Looking at the roster...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am most concerned about our OL depth. Two or three injuries would be devastating IMO. Hopefully we are able to grab a couple more OL from the Portal before the season starts...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think Chip Long's problem is going to be worse than Patenaude's.
But if the QB hits the wr , how will we know..

Latest year Sims was rightfully getting nervous that he had time and that sr would be in right spot w separation.

If the:QB doesn't and the ol is worse, how sad .......

We have plenty of room for improvement.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There is a dude named Chris Landry who runs his mouth on the radio and likes to lick dwag nads . His resume contains some time with pro teams. I heard him say a month ago that we may be presently surprised with the kid from Akron, especially his arm.

For what it's worth.
Well, Collins’ job seems to be on the line this season, so, if his best QB is on the sidelines this season and the wins are too few, Collins will have no one to blame but himself.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I know this isn’t ideal but I think we may see Tyler Gibson and maybe even the other freshman OL- (Best) get major playing time this season, Gibson looks like our most talented young OL to step on the flats in a while imo.
If Mooney gets here, he will probably be able help also. Keeping my fingers crossed that he gets his procedural issues resolved soon!

JacketFan137

Banned
Well, Collins’ job seems to be on the line this season, so, if his best QB is on the sidelines this season and the wins are too few, Collins will have no one to blame but himself.
based on the film i have a hard time believing gibson is the best qb on the roster

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IF any of the true FR OL are playing this year then that is likely a very bad sign imo. We are not recruiting the level of OL that you would expect to play as FR in a P5 conference.

The OL and DL are by far my two biggest concerns. The OL looks shallow and unexperienced - we are really relying on 2 transfers who didn't play much at all to be starter quality players. Probably 2 injuries on the OL would tank it.
On the DL, the DE's and DT's have some experience but not alot and were not the starters last year, so can they be better than last year's starters this year.

Without significant improvement from last season in those 2 areas I don't think we have much of a chance to improve regardless of whether we have better players at other skill positions.

It's just questions all over the place that we are hoping we get positive answers to.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
he originally committed to play QB for paul johnson and when it was clear he wasn’t gonna play qb he changed positions. i would imagine that is why he’s listed as an athlete since i believe that’s what he was listed at coming out
He played both QB and LB in high school. He moved to LB, then got a tryout at QB that apparently didn't work out. He's been an LB in the games, however, and a talented one. I'm not sure where this "athlete" stuff came from, unless the staff is considering Knight for a couple of positions still. It'll be nice to find out.

Btw, he would have been another Nesbitt in the spread option, imho. I was sorta looking forward to seeing who would come out on top in a Yates v. Knight standoff at QB. Ah, well …

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This guy didn't compare the two QB's. Only that his arm seems to pretty darn good

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It’s absolutely the incoming freshman. Dude is a tank. Long is also smart enough to put the QB under center and will utilize a big ole blocker at fullback. Long will not stick to something not working. 3rd and 1 will be a lot different with Long than PNode.
The FR LB Eifford? is a 225 lb BULL at TB or FB,,I would love to see him on 3rd down plays

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
With obvious depth issues and lack of very many playmaker's at all 3 levels of the defense, I wouldn't mind us taking a page out of Arkansas's defense and running a 3-3-5. With 3-3-5 you can keep your fun fits and gap integrities while playing a soft zone in behind and utilize the extra speed with the nickel. It's a very good scheme to mask deficiency especially against some of the offenses we see in the ACC.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If we run a 4-2-5 most of the time, we won't have a depth issue at LB. But that will make where we lost 3 DE's last week a glaring issue.

With obvious depth issues and lack of very many playmaker's at all 3 levels of the defense, I wouldn't mind us taking a page out of Arkansas's defense and running a 3-3-5. With 3-3-5 you can keep your fun fits and gap integrities while playing a soft zone in behind and utilize the extra speed with the nickel. It's a very good scheme to mask deficiency especially against some of the offenses we see in the ACC.
I say with how are linebackers set up with DE's we should try running a 3-4

I think all these previous thoughts point to the fact we'll need to fit the D to the roster this season to improve. Until we fill out the DE group and the secondary matures, team defense is the order of the day. I'd rather run bigger up front and scheme pressure than rely on end talent to win for the coming year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
IF any of the true FR OL are playing this year then that is likely a very bad sign imo. We are not recruiting the level of OL that you would expect to play as FR in a P5 conference.
Well, after what we’ve seen for 3 seasons I’d be fine with a junior in high school on the OLine. We have stunk. And we may continue to stink, but I won’t miss any player from last years line. I appreciate the effort but I care about the results more. If we have to start 5 freshmen they can’t be worse.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
On offense, I feel like our success hinges almost entirely on QB output. If Sims plays well, it makes everyone around him better, if not, whelp, struggle bus will be crowded.

JacketFan137

Banned
On offense, I feel like our success hinges almost entirely on QB output. If Sims plays well, it makes everyone around him better, if not, whelp, struggle bus will be crowded.
sims had turnover issues last year but when he actually had time to throw the ball he did well. i also think he looked better in the hurry up which long wants us running anyway so i think that will help

kalld12

Banned
sims had turnover issues last year but when he actually had time to throw the ball he did well. i also think he looked better in the hurry up which long wants us running anyway so i think that will help
I'm no stranger to this board with my criticism of Sims, but i can agree with your statement above. They're were times last year where you saw his true potential, but the continued turnovers just killed us. Sims needs to take a good step forward this year if were to win 4-5 games and for CGC to keep his job. Alot riding on this year, and Sims really does hold the crystal ball for how far this team will go this year. Smart QB play, and pass blocking will be key!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, after what we’ve seen for 3 seasons I’d be fine with a junior in high school on the OLine. We have stunk. And we may continue to stink, but I won’t miss any player from last years line. I appreciate the effort but I care about the results more. If we have to start 5 freshmen they can’t be worse.
Yes, they can. Not to say they will, but it's possible that we very well could have a worse OL than last year.