Looking at the roster...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
According to my quick count, we only have 5 seniors and 14 juniors. That is a very young team. Young team + new coaching staff + CGC = :wtf::wtf: ?
But if CGC needs an excuse for lack of progress this season, it's a possibility. Worth trying to get another $3 million, amiright ?
So we’re young again?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder, however, if the new OC will do a better job of calling plays that help cover up deficiencies in the OL?

In the past some complained about CPJ’s stubbornness in calling certain plays over and over. My take is that he recognized when his OL was overmatched and he did not want to give into the defense by calling plays that were going to end disastrously. It required patience and nerves but running a play that gets two yards is better than running a play that ends with a 12 yard loss or a turnover.

Anyway, last year it felt like the OL was being asked to do too much. I would rather them be good at a few things and only stretch themselves beyond that when we are playing well. If that makes sense.
I'm looking forward to seeing what wrinkles CCL can come up with to compensate for our line deficiencies.

HelluvaPE

Georgia Tech Fan
Ouch…. Harsh

QB- Zach Gipson is going into his 4th yr. Sims shows the tools to be a star, but as stated he must remain healthy and control the ball

RB- Gibbs leaving hurt, but Smith showed he’s more than capable of hitting the HR and getting tough yards

WR- I think this position gets a bad rap. It is my opinion, that this position benefitted the least under CDP. Scheme didn’t help them get open a lot. I thought the Carter was the best WR, but Sanders was the best playmaker. I’m looking for Rutherford getting a full-time opportunity whether outside or inside the numbers. I think he can be a serious for CCL

TE- Still a question, need these guys to better all around and need them to be Sims safety blanket

OL- whew… Their performance determines the fate of CGC. 11 scholly guys at spring. Some criticized playing Franklin last yr and burning his shirt but that appears to be great move since Minihan is no longer there.

Leftwich, Tchio, Franklin, Quick, Williams doesn’t look bad getting off the bus, but these guys need to play very well. I expect the portal doors to be open

WDE- Kennard can replace Domineck production, but we need KK to step it up and be 7-10 Sack guy. CGCC has screwed up a lot, but rotating players may turn out to be beneficial. Harris, Collins both saw significant

SDE- Ivey is biggest lost imo. I always use the rule of 10 for the front 7 to gauge if they were productive. You TFLs should 10% of your total tackles or higher. Ivey was 32 Tackles & 6TFLs. Thought he would come into his own this yr and be. That high draft pick for us. Sylvain led the team in pressure rate and 4* Josh Robinson showed flashes

DBs- Can this group get any worse? I believe if the scheme fundamentals and communication improve alone this defense can be enough to not lose us games as they did last yr

I very believe this team can 6-8 gms not just because of our roster, but the complete mess of rosters throughout the ACC coastal are and the futility of FSU coming in with no answer at QB along with 4 consecutive losing seasons
You skipped right over the DTs and LBs… great analysis as always though.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You skipped right over the DTs and LBs… great analysis as always though.

DT- is a wildcard. I’m excited about Biggers. This off-season conditioning is big for him (no pun intended). We need him to be a 35-40 snap guy. Hopefully he develops like the other massive 3* DT from NC that played for UGA. Makius Scott has lost weight and trimmed up. Hopefully this allows him to be a reliable, productive guy. Chimedza, Stone, Douse, Miles & Lockett all bring the size but we need someone to step up and be a force

LB- coach Semore has to get this group to understand football and not play football. Eley in particular. Thomas is an enigma. He’s a playmaker but doesn’t, imo,have the frame to handle OL for the run and looks uncomfortable in space vs the pass. A solid DL will be his best friend by keeping him clean to make unabated tackles

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
DT- is a wildcard. I’m excited about Biggers. This off-season conditioning is big for him (no pun intended). We need him to be a 35-40 snap guy. Hopefully he develops like the other massive 3* DT from NC that played for UGA. Makius Scott has lost weight and trimmed up. Hopefully this allows him to be a reliable, productive guy. Chimedza, Stone, Douse, Miles & Lockett all bring the size but we need someone to step up and be a force

LB- coach Semore has to get this group to understand football and not play football. Eley in particular. Thomas is an enigma. He’s a playmaker but doesn’t, imo,have the frame to handle OL for the run and looks uncomfortable in space vs the pass. A solid DL will be his best friend by keeping him clean to make unabated tackles
I am high on Biggers as well. He looked "big" when on the field last year and was not easily moved. He could be a force in the middle this year.
I looked at our roster and was surprised there were no seniors listed at DL. Most are freshmen and sophomores but there are some with a COVID year included. This is a young team eligibility wise even in GC fourth year.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I sort of feel like Franklin may be the most important player on the team in terms of keeping him upright and in games.
Not only is he going to be calling the signals for the OL and needing to consistently put the FB in the QB's hands, if he goes down do we have anyone else who has even played a snap a center in a game?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I sort of feel like Franklin may be the most important player on the team in terms of keeping him upright and in games.
Not only is he going to be calling the signals for the OL and needing to consistently put the FB in the QB's hands, if he goes down do we have anyone else who has even played a snap a center in a game?

I thought Lay had played a decent amount of center.