Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Joe Hamilton was pretty heavily recruited, just not as a qb.

And uga wanted Shawn Jones as a db.
And, like I said, they would have been (probably) 3 star players taken as a project by other programs. We got them to Tech because we gave them a chance to play QB, pure and simple. We've done this sort of thing since the Dodd years; he specialized in getting quality players that most nobody else recruited for the positions they wanted to play.

northgajacket

Banned
And, like I said, they would have been (probably) 3 star players taken as a project by other programs. We got them to Tech because we gave them a chance to play QB, pure and simple. We've done this sort of thing since the Dodd years; he specialized in getting quality players that most nobody else recruited for the positions they wanted to play.

Yes and your point is?

It is called being a salesman. You find out what the customer (recruit) wants and sell them on your product. Btw Joe Ham would not have been a 3 star and I doubt Shawn Jones was lightly recruited considering the hs program he played for.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Yes, the same with JT. Bama offered him as a DB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ doesn't develop players very well. One thing CPJ-coached GT teams almost always do is turn over the ball in key situations. And miss tackles. And whiff on blocks. And miss PATs and FGs. In the case of our QB, he almost never pitches it and he's a senior. Why does CPJ keep letting him run the exact same QB Keeper play?

I'm not going to blame our SAs so that leaves CPJ - the one constant in all of this. 9 fumbles in one game isn't high-school offense, it's Jr. High offense. Yesterday was embarrassing. No kid who's watched is the past 2 years is going to be in a big hurry to come down here and play for CPJ. Tirades on the sidelines like yesterday's awful berating of DeFoors don't help either.

It's been 11 years and what will almost surely be 3 losing seasons in the past 4. 3 missed bowls in 4 years, in an age where 80 teams go bowling. I've seen enough to think that it's not going to get any better. I'm incredulous that there are fans that still think it will.

Dude Defoor jumped offsides on a frieking FG attempt that took us out of fg range. Almost any coach would have crawled his butt, including and especially St Nick.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Actually, that is sec spin. Saban offered JT as a QB and when he got the QB he wanted, he approached JT about a switch to DB. JT then took a recruiting trip to Tech. and the rest is history. Gospel according to JT.

Thanks for clarifying. I actually heard that from several commentators, which of course increases the probability that it was put out by the SEC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The only reason we lose to teams like USF, Pitt, etc. is the fact that we have no passing game. A one-dimensional running team, even as funky as ours, is infinitely more defensible than if we had any credible passing threat. For our offense, give me an average dual QB anytime over a good ABack in a QB’s jersey...
Do you truly believe the only reason we lost to USF is because we had no passing game?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It is weird to think that with decent special teams, Coach Johnson wouldn't be on such a hot seat. We would likely have gone bowling last year and be 2-2 right now. Special teams are just as important as everything else and unfortunately his inability to fix that issue might cost him his job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The only reason we lose to teams like USF, Pitt, etc. is the fact that we have no passing game. A one-dimensional running team, even as funky as ours, is infinitely more defensible than if we had any credible passing threat. For our offense, give me an average dual QB anytime over a good ABack in a QB’s jersey...

Johnson's show last night touched on this. Tech has the season high score against USF of any of their opponents. Letting them have two kick-off returns is what killed that game. Re Pitt, no offense in the 1H.

I do agree in general that our passing is pathetic.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson's show last night touched on this. Tech has the season high score against USF of any of their opponents. Letting them have two kick-off returns is what killed that game. Re Pitt, no offense in the 1H.

Isnt a guy named CPJ the one who said, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all be happy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So, we disagree and I do not accept your opinions. The academics side is a differentiator. A HUGE one. If you don't believe that, listen to the interviews of kids at SEC schools and then listen to the interviews of kids who go to GT.

I have come to the late conclusion that ... it is pointless to recruit in Georgia right now. And maybe ever during the Kirby era.

About 64% of our team comes from GA. And historically, Georgia has not produced students highly skilled in math and science. (Yes, there are exceptions ...). In my own experience, Alabama produces kids that can handle Tech from a) private schools and b) Huntsville ... where the city is dominated by engineering and military families. Everywhere else ... not so much.

Alabama recruits mainly OUTSIDE of Alabama today. Only 35% of Bama's roster call Alabama home.

In other words, while there is football talent in Georgia ... we aren't going to get it. And those we do get ... will probably struggle at Tech.

I am increasingly of the opinion that SA's that could do well at Tech are a) from other than Georgia, b) a technical or military family, c) private school, and ) have some life plan already figured out.

This is where Moneyball comes in. We need, in my opinion, a more robust recruiting approach than just the usual metrics. There are fifteen cities in the United States where 80% of the 5 star athletes come from. I might start here for a suitable list that meets the criteria above ....

I may have to kill a few weekends thinking about this.

RiseUpATL

Banned

I’m pretty tired of the excuses. Especially from CPJ. Who gives a crap that we have scored the most points against USF than any of their other FCS opponents? I care about having more points on the board when the clock strikes zero. This just shows that the guy only cares about his offense the fact that he is highlighting how many points it put up like that’s some sort of accomplishment.

No coach. It isn’t. It didnt get us win.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty tired of the excuses. Especially from CPJ. Who gives a crap that we have scored the most points against USF than any of their other FCS opponents? I care about having more points on the board when the clock strikes zero. This just shows that the guy only cares about his offense the fact that he is highlighting how many points it put up like that’s some sort of accomplishment.

No coach. It isn’t. It didnt get us win.

I'm not defending CPJ, but listening to his show it felt like he was saying, "We had them. We delivered the points to win but ... we shot ourselves in the foot with negative plays." I think that was the message.

I do agree with sentiment I've heard before here that ... Eleven years in, we should not be having the volume of "negative plays" and coaching mistakes that we seem to have.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It is weird to think that with decent special teams, Coach Johnson wouldn't be on such a hot seat. We would likely have gone bowling last year and be 2-2 right now. Special teams are just as important as everything else and unfortunately his inability to fix that issue might cost him his job.

It feels like his strategy is "If we get 600 yds offense, we're going to win our share of games." And that he has simplified everything down to TOP and Total Offense. And the safest way to generate those yards is running.

I never hear him talk about ST, defense (except when losing after generating the required 600 yds), etc.

northgajacket

Banned
It feels like his strategy is "If we get 600 yds offense, we're going to win our share of games." And that he has simplified everything down to TOP and Total Offense. And the safest way to generate those yards is running.

I never hear him talk about ST, defense (except when losing after generating the required 600 yds), etc.

The Paul Westhead of football.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The Paul Westhead of football.

From his speech last year:

"Finally: Johnson has long had a streak of, as younger people would say, wanting to stick it to the haters. Johnson said he was happy being Georgia Southern’s head coach, but took the Navy job to prove his offense could work at the FBS level. Then he took the Georgia Tech job to show his offense could work at the BCS level."