Linebacker speed or lack of is an issue

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
This game will fit Brant’s style of play better. USF’s spread ‘em out, playing in space, not as much.

I can’t see how BJS was unable to land an outright starting spot, he’s such an athlete, and it seems like we need him on the field as much as possible. Was there ever any discussion of using him off the edge at ‘Jack’ instead of in the middle?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This game will fit Brant’s style of play better. USF’s spread ‘em out, playing in space, not as much.

I can’t see how BJS was unable to land an outright starting spot, he’s such an athlete, and it seems like we need him on the field as much as possible. Was there ever any discussion of using him off the edge at ‘Jack’ instead of in the middle?

Remember he is learning how to play LB, he was a running back in HS until his senior year

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember he is learning how to play LB, he was a running back in HS until his senior year

Yeah, and I realize that and he very well may end up the starter before the end of the season. I just see him, based on his performance at times last year, as the type of player that we don’t currently have on the field and we desperately need. And of course, I know he’s been injured but I was hoping to see him separate himself prior to his injury. We need a few guys like that (Derrick Morgan or Morgan Burnett), who are just better than everyone else on our D. Both of those guys really took off in year 2. Maybe he won’t be like that, but we need somebody to be.

The move from running back could certainly slow his development, that’s a good point.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If I’m not mistaken he played LB early in high school and RB the rest of time. I’m not sure he even played Lb his senior year, and if he did might have been barely at all.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s been injured.

I do know that, but prior to the injury he was still CO-starter. I’m looking for BJS to be head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe he’s not, or just not yet. An earlier poster mentioned his transition from RB, that very well could be it.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Why isn't everyone up in arms that CPJ is playing our best BB at ILB?!

I'm kidding of course...but BJS would probably be our best BB if he ever wanted to play there. He's also going to be an incredible LB once he puts it all together.

Not gonna lie, that’s definitely crossed my mind. Just give him a few reps over there like Myles Jack did at UCLA. Kidding. Kinda. But I agree, he just needs to put it all together. We’ll see the 2018 version of BJS this weekend, hopefully.