Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think you can bank on a change happening if we don’t make a bowl game. Right now that looks very possible. So what do you all think we need if we are searching for a new coach. For me it’s easy, a young, energetic guy who can recruit and has a scheme players love. My top 3 are Lane Kiffin, Neal Brown and Seth Littrell
Two HUGE problems with this post:
  1. for financial reasons, I seriously doubt that CPJ is gone even if we go 4-8 this year. I think he gets one more year. (He just had his contract extended last off-season).
  2. Lane Kiffin? Dude, no. NO!

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
  1. for financial reasons, I seriously doubt that CPJ is gone even if we go 4-8 this year. I think he gets one more year. (He just had his contract extended last off-season).
Finances won’t be an issue. Hewitt comes off the books and I know there are some big donors willing to step up

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We’ve made a modest commitment to improve recruiting through adding staff. Unfortunately, there is no immediate payoff. Recruiting is built on relationships built over time. However, in our case, it also includes identifying a greater number of kids that both fit our very unique student profile and are athletic enough to consistently make plays on the field. There’s just not very many true scholar athletes out there.

A look into the future for me is seeing if we can make any headway in finding more of these unique individuals. We must do this to be successful regardless of who our coach is.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I agree but I'm not to sure he don't leave on his own after this season if we have less than 4 wins. I think he would before they fire him.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think you can bank on a change happening if we don’t make a bowl game. Right now that looks very possible. So what do you all think we need if we are searching for a new coach. For me it’s easy, a young, energetic guy who can recruit and has a scheme players love. My top 3 are Lane Kiffin, Neal Brown and Seth Littrell
I'm willing to let this season play out and see if CPJ can somehow, some way turn it around. But, if we do make a change at the end of the year, then I want either Neal Brown, Scott Satterfield, or Mike Houston.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
When I look into the future all I see is game week prep for the Clemson game.

Let’s worry about offseason moves in the offseason. Maybe we can worry about our record then too. After the games have been played and the scores have been settled.

If you have the money and influence to get time with the administration to talk about this type of stuff then by all means, start the conversation when you’re willing and able but this is a public message board filled with fans, players and family of the players. Maybe not the most productive place and timing for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe we can lessen our payout if we terminate him before the end of the season. Burn it down and then accept the fact that we are never going to be a destination job except possible for a Tech man (remember traitor Bill Curry however). If we accept that lets become like Houston where we will give a young coach a chance, watch him succeed, and them move on to the next young coach. My top three are Tony Elliott, Jeff Scott or Mel Tucker.

Does this conversation really matter. CPJ will retire at some point and he may take us to another Orange Bowl before he does. I have come to the realization over my 48 years of watching Tech Football, that no matter who is the coach, we are a 7-5 program. What CPJ has done is frankly out of character for us. Unless Tech decides to change it's academics and offer a true liberal arts degree, we are were we are at and you know what, I am ok with it because this is what makes us different than all the other football schools out there. This is what CPJ has done with his offense. We are the most feared offense in College football. Did you not hear yesterday that Pitt dedicates a part of every practice to us.

so who would be my pick..Jeff Monken.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
My top 10 head coaching Candidates for GT

Scott Satterfield Head Coach Appalachian State
Mike Houston Head Coach James Madison
John Grass Head Coach Jacksonville State
Neal Brown Head Coach Troy
John Candle Head Coach Toledo
Bob Neilson Head Coach South Dakota
John Stiegelmeier Head Coach South Dakota State
Josh Gattis Co-Offensive Coordinator Alabama
Mike Locksley Co-Offensive Coordinator Alabama
Ricky Rahne Offensive Coordinator Penn State

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If there is a change-which I am not proposing BTW- it needs to be someone with recruiting experience in the southeast and preferably lots of it in Georgia.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm willing to let this season play out and see if CPJ can somehow, some way turn it around. But, if we do make a change at the end of the year, then I want either Neal Brown, Scott Satterfield, or Mike Houston.

Same here, if he DOES turn it around it may be the greatest job of coaching he’s ever done

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Two things.

1. Who wants to come here will dictate who we can get.

2. If you fire CPJ you better have enough $$ to hire a head coach, an OC, a DC, and a whole new staff. Hiring a head coach and not having enough money to get them the staff to support is the worst thing to do. CPJ faced this when he was hired, so if you want “better” you are looking at millions of $$ beyond the head coach position.

I am as frustrated as everyone else, but if you can only hire a HC and not give them the staff they want we will be bottom fishing. It isn’t likely to bring more success than what we have now and we would be better off further investing in what we have now. I realize my opinion is not popular right now, but it is a realistic view of what is needed for the “change” everyone is advocating.

Last edited:

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely would be risky but his players love him and he is a great recruiter. I’d also say it’s very unlikely we’d go that route but to me he fits the criteria.
Yes he's such a great recruiter that he intentionally committed recruiting violations at Tennessee so that he could get his name out there. He actually said it in an interview. If he could not recruit at Tennessee why would you think he could recruit at Tech?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Two things.

2. If you fire CPJ you better have enough $$ to hire a head coach, an OC, a DC, and a whole new staff. Hiring a head coach and not having enough money to get them the staff to support is the worst thing to do. CPJ faced this when he was hired, so if you want “better” you are looking at millions of $$ beyond the head coach position.
Kind of like getting a divorce you better have the money or just plan to live in misery. ( pick one ) both suck