Lineup for this season?

slugboy

Staff member
He has been getting reps at the 3, 4, and 5. But if the season started today I would bet on him at the 4 with Gueye at the 5.

I would prefer for us to use a pace n' space line-up but that all depends on if we can get one(hopefully more) of Khalid Moore/Sjolund/Moses to step up. Would also depend on if we decide to play zone or are going up a big with skill, leading to AD guarding him on the block. It might look something like this:
Alvarado
Devoe
Haywood
Moore
Cole
--------------
Phillips
Gueye
Moses
Alston
Sjolund
Sly
*possible grad transfer*

I guess the good and bad thing about us right now is...our players are very interchangeable in the lineup. Good, because we have options. Bad, because we haven't had anyone step up and secure their spot. I feel confident someone will because they are ALL hitting the gym and weights hard. A lot is on social media but a lot is left off also. I feel confident if they keep this work ethic up the blue bloods will be on upset watch when they come to McCamish next year.

That starting 5 is all freshmen and sophomores. That’s a young, young lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He has been getting reps at the 3, 4, and 5. But if the season started today I would bet on him at the 4 with Gueye at the 5.

I would prefer for us to use a pace n' space line-up but that all depends on if we can get one(hopefully more) of Khalid Moore/Sjolund/Moses to step up. Would also depend on if we decide to play zone or are going up a big with skill, leading to AD guarding him on the block. It might look something like this:
Alvarado
Devoe
Haywood
Moore
Cole
--------------
Phillips
Gueye
Moses
Alston
Sjolund
Sly
*possible grad transfer*

I guess the good and bad thing about us right now is...our players are very interchangeable in the lineup. Good, because we have options. Bad, because we haven't had anyone step up and secure their spot. I feel confident someone will because they are ALL hitting the gym and weights hard. A lot is on social media but a lot is left off also. I feel confident if they keep this work ethic up the blue bloods will be on upset watch when they come to McCamish next year.

I have questions about AD defending the 5 but he had some legit minutes on O.

If Cole could defend the 5 and play the 4 on O, we might have sumem

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
He's only been here for 1 year but IMO Wright has a lot of improving to do before he can be a regular contributor. I see it as:

1/2. Alvarado, Devoe, and Phillips
3. Haywood
4. Cole/Moore - probably our weakest position
5. Gueye

On paper with no injuries I think we can be better than last year, but not by much. Okogie's early departure leaves a hole that can't be filled.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Cole playing much at the 5. I think he'll be a 4 if any of AD, Sly, or Wright are also in there. The only real line up I could see with him at the 5 is him paired with Sjolund, and I don't think we'll see that combination much.

I am going to be interested to see which one of Cole or Wright becomes the second at the 5 spot. Baring a miracle from Sly one of them will have to. Neither of them are natural 5's so I am not arguing vociferously that Cole will be over Wright, Just like you see Cole as more of a 4, I see Wright as a 4 trying to play 3.

Wright did put up better rebounds and blocks so maybe that is it. Though it doesn't show in their roster weights I just see Cole as a bit more "sturdy" than Wright.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel confident someone will because they are ALL hitting the gym and weights hard. A lot is on social media but a lot is left off also. I feel confident if they keep this work ethic up the blue bloods will be on upset watch when they come to McCamish next year.

Japanese translations are always an adventure, but this is from an article about our walk-on Avi Schafer, who is back in Japan training with the Japanese national team:

Height 205 cm remains unchanged, but at the time of the U-19 World Cup last summer it was 94 kg and the weight described on the profile increased significantly to 107 kg. The muscles from the shoulder to the back are obviously getting bigger. "Since it has increased more than 10 kg in the past year, I can not lose so much with power," he laughs.

Him gaining almost 30 lbs of muscle in one year is quite a testament to our strength and training program.

http://basket-count.com/article/detail/5150

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am going to be interested to see which one of Cole or Wright becomes the second at the 5 spot. Baring a miracle from Sly one of them will have to. Neither of them are natural 5's so I am not arguing vociferously that Cole will be over Wright, Just like you see Cole as more of a 4, I see Wright as a 4 trying to play 3.

Wright did put up better rebounds and blocks so maybe that is it. Though it doesn't show in their roster weights I just see Cole as a bit more "sturdy" than Wright.

Wright has a reported wingspan of 7-2. I couldn't find anything on Cole but to me he didn't look to have as long a reach, which I think is also why he looks to be more sturdy than Wright. I think it's a combination of his wingspan and instincts that make him better suited to defend in the paint than Cole.

