Louisville - 1/23

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Not having a PG kills our team. When your opponents know that your point guard is ineffective, they are able to exploit this. There is no penetration threat with the guys we have playing PG, limited shooting skills and their passing is questionable. How are you going to win in the ACC with that?! And I agree with the above, how can you not recruit a PG to come to GT in ATL and play in the ACC after all these years, especially when we once had a rich history of PGs. I hope in my lifetime that I will see a good program again at GT.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you look at the list of PGs we recruited over the 1st few years under BG, it's a pretty impressive list. Off the top of my head, they'd include Cat Barber, Tyler Ennis, Ryan Arcidiacono, James Robinson, Kris Dunn, Monte Morris, & Tim Quarterman.

The combination of the failed Solomon Poole experience combined with mediocre to poor results & poor player development have left us barren at PG the past couple of years and while we're in it for a couple of very good 2017 PG prospects, I'm not convinced we're close to closing any in a year when that MUST happen.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the list of PGs we recruited over the 1st few years under BG, it's a pretty impressive list. Off the top of my head, they'd include Cat Barber, Tyler Ennis, Ryan Arcidiacono, James Robinson, Kris Dunn, Monte Morris, & Tim Quarterman.

The combination of the failed Solomon Poole experience combined with mediocre to poor results & poor player development have left us barren at PG the past couple of years and while we're in it for a couple of very good 2017 PG prospects, I'm not convinced we're close to closing any in a year when that MUST happen.
That's the scary thing, that I'm afraid that we are going to continue to be at the bottom of the ACC for the next couple of years. Especially when you look at our roster for next year. Does he pull in more grad transfers? What are your thoughts?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
lol? So you're really doubling down on the "watch them play" argument?

Also, in terms of upside the 13-14 team beat 7th ranked Cuse on the road, who actually finished ranked 14th, and in 12-13 we won @#6 miami who finished ranked 5th. What's your point?
Well my point now is that you missed my point. I said legit top 25 win along with watching the team play. Depth of individual talent this year, which can be recognized independent of scheme and results, is apparent to me.

@ #6 Miami was definitely BG's best win in my book. That Miami team was better than this year's UVA team.

Fair enough on Syracuse's ranking. Sadly as a fan they were not playing as a top 25 team as I said on this site when the game was played. The Orange lost 6 of their last 9 during the stretch that GT beat them, the late season swoon capped by losing as a 6-seed (which mathematically isn't #14 to begin with) in the first round of the NCAA tourney. This year's UVA team is (currently) better by my estimation.

How much have you watched this year's team vs. previous years? What are your thoughts on adjustments BG could be making with the talent we have, using today's game as an example?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well my point now is that you missed my point. I said legit top 25 win along with watching the team play. Depth of individual talent this year, which can be recognized independent of scheme and results, is apparent to me.

Depth of individual talent? I'm not seeing it. Hunt is a great player who would be a key starter for most ACC teams and Smith/Mitchell/Jacobs would be solid role players but after that I don't see anyone else getting much burn for a contending team. I don't see how this team has more depth or talent than the 13-14 squad with Golden/Holsey/Miller/Carter/Hunt. And compounding the issue is the obvious lack of ACC level talent at the point guard position as well as the transient nature of our team that has us in a perpetual state of lacking team cohesion normally gained from years of playing together.

@ #6 Miami was definitely BG's best win in my book. That Miami team was better than this year's UVA team.

Fair enough on Syracuse's ranking. Sadly as a fan they were not playing as a top 25 team as I said on this site when the game was played. The Orange lost 6 of their last 9 during the stretch that GT beat them, the late season swoon capped by losing as a 6-seed (which mathematically isn't #14 to begin with) in the first round of the NCAA tourney. This year's UVA team is (currently) better by my estimation.

