Look for more guys to play this week

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Given how much I tend to downplay the importance of making sure this or that player/backup gets real game experience (like in the discussions about Devine, Leggett, and Days at earlier points in the year but notably all on offense) I want to say something related here. Basically, this is what "play everyone" or "give everyone snaps" or even just "get the backups real experience" looks like and in this case it comes from a position of weakness, not strength.

But it does suggest a) that the coaches first and foremost care about winning the next game; and b) it should actually be really helpful for next year, especially starting in spring practice. There has been far more experimentation with so many players at multiple positions and packages on defense that the amount of information for the coaches to process and then put in place next spring is going to be enormous. My optimistic wish is that all of this will mean that next years defense takes a marked step forward in capability and production.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Given how much I tend to downplay the importance of making sure this or that player/backup gets real game experience (like in the discussions about Devine, Leggett, and Days at earlier points in the year but notably all on offense) I want to say something related here. Basically, this is what "play everyone" or "give everyone snaps" or even just "get the backups real experience" looks like and in this case it comes from a position of weakness, not strength.

But it does suggest a) that the coaches first and foremost care about winning the next game; and b) it should actually be really helpful for next year, especially starting in spring practice. There has been far more experimentation with so many players at multiple positions and packages on defense that the amount of information for the coaches to process and then put in place next spring is going to be enormous. My optimistic wish is that all of this will mean that next years defense takes a marked step forward in capability and production.
If not for the black hole of attrition, I doubt we'd be seeing musical chairs on defense.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This change signifies that SOMETHING has got to change and it couldn't get any worse.
I still don't get how Rod RC is not playing more.He still has the only? pass block of yr and one of best tackles.
I still don't see Milton as being so strong(per bench record).He sure gets pushed around a lot on field on those screens.L Griffin must be a mess if he can't get playing time.
As to the "black-hole" of attrition--remember when Commissiong and Kitchen were guys we didn't care about.They were a non-factor. hmmmm.To me, losing SIX guys off def in 6 mos (these plus the 2 others and Days/Whitehead) is something somebody has to be accountable for.It didn't "just happen".We will be paying the price not only this yr but next also.I'm not at all sure that PJ can survive putting a poor def team like we have yr after yr esp after next yr's schedule.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
With the schedule next year like it is, the bowl streak could be in jeopardy. The defense can only go up from here though.