Lineup for this season?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unlike football, basketball recruiting is normally not allocated by geography but by contacts or assigning a lead recruiter to get in with a certain recruit. This is possible as most of the top recruits play a set shoe circuit and coaches can see lots of recruits without having to start in HS.

I make no claim to knowing LeBarrie’s role or impact on Devoe’s recruitment. I expect he likely did a good job of introducing Tech and getting him in the process. But most basketball recruits are closed by the head coach once they are te’ed up by an assistant.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
DLaB is the reason why Devoe signed with Tech. Go read the Devoe recruiting thread for background info. None of the coaches are limited to a certain geographic area. They all recruit the entire country and go after the best talent they can find. Some coaches might have stronger contacts in a certain area
But that doesn’t mean that the other coaches can’t try to recruit a player in that area. Recruiting is more about relationship building with players when they are younger and maybe not the star player that they might grow into. That’s why having assistant coaches with a good eye for young raw talent is necessary for a program to be successful.
Thanks for replying. I remember hearing coach Reveno typically handled the European recruiting, but now I understand that's more because of his contacts over there then him actually being assigned to Europe. I hope coach Wilkins can adequately fill coach LaBarrie's shoes.

DLaB is the reason why Devoe signed with Tech. Go read the Devoe recruiting thread for background info. None of the coaches are limited to a certain geographic area. They all recruit the entire country and go after the best talent they can find. Some coaches might have stronger contacts in a certain area
But that doesn’t mean that the other coaches can’t try to recruit a player in that area. Recruiting is more about relationship building with players when they are younger and maybe not the star player that they might grow into. That’s why having assistant coaches with a good eye for young raw talent is necessary for a program to be successful.
Good to see you chiming in again.

GT_EE78

Banned
I for one am happy to see that 4 guard lineup disappear. With healthy bigs, avoiding last years disaster at least won't be because 4 little guys were the best we had who were healthy and available. Alvarado sure seems like the only one who's starting status and position is relatively set. It will be entertaining to see who steps up and earns a starting spot by the time acc play rolls around. Some clarity should occur well before acc games or it could be a long long year.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
So where do we see ourselves falling in the ACC next year? I say there should be no reason why we can't land at 8. Thoughts?

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
So where do we see ourselves falling in the ACC next year? I say there should be no reason why we can't land at 8. Thoughts?
Top 8 is very doable...this team will be borderline dynamic on the perimeter with Jose,Devoe and CGB bolstered by experienced guards Phillips and Alston(full two years out from knee surgery will surprise).
The frontcourt will work with versatile forwards Cole and Wright and experienced AD emerging as one of the better all around bigs in the league.If SO can finally contribute,which I think he will,Tech will have enough true size and length to challenge ACC frontcourts.Sjolund,Moore and Schaefer will be available if needed but I see CJP settling into a 9 player rotation by conference play.I expect CGB,Cole,Wright and Alvarado to make big visible improvements and Alston,Phillips,AD and SO to play "old".If Devoe can come in and be a star this team could be dancing in March.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Top 8 is very doable...this team will be borderline dynamic on the perimeter with Jose,Devoe and CGB bolstered by experienced guards Phillips and Alston(full two years out from knee surgery will surprise).
The frontcourt will work with versatile forwards Cole and Wright and experienced AD emerging as one of the better all around bigs in the league.If SO can finally contribute,which I think he will,Tech will have enough true size and length to challenge ACC frontcourts.Sjolund,Moore and Schaefer will be available if needed but I see CJP settling into a 9 player rotation by conference play.I expect CGB,Cole,Wright and Alvarado to make big visible improvements and Alston,Phillips,AD and SO to play "old".If Devoe can come in and be a star this team could be dancing in March.
This premium Koolaid is not available in stores. But, if you act now we can ship to your home before the first game. Just slip you VISA card into an envelope and mail to us immediately. The no hassle payment plan staff will return your card within 5 business days along with the product and EZ mixing instructions.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would take Top 8 in a heartbeat.

As it stands, we have one proven scorer on this team. One guy I trust that you can give the ball to when you need a basket and he makes it happen. That's gonna make for a bad time if our defense isn't at or above 2016-17 levels. Hopefully Devoe comes right in and contributes and a few guys make their Sophomore leaps. If we're Top 8, I think that would put us on the bubble and set us up for a potentially really nice run in 2019-20.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
This premium Koolaid is not available in stores. But, if you act now we can ship to your home before the first game. Just slip you VISA card into an envelope and mail to us immediately. The no hassle payment plan staff will return your card within 5 business days along with the product and EZ mixing instructions.
You said the same thing about my prediction of Lammers as one of the programs best big man ever coming off a season of avg. 3ppg...your comments then we're the same as ^^ that one ^^ I also added that the 3* given to Josh Okogie was way low and he might be better than anticipated...*crickets* ...so again you show your lack of forsight,you have to wait till things happen to see them reality...your still incapable of seeing anything that's right around the corner...I realize I'm not a GTech alum nor from the south...so I get your condescending tone...I'll be archiving your comments again so I can ram them down your throat...again...we'll be in every game...no one will overwhelm us...our brand has arrived...just watch...I see us in the top 25 within the first month.Yeah I just said that...I know...save your comment...you come off like an absolute stiff.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It's hard to project this team because we'll be relying on a lot of guys who have big ?s. In fact, pretty much everyone.

Jose and Haywood are coming back from injuries. Devoe is a freshman. Gueye/Ogbonda/Wright/Cole will be needing to play bigger roles than they have proven to be able to do so. The rest are role players or freshmen.

If things go our way we could have a great backcourt duo in Jose and Devoe, possibly the best PG situation we've had since Bynum/Jack. If Haywood can provide the wing scoring that could be a great backcourt which can take us a long way with the way college basketball is today. AD has shown flashes of being about as effective scoring as Lammers was when we tried to focus him a bit more, and there is a good chance that Wright/Cole make big jumps with the help of coach Rev who has a great track record. Best case scenario for starters is we have one of the best backcourts in the conference, a serviceable starter at the center spot, and perhaps the mip player in conference starting at the 4. We also have decent, though not great, options for backups. In this case I could see us finishing middle of the road or even slightly better in the ACC and making the NCAA by virtue of coming together the right time in ACC play.

On the other hand it could be that Jose isn't the same or hasn't developed like we expect because of the injury, Haywood is too slow to be as effective as he needs to be, and Devoe gets the freshmen yips and needs time to adjust. It's also possible that without the threat of Lammers, AD isn't as effective and gets in foul trouble too often, and Wright/Cole still aren't ready for starter minutes. In this case I could see us starting real slow and the only redeeming part of the season being peaks at what the future could hold for our young players.

IMO we're likely between the two. A returning Okogie would have done a lot to take pressure off others this year, but as it stands I can't help but think that we'll still be looking ahead a year throughout the year. I'd say around 8-10 in conference with a couple of nice victories towards the end. Maybe an NIT trip depending on how well we come out in the OOC.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You said the same thing about my prediction of Lammers as one of the programs best big man ever coming off a season of avg. 3ppg...your comments then we're the same as ^^ that one ^^ I also added that the 3* given to Josh Okogie was way low and he might be better than anticipated...*crickets* ...so again you show your lack of forsight,you have to wait till things happen to see them reality...your still incapable of seeing anything that's right around the corner...I realize I'm not a GTech alum nor from the south...so I get your condescending tone...I'll be archiving your comments again so I can ram them down your throat...again...we'll be in every game...no one will overwhelm us...our brand has arrived...just watch...I see us in the top 25 within the first month.Yeah I just said that...I know...save your comment...you come off like an absolute stiff.
Yeah, you certainly put me in my place.

1st month. Top 25? You made the call.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard to project this team because we'll be relying on a lot of guys who have big ?s. In fact, pretty much everyone.

Jose and Haywood are coming back from injuries. Devoe is a freshman. Gueye/Ogbonda/Wright/Cole will be needing to play bigger roles than they have proven to be able to do so. The rest are role players or freshmen.

If things go our way we could have a great backcourt duo in Jose and Devoe, possibly the best PG situation we've had since Bynum/Jack. If Haywood can provide the wing scoring that could be a great backcourt which can take us a long way with the way college basketball is today. AD has shown flashes of being about as effective scoring as Lammers was when we tried to focus him a bit more, and there is a good chance that Wright/Cole make big jumps with the help of coach Rev who has a great track record. Best case scenario for starters is we have one of the best backcourts in the conference, a serviceable starter at the center spot, and perhaps the mip player in conference starting at the 4. We also have decent, though not great, options for backups. In this case I could see us finishing middle of the road or even slightly better in the ACC and making the NCAA by virtue of coming together the right time in ACC play.

On the other hand it could be that Jose isn't the same or hasn't developed like we expect because of the injury, Haywood is too slow to be as effective as he needs to be, and Devoe gets the freshmen yips and needs time to adjust. It's also possible that without the threat of Lammers, AD isn't as effective and gets in foul trouble too often, and Wright/Cole still aren't ready for starter minutes. In this case I could see us starting real slow and the only redeeming part of the season being peaks at what the future could hold for our young players.

IMO we're likely between the two. A returning Okogie would have done a lot to take pressure off others this year, but as it stands I can't help but think that we'll still be looking ahead a year throughout the year. I'd say around 8-10 in conference with a couple of nice victories towards the end. Maybe an NIT trip depending on how well we come out in the OOC.
I think this is a pretty solid guess

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe I'm wrong on this, but two years ago it seemed like our coaches did a great job making Lammers a keystone player and got us to the NIT. A big question to me is can they do the same with the players we have now. I think we have more talent now than then, but we're younger and we have a couple of different coaches, and our talent is on the backcourt and somewhat on the wing position.
So, how do we do coaching up young backcourt players for a different style of offense and defense with somewhat different coaches than we had before?
We don't have a one-and-done player to carry the team.
Alvarado, Haywood, Wright, and Cole all got experience last year. I think three of them will improve their game over last year. I also think we have more depth than last year. I think we'll be better than last year.
We went 6-12 in the ACC last year, 3rd from the bottom, 12th out of 15. I think we'll still be better than Wake and Pitt this year. To get to the middle of the ACC, we have to improve over and surpass Florida St, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Boston College assuming the conference stays the same as last year, or teams like Miami, NC State, or Virginia Tech if there's some shuffling.
Even improving, I can see us as 12th out of 15. If we get to 9th or 10th, I think we've done pretty well. I don't see us getting to 7th or 8th.