UVA is currently 3-3 in ACC play and lost to VT and FSU as well as GW early in the year with the common denominator being all games on the road. I'd agree that cuse wasn't playing like a top 25 team then but I find it hard to argue that UVA is playing like a top 25 team now, especially on the road. Also, in 13-14, I believe Cuse was a 3 seed that year and lost in the second, technically third, round game. Maybe I'm looking at something wrong.

How much have you watched this year's team vs. previous years? What are your thoughts on adjustments BG could be making with the talent we have, using today's game as an example?

I've watched about as much as previous years. Very little OOC outside of the more interesting games, and catching various amounts of the ACC games. Usually most of the second half and sometimes parts of the first.

Today's game? Jorgenson and Heath played far too much. We need to gamble on having Smith and Hunt able to handle the point guard duties for good portions of the game. Simply put Smith and Heath/Jorgy just don't bring enough pressure to opposing guards nor play making ability for the rest of the team to have those two combining for 38 minutes. Having Hunt and Smith slide up a spot would allow us to play Stephens more giving us a greater chance that either he or Smith goes off, which we really need to be able to win games. It's a gamble because if the shots aren't falling then we likely lose by an even greater amount because of worse ball handling but losing by 14 instead of 4 isn't really that big of a deal. Otherwise the thing that needs to be done for the long term good of the program, and should have been done last year, is getting Lammers more experience by playing him more and guys like cox/sampson/white less. Bite the bullet.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The only questions surrounding our basketball program is sad ones. imho. How empty will McCamish be for pre-season game next year, and its corollary, when will it be empty for ACC games? (NB-It will never be "empty" for ACC games because of the away fans buying tickets, but empty of GT fans is what I mean...)

Oh, and is it baseball season yet? Men's a Women's basketball both mired in bottom 4 in the ACC with all of one win each. Can we drop any lower? Never mind...there's always next year...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It is dejavu. We lose another close game, and there are people blaming talent.

Surely after a while folks can recognize that there is a pattern to our basketball results? Different players each year, same results...what's the common denominator?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember how that Cuse team had been playing when we beat them? Pretty sure they were sliding when we took em down. There was an injury there somewhere because I think they lost first round of the tournament too after being undefeated most of the season? I am not completely sure of this though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Ah, yes, if I just would have kept reading all would have been revealed to me....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It is dejavu. We lose another close game, and there are people blaming talent.

Gregory just has to get his players I here
You can't turn a program around overnight
He graduates his players
Really nice guy
Finals were just a few weeks ago
It was cold outside, we never play well during the winter months
He won the NIT at Dayton
He's a nice guy
There is a single player in the 2027 class who was seen wearing a GT onsie 7 years ago, says he talked to BG once, should keep BG around to see if he can land him.
The 2013 recruiting class is huge for BG
The 2013 recruiting class didn't pan out, but
The 2014 recruiting class is huge for BG
The 2014 recruiting class didn't pan out, but
The 2015 recruiting class is Huge for BG
The 2015 recruiting class didn't pan out, but
It's not his fault that the best player in the program completely blindsided him and transferred
What do you mean he doesn't develop players. Look at Daniel Miller!

Just a few of my favorites over the years.

Last edited:

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
He graduates his players
Really nice guy
He won the NIT at Dayton
He's a nice guy
There is a single player in the 2027 class who was seen wearing a GT onsie 7 years ago, says he talked to BG once, should keep BG around to see if he can land him.
It's not his fault that the best player in the program completely blindsided him and transferred

4718_heading.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He graduates his players
Really nice guy
He won the NIT at Dayton
He's a nice guy

There was no particular tactic in yesterday's game that I disagree with. The guys played their hearts out. I think they clearly like playing for CBG. But the outcome of these games is unchanged from the result we have seen far too often.

It's hard to find more than a hand full of likely wins going forward this year, so I am guessing our guys will be watching the tournament thinking about what could have been. But, I agree CBG is a nice guy. Too bad George Mason doesn't need a basketball coach He would fit in nicely there.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The cherry on top is that two kids that GT recruited, including one we were a legit finalist & potentially made more sense for was a huge difference maker for Louisville beating us.

