Locker room issues?

JacketFan137

Banned
i think johnson’s line only showed its weakness in size when we played teams that were gonna force us into passing situations. our guys were quick and could plant someone when they were pulling but i can’t think of too many years where our pass blocking was even average

that was the biggest adjustment needed for the transition

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Defoo
Will worked his *** off to get big , before he was told to lose weight. Because he was Fat... This was him at 298 lbs. He looks really FAT.
DEFOOR had same thing - came in at 305 told to get lean then told to get back to 300 plus.
Dad said even if it doesnt work out w Sewak - at least he got a great degree.

The belief that the program published weights are real???
Shamire and another ol guys AVERAGED 305."
SHAM was closer to 400 than 300. HE was a big person. Most of our guys had to work hard and eat like crazy to make weight.

My 6 ft 5 son took 3 years to gain to 280. Then like bam he was 315. One injury can set these guys back so much.
I think we need a Shaq or a Parker Braun before we will be good.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
There were a few times that I saw Tech’s offensive line get dominated. The offensive linemen that Chan Gailey recruited got dominated in bowl games by LSU and Iowa, respectively. Our last bowl against Minnesota was another example. And then those two different seasons where virtually the entire offensive line was knocked out by injuries. So I take complaints about CPJ’s OL recruits with a grain of salt. I think it is hard to recruit dominant linemen at Tech on either side of the ball. Pointing to size probably misses the point.

I would love for Tech to have one of the best lines in the country along with plenty of depth. I hope it happens. Historically that happens at Tech about every 30 years.

Huh? The OL was considered bad every yr under Sewak except 09, 14, & 16

i never underrstood Sewaks problem with Wills size.Really hard headed, hurt teamwise seems to me

They thought it attributed to injuries in 2015

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

On the second part, could have wasn't that year a lot of knees? Maybe bad support training for the movements. I actually remember the dwags having a year like that and they fired their S&C coach.,

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
i never underrstood Sewaks problem with Wills size.Really hard headed, hurt teamwise seems to m
On the second part, could have wasn't that year a lot of knees? Maybe bad support training for the movements. I actually remember the dwags having a year like that and they fired their S&C coach.,
2015 we lost a Tackle because of a basketball game... We had a guard decide to quit and draw cartoons. I dont remember a lot of knee injuries during the season? That O was pretty brutal on OL. I know those braces saved Will several times.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
2015 we lost a Tackle because of a basketball game... We had a guard decide to quit and draw cartoons. I dont remember a lot of knee injuries during the season? That O was pretty brutal on OL. I know those braces saved Will several times.

That was why I was asking basically I couldn't remember it being worse for injuries but that be the only way i could think of the weight being the problem. Basketball is just never worth the risk when you play another sport i had a few friends blow acls in pickup games and tank baseball careers.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me if you focus on size and your prototypes for a position you miss who the best players are. I think it ought to be empirically measurable how quick someone's first step is, their lateral quickness in picking up an edge rush, the amount of ground they give up on a bull rush, etc., to figure out whether a player has suffered tradeoffs from getting bigger or where someone's weak points indicate where they should focus their strength training/weight goals.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me if you focus on size and your prototypes for a position you miss who the best players are. I think it ought to be empirically measurable how quick someone's first step is, their lateral quickness in picking up an edge rush, the amount of ground they give up on a bull rush, etc., to figure out whether a player has suffered tradeoffs from getting bigger or where someone's weak points indicate where they should focus their strength training/weight goals.
Yeah, too much focus on size/weight. Some of these guys are just fat.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

No one was talking about Sewak.

We were talking about offensive line recruits. I simply mentioned that regardless of who the coach is, or who recruited the players, having a dominant OL at Tech is a rare thing. Our 2009 OL is an example. As good as they were they were crushed by Iowa in the Orange Bowl.