Long Update Over On Rivals

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the $64 question, how does Quinlan have greater access to the team than Ken? Or does he really have any greater access at all?
As a guy that’s been a subscriber over there for several years, it’s obvious he has a lot more contacts and inside info than Ken. Whether you or someone else wants to believe that, is totally up to you.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Curious thing about the new redshirt rule is. Do you want to play Graham early in blowouts to get him experience, or save some of his 4 games in case TM gets injured for a game or 2 and you need to possibly play Graham for a game or 2? Might not have blowout opportunities to play him later in the season but you’d be guaranteed to not waste his redshirt later on.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Curious thing about the new redshirt rule is. Do you want to play Graham early in blowouts to get him experience, or save some of his 4 games in case TM gets injured for a game or 2 and you need to possibly play Graham for a game or 2? Might not have blowout opportunities to play him later in the season but you’d be guaranteed to not waste his redshirt later on.
Doubtful if we would have more than one more blowout game.Play him if he is ready.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Doubtful if we would have more than one more blowout game.Play him if he is ready.

It's a safe bet that Tech should cruise fairly easily over Bowling Green on Sept. 29, so if getting Graham some gameday experience is a priority, better then than burning one of the "free four" redshirt games on a FCS opponent such as Alcorn State. Then, after Bowling Green, at least Graham would be available for three more games this season without losing his redshirt year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
From Ken's article:

"Johnson said he had “no idea” if backup quarterbacks Tobias Oliver or James Graham would play on Saturday in the opener against Alcorn State.

“I have no plan on putting them in in a certain series or whatever,” he said"

My take:

Either: CPJ has zero confidence in the backups. Despite " being able to call a game for any of the three QBs" Tobias isn't ready for prime time and he is not willing to waste 1/4 of allowed game time to use up Graham's redshirt season.

Or: Until TqM can show CPJ he can get things done in the passing game he will stay in unless it is obvious that he is not a passing QB.
I just listened to Kirby Smart day almost exactly the same thing about the Dwags QB on opening day

MidtownJacket

Staff member
would like to see the staff on the athletic continue to beef up their relationship with GT and get this kind of insight. The writing there has been great, still happy with my subscription, and being able to read about other teams included in the fee is a cherry on top.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ has been really ticked off at Ken do to realessing information he did not want released. CPJ seems to hate the daily media time and KQ gets some of that general animosity.

KQ business is relationships and sharing info at a time that does not damage those relationships. He also has commentary based on what he sees during media time. I think he has more information than he shares... but he does not share as to get more information.

There was an hour long media tape from ACC media days. All the reporters write on what they hear so everyone gets some of the information. But KQ lets you hear it directly from CPJ.

There is nothing life or death or some great secrete in what KQ provides. KQ provides extra entertainment for 10$ a month. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As a guy that’s been a subscriber over there for several years, it’s obvious he has a lot more contacts and inside info than Ken. Whether you or someone else wants to believe that, is totally up to you.
So who’s he talking to? Players, assistant coaches, the guy who cleans BDS...? I can see that he might have more contacts in the recruiting world, but not on the team. I’m sure CPJ runs a pretty tight ship with regards to what info gets out.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tobis will play before JG as only Tobis is ready to play a game and could use the reps just Incase he is called. JG would be last resort as he just started and barely knows footwork. This is not a play by ear offense.

JG may be the next QB, but sticking him in a game right now may not be the best thing to get him ready to be the next QB.

I could see him doing something by the end of the year or having a special just for him at ABack or at WR. But nothing to burn his redshirt over. CPJ needs to keep his shirt and knows there is a small chance he may need to play a snap hear or there for whatever reason.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now I think it would be solidly Tobis, no doubt in my mind. This is not because Tobis is a better athlete. This is because Tobis knows the plays and footwork.

There is so much more than pull and pitch!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be shocked if Graham got a series or two against Alcorn, assuming we roll them easily. Beyond that, I don't think he plays unless injuries force PJ to play him. With the 4 game rule, you got a game or two that you can "play" with just to see him in a real game situation.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
So who’s he talking to? Players, assistant coaches, the guy who cleans BDS...? I can see that he might have more contacts in the recruiting world, but not on the team. I’m sure CPJ runs a pretty tight ship with regards to what info gets out.
My guess would be that he's got a few contacts on the staff, but that's just my guess.

Deleted member 2897

So the 2-deep and starters just came out. Much of that was discussed in that article. So as some of you said, now you see it a few days later. But there’s a lot of the “why” that you won’t ever know. To some of us, that’s interesting info, to others it’s meh. Personally I was shocked at some of the names who are starting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So the 2-deep and starters just came out. Much of that was discussed in that article. So as some of you said, now you see it a few days later. But there’s a lot of the “why” that you won’t ever know. To some of us, that’s interesting info, to others it’s meh. Personally I was shocked at some of the names who are starting.
Good point. The why is important because a lot of guys want to second guess the coaching staff. If they knew the why, maybe they'd be less likely to armchair coordinate.

Me, I know the coaches have forgotten more football than I know and see the players every day, so I trust them to put the best guy out there.