The way that regularly happens, gotta figure Malik Beasley & Dwayne Bacon will have 30 each against us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Depth of individual talent? I'm not seeing it. Hunt is a great player who would be a key starter for most ACC teams and Smith/Mitchell/Jacobs would be solid role players but after that I don't see anyone else getting much burn for a contending team. I don't see how this team has more depth or talent than the 13-14 squad with Golden/Holsey/Miller/Carter/Hunt. And compounding the issue is the obvious lack of ACC level talent at the point guard position as well as the transient nature of our team that has us in a perpetual state of lacking team cohesion normally gained from years of playing together.

UVA is currently 3-3 in ACC play and lost to VT and FSU as well as GW early in the year with the common denominator being all games on the road. I'd agree that cuse wasn't playing like a top 25 team then but I find it hard to argue that UVA is playing like a top 25 team now, especially on the road. Also, in 13-14, I believe Cuse was a 3 seed that year and lost in the second, technically third, round game. Maybe I'm looking at something wrong.

I've watched about as much as previous years. Very little OOC outside of the more interesting games, and catching various amounts of the ACC games. Usually most of the second half and sometimes parts of the first.

Today's game? Jorgenson and Heath played far too much. We need to gamble on having Smith and Hunt able to handle the point guard duties for good portions of the game. Simply put Smith and Heath/Jorgy just don't bring enough pressure to opposing guards nor play making ability for the rest of the team to have those two combining for 38 minutes. Having Hunt and Smith slide up a spot would allow us to play Stephens more giving us a greater chance that either he or Smith goes off, which we really need to be able to win games. It's a gamble because if the shots aren't falling then we likely lose by an even greater amount because of worse ball handling but losing by 14 instead of 4 isn't really that big of a deal. Otherwise the thing that needs to be done for the long term good of the program, and should have been done last year, is getting Lammers more experience by playing him more and guys like cox/sampson/white less. Bite the bullet.
I understand where you're coming from and agree the comparison is not black and white. We may be seeing different shades of gray.

You're right on 'Cuse's seed. I must have mentally blocked everything about that year's team after Ennis hit his half court winner over Pitt. I remembered losing to an 11-seed and forgot the team had the luxury of playing a 14-seed first. It's still beside the main point - they were not playing like a top 25 team. The ranking was based on the coattails of the first half of the season. UVA, despite its losses, is playing better now than that Syracuse team and it's not close. UVA has a coherent offense. If we're just talking quality of W/L as the gauge, UVA has beaten Miami and Clemson during their current stretch.

Imo, GT's 13-14 squad was seriously flawed. I think Golden was a SG playing PG... I'd rather have Smith. I'll take White over Holsey any day, and I don't think White is starting material. Hunt this year is better than Hunt that year. Miller, no argument, would be the best big we have this year. Carter, an enigma like many we have now. That year's Carter was as talented as our current rolodex of Mitchell/Jacobs, imo.

I think if you watched more of the games you'd at least see the merit of the "level of play" argument. I thought this year's GT team looked different than the last couple years in closing out several games, including Tennessee, VCU, and UVA. The difference this year being confidence and ramped-up aggressiveness down the stretch that suggested to me they were mentally tougher. True the team recently looks eerily familiar in 2nd halves compared to last year (which isn't the year we're comparing). My takeaway there is that BG is proving he can coach any team off the cliff. He might be in his own head now.

Re: adjustments, disagree on playing Q more. His weaknesses on both ends are being exposed. Tadric would be the better complement, imo, to the Smith/MGH backcourt because he can do at least 2-3 things better than the other G/SF options. Also, imo, we don't need to bite any bullet with Lammers. He's already experienced and talented enough to get more minutes. Additional experience is now the cherry on top.