool too many people. It was extremely close. We were losing in the 4th qtr and they had the ball and were driving. We just finally finished like savages are supposed to. We earned every bit of it and Lville gave us a battle.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a fun game to watch, especially the 4th quarter. That drive before halftime was so important.
Defense was not good other than the takeaways. Still can't get off the field.
Offense finally got points rather than just yards. Sims has some great moments - though he still has alot to improve upon as a passer. Gibbs is going to be a heck of a talent on the Flats.
The 4th quarter was the best all-around quarter we've played this year - O, D, and ST.
ST were simply poor rather than atrocious. Another blocked kick, one long return, but the punting and KO coverage was good outside of that.

Nice to get a win before we have to deal with Clemson next week (that offense against our D is scary to think about).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
One thing I will have to eat some crow from last year. Patenaude really does seem to try to call plays that play to our players strength. I was not a fan last year. But I really can’t complaint with any of his games called this year. Even the losses. Of course there are plays here and there but that is well every coach. I really have hope he will continues to be able to develops Sims.
I agree that the OC play calling, for whatever reason, is not as annoying as last year and at times is downright good. I am still unhappy with the really good chances to move the sticks and we don't (such as the 2nd and 4, the second and 3, and the second and 1 which we did not convert and the drives ended. The call on the reverse pass by Brown was an outstanding play call as were the couple of QB draws...