Looking Ahead - AB

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I've got the 4 returning AB's at the top of the Rotation with Benson as the lone freshman. The other freshmen will all redshirt.

I could see Benson but my thoughts lean toward Cottrell. He is fearless! Would love to see both of them grasp the details well enough to be in the mix in September.

thwgjacket

It seems like we have this conversation about AB's every year. All off-season I posted stats that show every year CPJ has been a head coach he has had AB's with big numbers. In the similar way that a Mike Leach offense allows a QB to be auto-productive this offense allows the AB's to be auto-productive.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
WE had a luxury with so many Abacks. You really should not need more than 4 and my guess is we will not play many at first of yr with so much inexperience. .

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Glass half full. Snoddy picks up where he left off, and we forget we ever had an Orwin Smith or Roddy Jones or Allen at A Back. He easily could become a 1000 yd rusher next year. Andrews will be more than serviceable, and primarily block for Snoddy. We won't see or need the rotation we did this year. Those two get most of the carries, and will be very effective. Key is to get some depth so we don't wear them out by late October. Our biggest need at A Back might be a reliable receiver.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our coaching staff has shown the ability to develop players at the AB spot. I think CPJ knows how to call plays which get the best out of the talent he has on the field and thus helps them do well. I'm not worried about AB.

We need blocking, rushing and catching ability from the ABs (in that order) and some of the new kids will rise to the top.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Our coaching staff has shown the ability to develop players at the AB spot. I think CPJ knows how to call plays which get the best out of the talent he has on the field and thus helps them do well. I'm not worried about AB.

We need blocking, rushing and catching ability from the ABs (in that order) and some of the new kids will rise to the top.

I see a lot of comments on the blocking aspect of the position and, yes, that's the 1st priority. It's been my experience that blocking ability comes from the desire or "what to", technique can be taught, desire is paramount to be a good to great blocker! We dang sure know the freshmen coming in are dynamic with the ball in their hands :D

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glass half full. Snoddy picks up where he left off, and we forget we ever had an Orwin Smith or Roddy Jones or Allen at A Back. He easily could become a 1000 yd rusher next year. Andrews will be more than serviceable, and primarily block for Snoddy. We won't see or need the rotation we did this year. Those two get most of the carries, and will be very effective. Key is to get some depth so we don't wear them out by late October. Our biggest need at A Back might be a reliable receiver.
While I agree that Snoddy will most likely be an explosive and productive player next year, predicting him to be a 1000 yard rusher is more than "glass half full", it is more like glass overflowing. It is pretty hard to run for that many yards as an AB in our option attack. The number of carries required just won't happen without some kind of seismic shift in our offensive tendencies. I love your enthusiasm and I hope it happens.

If Snoddy ends up with 1000 yards of TOTAL offense in 2015, which includes receiving yards, I will be over the top ecstatic. Robbie Godhigh blew away all other ABs in our history with about 750 running and 450 receiving last year. I can see Snoddy possibly getting 700 on the ground but I don't know if he can or will replicate Godhigh's ability to run routes, get open and make catches etc.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I think 1000 is possible. Didn't Orwin Smith average 10+ yds/carry as a senior? Snoddy's speed could get him enough long runs to get him there. Can he then get 8-10 carries a game? Lack of experience at B back makes me think Snoddy will be the featured back next year. I might say that with the lack of returning skill players, if Snoddy doesn't approach 1000 yds we might have a long season. If Snoddy is on the field, I think Thomas gets him the ball. Really don't expect to see him blocking much, so he may get 10+ carries a game.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not knocking Snoddy's ability at all, but he can't block for himself. Will whoever plays the other side be able to clear the way? That'll be the key to a 1000 yard season.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm not knocking Snoddy's ability at all, but he can't block for himself. Will whoever plays the other side be able to clear the way? That'll be the key to a 1000 yard season.
This ^^^
Have to have others with the "want to" for A backs to be successful.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think Deon Hill is probably going to be the biggest loss at A back. That kid made so many clutch plays this year and was always in a good position to receive the pitch. And he was a good receiver and blocker as well. Probably the most underrated guy we've had at the position due to the crazy depth rotation.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Deon Hill is probably going to be the biggest loss at A back. That kid made so many clutch plays this year and was always in a good position to receive the pitch. And he was a good receiver and blocker as well. Probably the most underrated guy we've had at the position due to the crazy depth rotation.
So true. The kid had a knack for making plays when they had to be made. It didn't matter if it was just moving the sticks with a 5 yard run, making an important block, or game winning TDs. One play that I'm sure gets overlooked because we lost the game, was the (should have been) game winning catch from TW against VT (with under a minute to go) a couple years ago.

So, yes, he has a history of doing that.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Y'all act like the A back is in a vacuum. This is a system. Right now, we have the best OL in a generation. All but one come back, and we have depth there. Of course injuries and whatever can affect that, but there's also the possibility they get better. We have a tremendous option qb. As the year progressed, he ran the ball less and got it to the right man more. And he's got a very good arm that keeps safeties and corner backs honest. IMHO, the problem we had with edge blocking a couple of years back began with the patched up OL. Throw in a weak armed qb, and plenty of defenders could flow to the edges. Johnson and Thomas (sounds like a law firm) and this OL will create plenty of openings. The good OL means that JT gets the time to execute the option without being blown up in the backfield. Of course we need blocks from the A Backs, but the speed that Thomas and Snoddy will put on the edge means blocking will be easier for whomever fills those slots.

I rewatched the Pitt game today. Snoddy has learned how to hit a crease and accelerate thru it. We haven't had anything like him since Tony Hollings or even Eddie Lee Ivery. Boomer was right, tacklers bounce off him because he's moving so fast. If his mind is right when he comes back from the leg injury, we will see something special next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He made so many clutch plays vs the mutts, he's just as much MVP as Butker or DJ White or the Bbacks. I'm really surprised we didn't go to him more in the FSU game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One of the most undervalued/overlooked play on offense is the open field cut block. It's just one of those things that involves so much from individual effort, tenacity and drilled technique. Even our best lead blockers were not 100% nor close to it. It's kind of like a baseball hitter who bats 300 and is considered a good hitter. I know it's nowhere as low as that, but I wonder what our record best cut block percentage is and who owns it? Probably Roddy Jones or Robbie Godhigh.

Another undervalued asset of having JT running our O is that we don't have to be perfect with our blocks for them to be effective, on the edge or on the LOS or even at the second level.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

The only A-Back to have a 1,000 yard season in the last ten years was Shun White in 2008 for Navy. IF we can get blocks in the alley I think Snoddy has the ability to gain yards in huge chunks.

Remember, on the triple option with two high safeties if we make every single block then only the backside safety is unblocked to make the tackle. At 100% I think Snoddy can outrun them all to the endzone. Make those blocks boys!