Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

No, it takes usually years for a QB to get acclimated to CPJ's system. Next year will hopefully be James Graham's team. Yeah I know - if it takes years, then why Graham? Well, JT's best year as QB was his first so there's that. Also, I think Graham might be 'special'.

To topic: I think this is a dumb move by Bryant, who's a twisted ankle away from being the starter on a championship-caliber team.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No, it takes usually years for a QB to get acclimated to CPJ's system. Next year will hopefully be James Graham's team. Yeah I know - if it takes years, then why Graham? Well, JT's best year as QB was his first so there's that. Also, I think Graham might be 'special'.

To topic: I think this is a dumb move by Bryant, who's a twisted ankle away from being the starter on a championship-caliber team.

He ain't thinking about a ring. He's thinking about the NFL and wants one more full year to showcase his talents. I think it's a smooth move and more power to him.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
With Kelly Bryant leaving Clemson with one year of eligibility remaining, do we go after him?
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-clemson-tigers-qb-kelly-bryant-says-transfer

With Kelly Bryant leaving Clemson with one year of eligibility remaining, do we go after him?
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-clemson-tigers-qb-kelly-bryant-says-transfer

I mean sure. But he wants a chance to go pro. I'm sure the kid thinks he can be an NFL qb because he was a starter at Clemson. Expect him to want to go to a decent D1 program that Is randomly in need for a qb. Think florida, FSU, WVU after Grier. He would work pretty well in this offense, but I highly doubt he would even consider and offense that won't give him the best option to be a NFL qb. I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he could be drafted in the first 4 rounds as a QB. These kids at bigger schools seem to think highly of themselves or because they are a product of a factory school that they will be a good draft pick.
Bryant would be a undrafted free agent with Hope's to develop into a decent backup QB, if you ask me. He's about average.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Wasn't 2014 JT's 3rd year?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I think it’s a smart move for Bryant if he wants the NFL. Let’s say Lawrence plays well and doesn’t get hurt, then Bryant’s chance at getting playing time is pretty much gone but in mop up duty. He’s not going to make the NFL that way imo.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
And, like I said, they would have been (probably) 3 star players taken as a project by other programs. We got them to Tech because we gave them a chance to play QB, pure and simple. We've done this sort of thing since the Dodd years; he specialized in getting quality players that most nobody else recruited for the positions they wanted to play.
He ain't thinking about a ring. He's thinking about the NFL and wants one more full year to showcase his talents. I think it's a smooth move and more power to him.

Hmmm. The dude is not going to the NFL. I view his move as selfish and I certainly wouldn't want to be led by an individual that quit on his team midway through the year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, if you want to think about a QB transferring in later this year the one to think about may be Jalen Hurts at AL. He has decided to stay there through the semester. Word is he is on schedule to graduate in Dec so if he stays and graduates he could transfer anywhere as a Grad Transfer and play immediately.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
A) I doubt he'd come here, or be able to come here unless it would be as a grad transfer (I have no idea what his academic standing is so maybe this is possible)
B) I strongly doubt Dabo would him to transfer to a conference rival.

It took some digging, but I was able to find out that he is a history major. I have both a BA and MA in History, and, while it does require some academic rigor (it ain't "General Studies" or "Sports Management"), I doubt he has the math classes to make it into Tech as a transfer (typically only requires basic college algebra to get a History degree)