He's only been here for 1 year but IMO Wright has a lot of improving to do before he can be a regular contributor. I see it as:

1/2. Alvarado, Devoe, and Phillips
3. Haywood
4. Cole/Moore - probably our weakest position
5. Gueye

On paper with no injuries I think we can be better than last year, but not by much. Okogie's early departure leaves a hole that can't be filled.
You're acting as if Josh was a Dennis Scott or Tom Hammonds type player. Josh's numbers are easily replaceable. Guard is not a weak position for this team. The post is our weakest spots on the court. Losing Ben will be a bigger hole to fill.

YellowJacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
Happy Sunday morning all.
I am primarily excited about this year because of the team make up. This is close to the type of players Pastner wants. I think we will start to see more running and smaller lineups that will help the guys push the pace rather than waiting for a big man, even a mobile one, to get down the floor.
I hope we see something like,
Jose
Devoe
Heywood
Cole
Wright

I also hope we see 8 guys get substantial mins and not just 6.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just for the sake of kicking in...

G - Jose/Devoe/Phillips
G - Devoe/Phillips/Jose/Alston
Wing - Haywood/Phillips/Alston/Moore
Stretch 4/Jumbo Wing - Cole/Wright or Sjolund/Sjolund or Wright/Moore
Post - AD/Cole/Vess

Something to note - Pastner has said Moses is either going to be a Top 3 player on our team at some point or he's going to be 12th best. I don't expect a breakout season for him production wise, but I'd like to see the goal set for him to play in a consistent, level-headed manner.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree Lammers is probably harder for this team to replace right now - especially on the defensive end. But to say JO is "easily" replaceable is a bit over the top. Our 2 perimeter freshman last year played well but did not really play as lead scorers and we are now counting on another freshman to come in and be that lead scorer. That's asking a lot.

I think we will be better overall on the perimeter this year than we were last year with Philips and Devoe joining a more experienced Alvarado and Haywood but there are parts to a BB game where your lead dog just has to make a play on his own. JO wasn't Kenny Anderson by any stretch but he did that a lot for us and one of these guys is going to have to step up to that role.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree Lammers is probably harder for this team to replace right now - especially on the defensive end. But to say JO is "easily" replaceable is a bit over the top. Our 2 perimeter freshman last year played well but did not really play as lead scorers and we are now counting on another freshman to come in and be that lead scorer. That's asking a lot.

I think we will be better overall on the perimeter this year than we were last year with Philips and Devoe joining a more experienced Alvarado and Haywood but there are parts to a BB game where your lead dog just has to make a play on his own. JO wasn't Kenny Anderson by any stretch but he did that a lot for us and one of these guys is going to have to step up to that role.

We have a player with the experience to be a lead dog and step up to make a play for himself or someone else. It's Jose Alverado. He should have been given the keys way earlier in the season last year.

I make this statement because I witnessed it in action during his SR year in HS. Different stage, same mentality. It's exactly what we brought him here to do.

You’re acting as if you didn’t watch those games Josh missed at the beginning of last season....
I watched a team that isn't there any more. We have a brand new team with what I believe is comprised of better basketball players. Yeah Josh was a good player. We are a year older with better over all guard play. Devoe is going to be more than enough to replace Josh's numbers.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hope we find that Alverado and Devoe are able to fill in for the scoring we will need with JO5's departure. This is college athletics, and we know the name of the game is new rosters every year.

I have a good feeling about this team (barring injury obviously) but will wait for prognostication till Fall and seeing a scrimmage or the first few live bullets.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
You're acting as if Josh was a Dennis Scott or Tom Hammonds type player. Josh's numbers are easily replaceable. Guard is not a weak position for this team. The post is our weakest spots on the court. Losing Ben will be a bigger hole to fill.
Really? I look at not having Ben as good thing. Not taking Ben's play lightly but not having him allows us to run and gun. We weren't able to utilize our athleticism the way I believe we could have. Having Evan and Moses in will be so much better for our offense, might even allow us to run 5 out if both have improved their shooting. Wright proved to be a pretty good defender down low, especially against bigger post guys due to his length. If you factor in the fact he will be putting on weight as well, should be very promising.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Might be a rough year. Our starting roster only has 1 ACC-starting-caliber player IMO and 1 that we know nothing about but could be an ACC starter (Devoe). I think the rest have the potential to be ACC starters, but we'll have to see the output of their summers. Gueye was a lot better last year than the year before, hopefully he makes an even bigger leap this summer.