Looking Ahead - AB

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yellow Jacket nation is facing quite a bit of turnover at this critical position heading into 2015. In fact, it is probably the greatest reloading challenge we have faced in CPJ's tenure. In prior years we have had to find a way to replace the likes of Roddy Jones, Orwin Smith, or Robbie Godhigh, but never the same number of helmets, so to speak, as this coming season. Collectively, the departing ABs have contributed about 85 rushing YPG and 35 receiving YPG. This is no small number considering that Synjin Days' production at AB early in the season has not been counted. The bulk of his yards came at BB and I was too lazy to separate the stats. While there is no real superstar among the departing, they bring a wide range of talents and abilities to the field each week and a broad base of experience that helps in other less glamorous roles, like blocking.

Gone are: BJ Bostic - 199 rushing yds (5.9 ave) and 2 catches for 37 receiving yards, Tony Zenon - 293 (6.5) and 8 for 161, Charles Perkins - 384 (9.1) and 3 for 84, Deon Hill - 209 (7.2) and 10 for 178, and Sam McNearney who has provided depth. Obviously, none of these guys individually provided the gaudy numbers that Godhigh did before departing. However, when you look back at the number of huge, critical plays that the group, as a whole, produced this season, there will be a sizable void left. Defenders in 2014 couldn't key on certain ABs like they may have in the past. My hat is off to each of these fine gentlemen and I wish them nothing but the best in the future. When you think about it, each of them suffered some personal challenges and setbacks during the middle of their respective tenures and could easily have decided to hang em up. Thank goodness none of them did. They perseveered and came together as a group. Their efforts played a major role in making this season one of the best in the modern era of Ramblin Wreck football. I hope, when they are my age, they can look back at this season in particular and smile. Lord knows it has been fun for me.

Returning are: Broderick Snoddy (RSR)5-9, 190 lbs - 283 rushing yards (10.1 ypc) and 3 receptions for 100 yards, Dennis Andrews (RJR) 6-0, 194 lbs - 105 (7.0) and no catches, Isaiah Willis (RJR) 5-9, 193 lbs - 18 (9.0), and Austin McClelland (RJR)5-9, 186 lbs, no stats, and Clinton Lynch (RFR) 6-0, 181.

Snoddy was just breaking out of his shell when suffering the unfortunate leg fracture. Fans had been waiting for him to put his electrifying and legendary speed to good use on the gridiron, as he had done on the track already. Well, in 2014, they got to see a glimpse of what this kid is capable of. If you are wondering whether his wheels are legit and his turnover rate (referring to foot speed/running stride, not fumbles) jaw dropping, consider this: he is the only guy I have ever seen break his own tibia/fibula by leg whipping HIMSELF. That's right. He was bringing his own foot forward (got hit high while running normally) so fast that when it struck his other shin from behind, it broke clean in two. Think about that for a second. We have seen countless players trip in this manner for years without injury. In any case, Broderick's speed has always been there. The question has been, does he have the football instincts and cutting ability to play the AB position? While I am not sure if those questions have been fully answered, it HAS been determined what this kid can do when he gets a crease and just a modicum of daylight. He can run through arm tackles, bounce off some others, and get separation when in space. I don't think he will ever be a true scat back type with soft hands who thrives going east and west. We aren't going to see him "breaking ankles" like Godhigh (hopefully not his own anymore either) or laying out for one hand grabs, but the sky is the limit for him, as he is very capable of taking a swing pass, or a routine pitch off the option and busting through to the house. He is physical and he is growing in confidence. 2015 has a chance to be a special year for this kid. North and South is his game and "we can do that".

Dennis Andrews has played well when called upon. He has shown a proclivity to block with a lot of effort. I think he understands that blocking is his ticket to see the field. While his sample size is relatively small, in terms of numbers of carries, he has shown some abilities there as well. He didn't catch a pass this year, but he made some good runs at very important times (UGAg) when called upon. I didn't sense any drop off when he was on the field. At times he looked a little indecisive running in traffic, studder stepping and slowing down while allowing pursuit to catch up, rather than putting his foot in the ground and heading up field as fast as possible. He gave up some yards at times according to my eye, but those kind of things are easily correctable. I look for him to have a major role next year.

