Linebacker speed or lack of is an issue

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t say this specifically about LB’s though. If anything he mentioned the DL. He said Domineck did decent and the only other young LB is Jackson, and I don’t even think he played a ton.

Henderson played
Thomas played

Deleted member 2897

I do know that, but prior to the injury he was still CO-starter. I’m looking for BJS to be head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe he’s not, or just not yet. An earlier poster mentioned his transition from RB, that very well could be it.

I suspect that’s what you’ll see when he’s healthy enough to return.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Henderson played
Thomas played
Thomas at stinger? I went and checked, he didn’t have any snaps. As far as Henderson CPJ said they rotated all those guys at OLB because they are getting what they want from that position yet, so that’s not a young thing, that’s an overall thing from that position. Even then Henderson, graded in the top 5 defensive guys and had 18 snaps. But, if you go back and read, CPJ said young guy but never related it to LB, if anything he mentioned the DL.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This game will fit Brant’s style of play better. USF’s spread ‘em out, playing in space, not as much.

I can’t see how BJS was unable to land an outright starting spot, he’s such an athlete, and it seems like we need him on the field as much as possible. Was there ever any discussion of using him off the edge at ‘Jack’ instead of in the middle?

Is the “jack” the player in this defense that can decide whether he needs to stay on the line and cover the run or drop into coverage to defend the pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thomas at stinger? I went and checked, he didn’t have any snaps. As far as Henderson CPJ said they rotated all those guys at OLB because they are getting what they want from that position yet, so that’s not a young thing, that’s an overall thing from that position. Even then Henderson, graded in the top 5 defensive guys and had 18 snaps. But, if you go back and read, CPJ said young guy but never related it to LB, if anything he mentioned the DL.
We are way too young on kickoff coverage!

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Is the “jack” the player in this defense that can decide whether he needs to stay on the line and cover the run or drop into coverage to defend the pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be thinking of the Stinger which is more of a hybrid safety played by Jalen Johnson, Christian Campbell, and Charlie Thomas.

The Jack is more of an aggressive edge rusher. Vic and Henderson (and maybe Dominick?) have been playing there. Here’s an article from earlier this year about the Jack:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.my...tor-alexander/I1Sd9aymrPouGtlyM0EMmN/amp.html

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of linebackers anybody have thoughts on Vic Alexander’s play so-far at the jack linebacker spot?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
With the way our defense looked compared to our offense without Benson, I think it's pretty safe to say he will stay on defense.

You may be right. I for sure don't know. But count me as one who thought if Benson was in the game in the second half we win.
Sometimes it is rational to just try to outscore everyone

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck