Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

GTFLETCH

Banned
What about Brent Key??? Anyone heard his name linked to " Goal is George Godsey and Geoff Collins" that Ibeballin leaked??

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Prior to the season, Bruce Feldman at The Athletic ranked the top 10 coaches looking to move up. His top 10 was Neal Brown (Troy HC), Mel Tucker (UGA DC), Ryan Day (OSU OC), Jimmy Lake (Washington Co-DC), Manny Diaz (Miami DC), Tony Elliot (Clemson Co-OC), Jeff Brohm (Purdue HC), Lane Kiffin (FAU HC), Scott Satterfield (App State HC), and Jason Candle (Toledo HC). Greg Schiano (OSU DC), Seth Littrell (North Texas HC), and Mike Norvell (Memphis HC) weren't far behind.

In the event that CPJ is fired (although I think it's unlikely), the other P5 programs we'd have to compete with for one of these names (or any others) would likely include UNC, Illinois, Kansas, Texas Tech, USC, Rutgers, and Colorado. I see people projecting Brown to Texas Tech due to general fit and I feel Satterfield would be interested in UNC given the simple geographical transition. The question is if any of the remaining coaches would opt for GT over the other job openings. Personally, I think Mike Norvell might be the best fit for GT with his run-centric spread offense (here's a nice write-up), but he's currently making $2.6 million, so we'd likely need to pay him more than what we're paying CPJ ($2.97 million) to lure him here. Definitely won't happen unless something drastic happens.

Godsey might actually be interesting. It'd actually be similar to Kliff Kingsbury getting hired at Texas Tech - former team QB from the late 90's and early 2000's, offensively minded, no head coaching experience, etc. I wonder if our experiment would work better.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Prior to the season, Bruce Feldman at The Athletic ranked the top 10 coaches looking to move up. His top 10 was Neal Brown (Troy HC), Mel Tucker (UGA DC), Ryan Day (OSU OC), Jimmy Lake (Washington Co-DC), Manny Diaz (Miami DC), Tony Elliot (Clemson Co-OC), Jeff Brohm (Purdue HC), Lane Kiffin (FAU HC), Scott Satterfield (App State HC), and Jason Candle (Toledo HC). Greg Schiano (OSU DC), Seth Littrell (North Texas HC), and Mike Norvell (Memphis HC) weren't far behind.

In the event that CPJ is fired (although I think it's unlikely), the other P5 programs we'd have to compete with for one of these names (or any others) would likely include UNC, Illinois, Kansas, Texas Tech, USC, Rutgers, and Colorado. I see people projecting Brown to Texas Tech due to general fit and I feel Satterfield would be interested in UNC given the simple geographical transition. The question is if any of the remaining coaches would opt for GT over the other job openings. Personally, I think Mike Norvell might be the best fit for GT with his run-centric spread offense (here's a nice write-up), but he's currently making $2.6 million, so we'd likely need to pay him more than what we're paying CPJ ($2.97 million) to lure him here. Definitely won't happen unless something drastic happens.

Godsey might actually be interesting. It'd actually be similar to Kliff Kingsbury getting hired at Texas Tech - former team QB from the late 90's and early 2000's, offensively minded, no head coaching experience, etc. I wonder if our experiment would work better.
Mike MacIntyre of Colorado would be an interesting hire for GT if he gets canned at Colorado. I could see Mike Norvell staying at Memphis for the time being.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've been doing some research the past few days, and thinking about a coaching candidate that would be a fit for GT, but also excite the fan base and future recruits. In my mind, a coaching candidate must have certain qualities in order make it at GT:

1. Have a scheme that gives GT an advantage on the field, but will also attract recruits.
2. The ability to adapt to the talent (given the new coach will have an option based group of players at first, AND injuries/recruiting restraints in the future).
3. Production must be above where we recruit. NO coach will make it at GT if they don't know how get the most out of talent.
4. Although age shouldn't be a factor, a coach must be able to relate to players/coaches/and fans. This is a guy that must lead young men, but also inspire future GT SAs.
5. Must be willing to work within the constraints of GT academics and athletic budget.

After doing some research, one guy stood out to me: Mike Yurcich - Oklahoma State OC

In the last 4 years, Yurcich's OFEI rankings:

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

Yurcich made tremendous improvements as his offense became ingrained at OK State over the last 4 years. Some will say: Well, OK State is easy to recruit to. This is where things get interesting. If you don't know, OK State is backed by T Boone Pickens (among others) who is a WEALTHY businessman. Naturally, the thought is that kind of money makes recruiting easy. Well, OK State really doesn't recruit all that differently from GT. Last 5 recruiting classes (according to 247):

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

The best recruiting class OK State has had was #27 in the last five years. For the most part, it's been in the 30's and 40's. Honestly, that's where GT should be. But, given that the average recruiting ranking is 36.6 (that's including defensive players), the output for the unit he's responsible for is pretty darn good, especially considering his offense is just now getting rooted. GT's average recruiting ranking the last 5 years is 52. If we can recruit the offensive side like we do the defensive, and I fully expect to if GT has an offense like Yurcich's, I think recruiting in the 30's and 40's should be routine.

Again, some might say OK State probably has a bigger budget, so it's easier there. Again, GT and OK State are VERY similar:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

GT has total revenues of $81+million, OK State $91+ million. Yurcich was just given what Oklahoma papers termed "massive" raise to $600K. GT can definitely afford him.

IMO, any offense at GT MUST have some type of option component. ALL 11 offensive players must be accounted for on every play. It helps tilt any defensive talent gap closer to GT's favor. Every successful offense at GT (Fridge's offense, CPJ's offense) has had an option component. Yurcich offense, though it tilts to passing, also includes option:

Although OK State likes to pass, they make running a priority. This year, they are ranked #19 overall in rushing offense. Also, Yurcich likes to spread the ball around:

https://okstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=23

• In 2017, Yurcich coordinated an Oklahoma State offense that became the first in Big 12 history with a 4,000-yard passer (Mason Rudolph), two 1,000-yard receivers (James Washington and Marcell Ateman) and a 1,000-yard rusher (Justice Hill).

• In 2016, the Oklahoma State offense was one of only two from Power Five conferences to produce a 4,000-yard passer (Mason Rudolph), a 1,000-yard rusher (Hill) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Washington).

What really sold me on Yurcich is this:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/255510020/oklahoma-state-offense-mike-yurcich-background

Shippensburg welcomed a departure from the Wing-T attack that had been successful in the past but stagnated late in Rees' run. So it was time for Yurcich and the spread, and he turned to a former high school spread QB named Zach Zulli to run it. When Zulli couldn't get on the field ahead of more experienced passers, he worked as a punt returner and backup running back and receiver. With the arrival of the spread, Zulli returned to quarterback.

It didn't take long for Zulli to develop a comfort with the new offense, and it eventually progressed to mastery. The playbook checked in at around 500 pages and 250 plays, but in action, it was simple to learn. Yurcich would teach by playing every position on the field, demonstrating to his players exactly what he wanted. Sometimes it was showing the quarterbacks the right footwork on a drop-back, teaching a running back how to make a jump cut more lethal, sharpening a receiver's dull route or even refining his offensive linemen's kick slides.

Yurcich had his eye on building the best offensive in Division II.

"It was so easy the way he explained it," Zulli said. "I didn't have to think on the field. If I knew one player was out of line or on the hash, I knew I was going to that side. I had to make one read. It was super easy."

Every week, Yurcich would draw up new plays or wrinkles for that specific opponent, growing his offense. Shippensburg started just 3-4 but closed the season with four consecutive wins. In 2012, it went 11-2 and Zulli won the Harlon Hill Trophy as the best player in Division II. Along the way, the team scored at least 49 points nine times.

"I had so much success because of everyone getting a chance," Zulli said. "Our entire offense was so good, everyone touched the ball, everyone had fun."

The guy is a teacher. He's out there on his hands and knees teaching his guys what he wants, and how he wants it. On top of that, it's an offense that players love, and it's easy on the eyes for fans. He develops talent. Players are making a marked improvement from game 1 to game 12, from year 1 to year 4.

Given his background at a very small school, he knows how to look for "diamonds in the rough" and recruit to his system. Let's face it, at GT, you have to have the ability to look for players other schools may overlook. But I think it will actually be a LOT easier for him to recruit to GT than OK State given how loaded the state is with offensive players (especially QBs/WRs/RBs) and how friendly his system is for offensive players.

In terms of academics, I think that takes care of itself. What I mean is, a coach will know GT's constraints, and he will have a very good academic department backing him. Let's be honest, it's not CPJ at academic hall every day pushing pencils and punching calculators with the players.

Anyhow, just one candidate out there. On to Candidate #2...

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've been doing some research the past few days, and thinking about a coaching candidate that would be a fit for GT, but also excite the fan base and future recruits. In my mind, a coaching candidate must have certain qualities in order make it at GT:

1. Have a scheme that gives GT an advantage on the field, but will also attract recruits.
2. The ability to adapt to the talent (given the new coach will have an option based group of players at first, AND injuries/recruiting restraints in the future).
3. Production must be above where we recruit. NO coach will make it at GT if they don't know how get the most out of talent.
4. Although age shouldn't be a factor, a coach must be able to relate to players/coaches/and fans. This is a guy that must lead young men, but also inspire future GT SAs.
5. Must be willing to work within the constraints of GT academics and athletic budget.

After doing some research, one guy stood out to me: Mike Yurcich - Oklahoma State OC

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

Yurcich made tremendous improvements as his offense became ingrained at OK State over the last 4 years. Some will say: Well, OK State is easy to recruit to. This is where things get interesting. If you don't know, OK State is backed by T Boone Pickens (among others) who is a WEALTHY businessman. Naturally, the thought is that kind of money makes recruiting easy. Well, OK State really doesn't recruit all that differently from GT. Last 5 recruiting classes (according to 247):

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

The best recruiting class OK State has had was #27 in the last five years. For the most part, it's been in the 30's and 40's. Honestly, that's where GT should be. But, given that the average recruiting ranking is 36.6 (that's including defensive players), the output for the unit he's responsible for is pretty darn good, especially considering his offense is just now getting rooted. GT's average recruiting ranking the last 5 years is 52. If we can recruit the offensive side like we do the defensive, and I fully expect to if GT has an offense like Yurcich's, I think recruiting in the 30's and 40's should be routine.

Again, some might say OK State probably has a bigger budget, so it's easier there. Again, GT and OK State are VERY similar:

GT has total revenues of $81+million, OK State $91+ million. Yurcich was just given what Oklahoma papers termed "massive" raise to $600K. GT can definitely afford him.

IMO, any offense at GT MUST have some type of option component. ALL 11 offensive players must be accounted for on every play. It helps tilt any defensive talent gap closer to GT's favor. Every successful offense at GT (Fridge's offense, CPJ's offense) has had an option component. Yurcich offense, though it tilts to passing, also includes option:

Although OK State likes to pass, they make running a priority. This year, they are ranked #19 overall in rushing offense. Also, Yurcich likes to spread the ball around:

• In 2017, Yurcich coordinated an Oklahoma State offense that became the first in Big 12 history with a 4,000-yard passer (Mason Rudolph), two 1,000-yard receivers (James Washington and Marcell Ateman) and a 1,000-yard rusher (Justice Hill).

• In 2016, the Oklahoma State offense was one of only two from Power Five conferences to produce a 4,000-yard passer (Mason Rudolph), a 1,000-yard rusher (Hill) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Washington).

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/255510020/oklahoma-state-offense-mike-yurcich-background

Shippensburg welcomed a departure from the Wing-T attack that had been successful in the past but stagnated late in Rees' run. So it was time for Yurcich and the spread, and he turned to a former high school spread QB named Zach Zulli to run it. When Zulli couldn't get on the field ahead of more experienced passers, he worked as a punt returner and backup running back and receiver. With the arrival of the spread, Zulli returned to quarterback.

