Lineup for this season?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Curious what you guys think the lineup will look like for this upcoming season?

Alvarado at PG
Devoe at 2?
3?
4?
Banks at 5?

Deleted member 2897

Banks is on the official roster as a JR. Does mean he is eligible to play?

Unless something has changed, he has to sit out next year and then will have 3 years to play remaining.
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...sferring-georgia-tech/jDOCHOcwqJmLYyXAMiCLJL/

Personal note - if he played even sparingly in his sophomore season (2017-2018) and appeared in 14 games, I don't know why he wouldn't be a sit 1, play 2. I don't know how the AJC said he is a sit 1, play 3.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
1 - Alvarado
2- Devoe
3 - Haywood
4 - Wright
5 - Gueye

I think Phillips will be the primary back up for Alvarado and Devoe, Alston will start as the backup to Haywood but I expect Moore and Sjolund to get more of those minutes as the year goes on. Cole will back up Wright but will probably play as much as Wright and Cole as I expect to see all combinations of those 3 on the court at the same time. Will be interesting to see if Ogbonda plays much.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
To mimic DH

Guard 1 - Alvarado
Guard 2 - DeVoe
Wing - Haywood (assuming he is all the way back from injury which he should be)
Center - AD
Stretch 4 - Take your pick

Philips gets a lot of time but doesn't start
DeVoe has to be a primary scoring option for this team
One or preferably 2 of our projects has to come through at the 4/5 slot
Moore would be a wonderful upside

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
PG - Alvarado, Devoe backup
SG - Phillips, Alston backup
Wing - Devoe, Haywood backup (sixth man)
PF - Cole, Sjolund backup (or Moore)
C - Gueye, Wright backup (with hopefully added weight)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Banks will sit out this upcoming season and have 2 to play. Has looked good in workouts so far according to rumors.

Jose and Devoe will start. one of Phillips or Haywood will start (i'm going with Phillips until I see Haywood all the way healthy).
4 spot is wide open, i'll go with Cole right now.
Gueye at 5.

I think Devoe will be one of the top 2 scorers on the team next season, he's tall (6'5, 187) and smooth will a really nice three point stroke.
It'll likely be a somewhat different offensive system next year. More 4 out, 1 in with Gueye on the low block.

slugboy

Staff member
Think we'll see more balanced playing time? I'm guessing we want to give breathers to some of our players, compared to past years.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Think we'll see more balanced playing time? I'm guessing we want to give breathers to some of our players, compared to past years.
I believe we will see a little more balance, but not a ton. CJP has said multiple times that one of his tendencies as a coach is to only play 7-8 guys. He has said that he is trying to improve on this and hopefully we are developing enough depth to allow him to do so, but old habits die hard.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Alvarado
Devoe
CGB
Cole
Gueye

Thanks for all the responses.

I guess I was confused on Banks. I was thinking I had read something about immediate eligibility, but maybe I was mixing him up with the football OL from Ole Miss.

If Haywood and Devoe can fill it up from 3, that would open up some things for this offense. Last season, most teams could just pack it in tight and stay in zone to defend us. We just weren’t much of a threat from 3.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe we will see a little more balance, but not a ton. CJP has said multiple times that one of his tendencies as a coach is to only play 7-8 guys. He has said that he is trying to improve on this and hopefully we are developing enough depth to allow him to do so, but old habits die hard.

I think circumstances are going to conspire to make him play more folks. First I don't see Gueye as a 35 min guy like Lammers was. Also, based on their performance last year I don't see either Cole or Wright being able to stay on the court for 30 + minutes due to likely foul trouble. So the 4/5 slot will go 3 deep at least and likely 4 if either Moore (more likely), Sjolund or Ogbondo shows they can play. We already know the wing spots are going to go at least 4 deep with Alvarado, DeVoe, Haywood and Phillips - and likely 5 with Alston getting some minutes.

I think we will have 8 rotation players with Alston and one big getting 5+ min.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for all the responses.

I guess I was confused on Banks. I was thinking I had read something about immediate eligibility, but maybe I was mixing him up with the football OL from Ole Miss.

If Haywood and Devoe can fill it up from 3, that would open up some things for this offense. Last season, most teams could just pack it in tight and stay in zone to defend us. We just weren’t much of a threat from 3.

Someone mentioned something on twitter about him petitioning for immediate eligibility and would likely receive it. I never understood it. There are no hardship waivers any longer

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think circumstances are going to conspire to make him play more folks. First I don't see Gueye as a 35 min guy like Lammers was. Also, based on their performance last year I don't see either Cole or Wright being able to stay on the court for 30 + minutes due to likely foul trouble. So the 4/5 slot will go 3 deep at least and likely 4 if either Moore (more likely), Sjolund or Ogbondo shows they can play. We already know the wing spots are going to go at least 4 deep with Alvarado, DeVoe, Haywood and Phillips - and likely 5 with Alston getting some minutes.

I think we will have 8 rotation players with Alston and one big getting 5+ min.

Yeah I don’t think Gueye will get more than 25-28. He will have foul issues as well.

For his career Lammers averaged 1 foul for every 14 minutes played. Pretty incredible

AD averages 1 every 7 minutes played

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible for Cole to play minutes at 5 along with AD and Ves?

I thought I heard that, maybe like when AD and Ben were on the floor together?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ves is a huge ? I have him as a hope for 5 min per game.
Cole is likely the backup 5 at this point but admittedly speculation on my part. He may well be the starting 4. He is part of the pickem category.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Cole playing much at the 5. I think he'll be a 4 if any of AD, Sly, or Wright are also in there. The only real line up I could see with him at the 5 is him paired with Sjolund, and I don't think we'll see that combination much.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Is it possible for Cole to play minutes at 5 along with AD and Ves?

I thought I heard that, maybe like when AD and Ben were on the floor together?
He has been getting reps at the 3, 4, and 5. But if the season started today I would bet on him at the 4 with Gueye at the 5.

I would prefer for us to use a pace n' space line-up but that all depends on if we can get one(hopefully more) of Khalid Moore/Sjolund/Moses to step up. Would also depend on if we decide to play zone or are going up a big with skill, leading to AD guarding him on the block. It might look something like this:
Alvarado
Devoe
Haywood
Moore
Cole
--------------
Phillips
Gueye
Moses
Alston
Sjolund
Sly
*possible grad transfer*

I guess the good and bad thing about us right now is...our players are very interchangeable in the lineup. Good, because we have options. Bad, because we haven't had anyone step up and secure their spot. I feel confident someone will because they are ALL hitting the gym and weights hard. A lot is on social media but a lot is left off also. I feel confident if they keep this work ethic up the blue bloods will be on upset watch when they come to McCamish next year.