Looking at the roster...

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
This post maybe a little long winded but I was looking at the updated roster on ramblinwreck.com and here are some conclusions I came too and I want to see what you all think. As I look IMO my biggest concern is our depth at LB and DE.

QB: We know what is there and we all hope to see Sims produce in his 3rd year.

RB: This room looks vastly different but certainly serviceable. D. Smith will surprise us I think.

WR: Plenty of depth and names that could and should step up. Blackburn could be big.

OL: Definitely some questions but I think these group will hold up okay.

DE: I am concerned with the depth here. Someone help me I see K. White, K. Kennard, K. Harris, J. Robinson, N. Collins and Yondjouen. Definitely need someone here to step up.

DT: not as concerned with depth here especially with freshmen addition. Need playmakers to emerge.

LB: Very concerned with depth. I see Eley, Tatum, Thomas, Meiguez, Franks and
Efford. Maybe I am over thinking bodies needed.

CB: Plenty of bodies here but this group has to have some continuity and skill rise to the top.

S: I hope to see better performances from this group with the changing of the guard. I hope Edwards and the transfers play a big role

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This post maybe a little long winded but I was looking at the updated roster on ramblinwreck.com and here are some conclusions I came too and I want to see what you all think. As I look IMO my biggest concern is our depth at LB and DE.

RB: This room looks vastly different but certainly serviceable. D. Smith will surprise us I think.

WR: Plenty of depth and names that could and should step up. Blackburn could be big.

DE: I am concerned with the depth here. Someone help me I see K. White, K. Kennard, K. Harris, J. Robinson, N. Collins and Yondjouen. Definitely need someone here to step up.

DT: not as concerned with depth here especially with freshmen addition. Need playmakers to emerge.

CB: Plenty of bodies here but this group has to have some continuity and skill rise to the top.

S: I hope to see better performances from this group with the changing of the guard. I hope Edwards and the transfers play a big role
If we run a 4-2-5 most of the time, we won't have a depth issue at LB. But that will make where we lost 3 DE's last week a glaring issue.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I'm mostly concerned with the head coach...haha just messing with you. I agree, I am concerned with our DE's and OL. I think we don't have depth there.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

a COUPLE OF YEARS AGO OR SO. Tech got an ol off the portal and he was3rd string all sec! But for us he looked lost at times!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
a COUPLE OF YEARS AGO OR SO. Tech got an ol off the portal and he was3rd string all sec! But for us he looked lost at times!
Are you saying he was 3rd team all SEC or 3rd string on an SEC team? One of those two would perhaps help you understand how he looked to you.

JacketFan137

Banned
For some reason they are listing Knight as an "athlete". He's an LB and a pretty good one.
he originally committed to play QB for paul johnson and when it was clear he wasn’t gonna play qb he changed positions. i would imagine that is why he’s listed as an athlete since i believe that’s what he was listed at coming out

JacketFan137

Banned
I read in the AJC today that we have 8 scholarship players available on the first day of spring practice on the OL, 11 all together. Last year we had 21.
That's our biggest problem by far, IMO.
depth is nice but some of our starters were so bad you have to question if the 21 on the roster were much more than camp bodies. no way the bottom 6 players had any reasonable expectations to start any time soon.

would also imagine we fill in that depth with the portal if possible. if we just want depth i’m sure there’s guys out there that will be decent

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I'm glad you see many fewer concerns than I. Depth is one thing but we have a lot of need for guys to step up on first unit.
The Ol line could be a huge weakness .Starting now with a new ctr with really light OL experience everywhere is a real blow.
Really the whole DEF is a big question. There is talent but very unproven.
I too think Smith will be fine,.but what happens when he's injured?
Funny, now Sims looks to be one of the strengths of the team as far as dependable production.

JacketFan137

Banned

i’m looking forward to the new faces stepping up. we had a lot of experience but some of that experience really let us down, especially in the secondary. on defense in all parts but LB i felt we left a lot to be desired. the defense quite literally can’t get worse so hopefully the fresh blood makes a difference.

offense i think you left out an important part at the TE position. benson’s size and speed could be a matchup nightmare. i hope long can scheme around that

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm glad you see many fewer concerns than I. Depth is one thing but we have a lot of need for guys to step up on first unit.
The Ol line could be a huge weakness .Starting now with a new ctr with really light OL experience everywhere is a real blow.
Funny, now Sims looks to be one of the strengths of the team as far as dependable production.
dontae is definitely our best back do losing him is a major blow but i would consider that RB production relies so heavily on what you’re getting from your line, the bigger concern will be blocking.

hall is a great runner as well. some things i like in these highlights:

1. Breakaway speed. if he gets space that’s 10+ yards. he is gonna be one of the fastest players on the field every time.

2. at the 1 minute mark you see him cut back on a zone run. i think this is gonna be big for us running a lot of RPOs. that cut back is basically what you see teams like the vikings and 9ers do with their fast ball carriers.

3. lots of falling forward when there’s contact. that’s what you need to see.

i don’t think he’s gibbs, and i think dontae is better but hall can be a playmaker when getting the ball in space

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My biggest worry looking at all position groups is that, other than QB which should naturally get better with experience and better coaching, im not sure any other position group should be better next year than last year. It seems like at nearly every position we lost key guys and now we are relying on guys who haven't played many snaps. OL in particular looks like it may be rough sledding, unless the transfers just ball out. We need some young guys to explode this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Chip Long is going to be facing a huge problem - how to move the ball with a weak offensive line.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
I definitely have concerns across the board but when I was looking it just felt like we were thin at DE almost to the the point that some of our tackles may have to assist in that endeavor. I agree with a 4-2-5 alignment that linebacker depth is not major concern but we are fresh at that spot less Eley. I concede the Oline is thinner than I thought but for some odd reason I feel they will be better than a year ago. Otherwise, on DEF we are going to see some new faces so if you like that this year maybe interesting.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I read in the AJC today that we have 8 scholarship players available on the first day of spring practice on the OL, 11 all together. Last year we had 21.
That's our biggest problem by far, IMO.
Our OL depth has been a problem since forever it seems. Why should this year be any different. It is our weakest position group IMO. If they can't protect QB and open holes for Smith and others, we are not any better than last year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Our OL depth has been a problem since forever it seems. Why should this year be any different. It is our weakest position group IMO. If they can't protect QB and open holes for Smith and others, we are not any better than last year.
The only difference this year is that it's probably even worse. We really need Tchio and Quick to help us out.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Who is our RB that gets the good tough yardage inside like Mason, is it one of the incoming FR?
It’s absolutely the incoming freshman. Dude is a tank. Long is also smart enough to put the QB under center and will utilize a big ole blocker at fullback. Long will not stick to something not working. 3rd and 1 will be a lot different with Long than PNode.