It didn't take long for Zulli to develop a comfort with the new offense, and it eventually progressed to mastery. The playbook checked in at around 500 pages and 250 plays, but in action, it was simple to learn. Yurcich would teach by playing every position on the field, demonstrating to his players exactly what he wanted. Sometimes it was showing the quarterbacks the right footwork on a drop-back, teaching a running back how to make a jump cut more lethal, sharpening a receiver's dull route or even refining his offensive linemen's kick slides.

"It was so easy the way he explained it," Zulli said. "I didn't have to think on the field. If I knew one player was out of line or on the hash, I knew I was going to that side. I had to make one read. It was super easy."

Every week, Yurcich would draw up new plays or wrinkles for that specific opponent, growing his offense. Shippensburg started just 3-4 but closed the season with four consecutive wins. In 2012, it went 11-2 and Zulli won the Harlon Hill Trophy as the best player in Division II. Along the way, the team scored at least 49 points nine times.

"I had so much success because of everyone getting a chance," Zulli said. "Our entire offense was so good, everyone touched the ball, everyone had fun."

The guy is a teacher. He's out there on his hands and knees teaching his guys what he wants, and how he wants it. On top of that, it's an offense that players love, and it's easy on the eyes for fans. He develops talent. Players are making a marked improvement from game 1 to game 12, from year 1 to year 4.

Given his background at a very small school, he knows how to look for "diamonds in the rough" and recruit to his system. Let's face it, at GT, you have to have the ability to look for players other schools may overlook. But I think it will actually be a LOT easier for him to recruit to GT than OK State given how loaded the state is with offensive players (especially QBs/WRs/RBs) and how friendly his system is for offensive players.

In terms of academics, I think that takes care of itself. What I mean is, a coach will know GT's constraints, and he will have a very good academic department backing him. Let's be honest, it's not CPJ at academic hall every day pushing pencils and punching calculators with the players.

Awesome review. I could be on board with this.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

I like the way you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

Washington OC and former Atlanta Falcons QB Coach Bush Hamdan would be an interesting possibility.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article209376409.html

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

Bro that’s thorough.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

Here is the difference and why we have problems;
The guy is a teacher. He's out there on his hands and knees teaching his guys what he wants, and how he wants it.
Who do we have that does this ? ( honest question )

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

great post - needs to be a Thread OP.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

2017 - #2
2016 - #23
2015 - #34
2014 - #78

2018 - #33
2017 - #38
2016 - #45
2015 - #40
2014 - #27

The major difference between OSU and Tech is that OSU can accept anyone who meets NCAA minimums and have no problems keeping their APR good. OKSU's acceptance rate is > 75 percent and they retain almost all of those thru graduation. It's a lot easier to recruit when you don't have to rule out 3/4 of the athletes before you begin.

The APR requirement is the biggest difference between the current college football environment and our runs in the 90s.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope CPJ and the team turn things around, and that there's ample reason for CPJ to stay (and be retained) at Tech. That said . . .

Given the apparent interest in this thread re Mike Yurcich (now getting $800K as OC) at OK State, how can that be? Before his time at OK State, Yurcich coached primarily at NAIA and NCAA Div. 2 programs! Didn't Mike Gundy know that the Laws of Football are entirely different between FBS schools and non-FBS programs? Yurcich's success at OK State must be fictional, mythical, in the eyes of some fans. ;)

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Re: Yurcich
1) OkSt fans hate him, they feel his play calling is trash

2) Todd Monken is the only Gundy OC who really amounted to anything, and that was only one good season at Southern Mississippi. Fedora is trash and Holgerson is underachieving at WVU in a weak conference. He isn't trash like Fedora, but one bowl win since his OB against Clemson when they were still in the BigEast is way below where WVU should be.

I just talked to a mutt fan who heard from another mutt fan who claimed to have read on a Tech blog (no idea which one) on which someone (or maybe more than one) suggested Butch Jones to succeed Johnson. I literally laughed in his face. That is by far the stupidest suggestion I have ever heard. WOW Just to be clear, the mutt who told me this thought it was STUPID also and couldn't believe that Butch would even be talked about, much less considered or hired.