Look for more guys to play this week

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Transfers on the DL wouldn't be able to play until 2016 anyways. They have to sit out a year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This change signifies that SOMETHING has got to change and it couldn't get any worse.
I still don't get how Rod RC is not playing more.He still has the only? pass block of yr and one of best tackles.
I still don't see Milton as being so strong(per bench record).He sure gets pushed around a lot on field on those screens.L Griffin must be a mess if he can't get playing time.
As to the "black-hole" of attrition--remember when Commissiong and Kitchen were guys we didn't care about.They were a non-factor. hmmmm.To me, losing SIX guys off def in 6 mos (these plus the 2 others and Days/Whitehead) is something somebody has to be accountable for.It didn't "just happen".We will be paying the price not only this yr but next also.I'm not at all sure that PJ can survive putting a poor def team like we have yr after yr esp after next yr's schedule.

Totally forgot about Jimmie Kitchen. Another big body on the 2deep at DL we've lost...plus I really liked Justin Akins's HS film. Akins, Commissiong, Jimmie Kitchen PLUS Gotsis , Gamble, and Green....wow, that's a legit 3 deep at just DT! Sucks...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
we lost alot on DL but only one was a starter IIRC JHD....Stargel was starter all through Spring.

lets not cry in our wheaties too much. The d stinks for many reasons other than attrition. But its a convenient out for some and there is no doubt it hurt Depth. But the starters were the starters at the end of spring.

Its also true that at the end of spring, with that starting DL, IMO the coaches had their head up their arse.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Its also true that at the end of spring, with that starting DL, IMO the coaches had their head up their arse.

Have you coached before? Not trying to pick a fight, but a lot of times I read comments regarding who plays what spots, and I wonder if some people understand a coach's decision-making process. As a coach, I am going to play the best player at his best spot. ALWAYS. Now, I may not have the best talent, and sometimes a player gets in trouble or craps out at practice, but 99 times out of 100, I am going to put the best player for each spot out there. And it's usually clear who that is.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Won't know how ready they are till they get here, but at least one will have to play.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Have you coached before? Not trying to pick a fight, but a lot of times I read comments regarding who plays what spots, and I wonder if some people understand a coach's decision-making process. As a coach, I am going to play the best player at his best spot. ALWAYS. Now, I may not have the best talent, and sometimes a player gets in trouble or craps out at practice, but 99 times out of 100, I am going to put the best player for each spot out there. And it's usually clear who that is.

As a long tenure head coach I completely agree that a coach is driven to find the best player for his best spot. It is easier on O than D. It usually took me 3 games to find the bestl 11 D players and get them into their best positions. Starting with size and speed and practice drill performance (and very limited scrimmage viewing) and historical knowledge I would start with what I thought was the best 11 on D. A few things you do not see in practice. Inevitably there would be a few players who in a game situation could not find the ball, get off blocks, or read keys or make good pre or post snap decisions. After about 3 games of tweaking those few positions the starters would sort themselves out.
Occasionally a younger or less experienced player would more rapidly develop during the season and bump a starter. If you have a weak spot on D you would keep looking for a solution. But always the coaching goal was to get the best fit on the field.
There are exceptions and I will site two examples where maybe the best player was not chosen. The holder for field goals and extra points, and maybe the long snapper, are chosen from non starters so they can practice separately. I liked to use the same C and the backup was strickly an emergency, so I used the fullbacks as backup centers so that in group practices the center could stay with the OL guys for much of the practice (practice convenience).