Beyond that, it is a bit of a crap shoot. I really don't have any observations or knowledge of any other guys. Willis looked OK in a pre-season scrimmage to me, but that is not nearly enough information to judge. The interesting part will be seeing who moves their way up the depth chart. History has shown we need 5 or 6 quality contributors at AB going into any one season. We have 2 proven players heading into spring. Although I really like some guys we have in the upcoming class, commenting on them is waste of time because they aren't officially a member of the family yet and I have no idea if they can block. Will we see a position change or two? Will Searcy move to the slot? Maybe one of the Austins? Is Clinton Lynch the player we have heard about but haven't seen? Stay tuned. Whatever the case, we have a well suited QB for the position, who, by the nature of how he plays, will bring out the best of the ABs we have. The running threat he presents combined with the timing of his pitches gives our ABs just that bit more room they need to be effective. Experience matters. We won't have a lot of it. What say you?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes this is going to be a challenge, but with the OL they will be running behind for the next couple of years at least, it will likely turn out just fine, imo. Also we seem to be headed in the direction of larger/stronger ABs than years past which I believe will help.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If I were a betting man I would think one of the Austin twins moves over. I am most concerned about the BB position more than AB. We have 0experience there.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My guess of the Austin twins, based on the number of times I recognized the jersey no. on the field, is #17 moves to the offense. Too lazy to look it up, and can't remember which one's which, but I think it's Lance.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
It has been a blessing this year to have so many seniors at AB, BB, & WR to help with JT's development at QB. Next year he gets to return the favor. I think we will have plenty of playmakers to carry the ball, the blocking on the edge will be the key. Next year's OLine should be solid as well.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My concern is for the first couple of games where Snoddy will be shaking off rust and experienced depth will be lacking. Any chance Marcus Allen will switch over to b-back?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we will find that Snoddy, provided he fully recovers and that'll be more mental then physical, imho, and Andrews will see more of the field then the others; i.e. it'll be like when Roddy and Peebles held the positions . They are both experienced and have shown they can handle the position. Btw, Andrews can catch and quite well too; last year he had a couple of big receptions. I've been pleased to see that he appears to be living up to his billing, but I never had any doubts about him. The other experienced AB - Willis - doesn't have much, but that's more then anybody else, so I expect to see him on the field some. The others are a mystery, but we'll get something out of them, I'm sure.

The incoming frosh could have something to say about that, however. Cottrell is apparently a great running talent and could be the one to put the quietus on Snoddy in the 100. The others are nothing resembling slouches either; most are right there with Cottrell in speed. Soooo … as Boom says, who can block? If Cottrell shows talent along this line - and he won't need to do much, imho - then he plays; you don't sit speed like that on the bench. One of them will play, however; it's just a matter of who gets the new responsibilities down first.

One regret: Sam McNearney never got to return kicks. With Golden out there the choice was a no-brainer, but I think Sam would have turned into another Kelly Rhino if he had been given some return duties. The young man can motivate. It's great that we have someone like Golden back there; don't get me wrong. But Sam could have done the job too. Good luck going forward, Sam.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not the biggest fan of moving kids around. Good news, I guess, is the Austin kid can redshirt in 2016 if he is struggling.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My guess of the Austin twins, based on the number of times I recognized the jersey no. on the field, is #17 moves to the offense. Too lazy to look it up, and can't remember which one's which, but I think it's Lance.

You are probably right, Lance #17 moves to AB if one does. Lawerence # 20 established himself as a capable corner in 2014 and I believe he stays on D.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not the biggest fan of moving kids around. Good news, I guess, is the Austin kid can redshirt in 2016 if he is struggling.
A natural ball player can generally switch positions without too much difficulty, see Smelter for example who switched sports and flourished. Also I think it's easier going D to O because it's easier to dictate opportunities on offense. If we can borrow talent from our deep defensive backfield to shore up a position of need, I'm all for it. I know the Austins looked like good tacklers. That can easily translate to good blocking as long as you teach them NOT to wrap up.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Fall Camp will likely sort out the ABs (as the numbers are there with 3 scholly returners + Willis + up to 4 freshmen) but there is a challenge in numbers in the spring. We really need 6 healthy ABs (could get by with 5 with some jersey swapping) for the Spring Game following 4 weeks of physical practice. Andrews, Willis, McClellan, JJ Green are likely, with possibly Snoddy, one of the Austins, and maybe R Tyler moves back to AB for the Spring Game. Seems workable if we avoid injuries, Snoddy heals to 100%, and Lynch successfully converts to AB.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
And if Lynch is not working out at AB there is the option of Searcy at AB and moving Lynch back to his HS position of WR. Nice to have so many good athletic options to solve a problem!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I've got the 4 returning AB's at the top of the Rotation with Benson as the lone freshman. The other freshmen will all redshirt.