Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...y-index-usc-rutgers-florida-state/1328224002/

Georgia Tech: Since the Misery Index came into existence several years ago, the Yellow Jackets have landed on this list from time to time. The fundamental tension in the program practically lends itself to that. Paul Johnson will adamantly claim he’s overachieved thanks to his triple-option offense at a school with tough academics that hasn’t always had a strong financial commitment to football. Johnson’s detractors say he wouldn’t have to overachieve if he were more effective at procuring talent and that the ceiling should be higher on a program located in the middle of one of the three best metropolitan areas for recruiting in the country. That debate has simmered through some ups and downs, but Johnson won the argument by guiding Tech to four ACC title game appearances in his first seven years. Not all arguments are final, however. Johnson is in the midst of a bad dry spell: Seven losses in his last nine games against FBS teams, seven straight losses away from home and potentially a third season in his last four without a bowl bid unless Tech can turn things around quickly. With a reasonable buyout of $4 million, more and more Georgia Tech fans are saying they’ve had enough.

Cool. We made the national press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've never gotten on the "Fire CPJ train". When you fire a pretty good coach, most of the time the next coach isn't as good. UT, UF, USC... have all the resources in the world and can't find a great coach.

What I've said before when people got on the "Fire CPJ train":

If you think we can fire him and upgrade, name the coach(es) that...
  • Doesn't run the 3O
  • Is available
  • We can afford
  • Will come to GT
  • Can raise our recruiting rankings significantly
  • Coach up those recruits well enough to beat Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT
  • Coach the game well enough to beat Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT
  • Will stay more than a few years
  • Keep our APR on track
  • Not get us NCAA sanctions
  • Win bigger than CPJ (ACC championship and Orange Bowl victory)
That said, the last 3+ seasons have crept below the CCG "Mendoza" line. The italicized bullets are no longer entirely relevant (couldn't figure our how to strikethrough). I'm also getting disgusted with his tendency to blame/callout players when things go wrong. Mediocre would be an upgrade at this point. We're not in the middle looking up at Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT right now. We're on the bottom, looking up at Duke, Pitt and UVa. The list of coaches that could outperform and get 8+ wins per year at GT is short. The list that can win 6+ is a good deal longer. My 1st choice would be for CPJ to turn things around. But, missing a bowl 3/4 seasons would be entirely unacceptable.

This is what concerns me. UT hired Butch Jones and he was their 8th choice. Seven candidates turned them down. With the recent trend, I'm not sure who we could get that would want the job unless as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what concerns me. UT hired Butch Jones and he was their 8th choice. Seven candidates turned them down. With the recent trend, I'm not sure who we could get that would want the job unless as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

Even then, if a coach is looking for a stepping stone, is Tech really a good option? If I'm an agent, I'd recommend my client take a job with fewer restrictions and/or lower expectations. Seems like UCF, USF, MTSU, App State, the Mississippi schools, etc are better auditions for a factory job than trying to break through at Tech. Especially if you're inheriting a 10+ win program from the guy that just got the F$U job. I Love Tech. But our coaching job is a tough job.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Even then, if a coach is looking for a stepping stone, is Tech really a good option? If I'm an agent, I'd recommend my client take a job with fewer restrictions and/or lower expectations. Seems like UCF, USF, MTSU, App State, the Mississippi schools, etc are better auditions for a factory job than trying to break through at Tech. Especially if you're inheriting a 10+ win program from the guy that just got the F$U job. I Love Tech. But our coaching job is a tough job.

I originally thought that the money we would be willing to spend on a coach would limit us to one on his way up or one on his way out. After your points above, I think we will have to find one who is looking for his last coaching job. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
O'Leary used it to get the Notre Dame job (and blew it with his Resume, but he got it). Ralph used it to go from OC of the year to a major head coaching job at his alma mater. Curry went to Alabama. Ross went to the NFL and the Superbowl. Bill O'Brien went to Penn State and to Houston after being a coordinator here. CPJ has put coaches all over the country. So, yeah, it can be a springboard.
Gailey is the one so far who didn't use this job well, either to stay or to improve his position.

Charlie Strong would be stupid to leave USF,for the first time in his career he's in a comfortable situation;)

I think he'll go to a bigger money program, but not here. I don't think USF can pay what the market will bear for him.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d like to see Scott Satterfield

What I really hope for is that CPJ and the team rebound to at least .500 this year, and improve on that next year. But if that doesn't work out, then Satterfield would be an intriguing choice, all the more so to retain Woody (assuming the defense shows signs of "getting it"). And if there's a profound anti-spread option, anti-QB-under-center sentiment -- something I don't have -- then an interesting choice to consider for OC would be Bob Stitt, currently an offensive analyst at Oklahoma State. Before that, Stitt was HC at Montana with a 21-14 record over three seasons, and before that, HC at Div. 2 Colorado School of the Mines, (hence some familiarity with recruiting to an academically tough school) with a 108-62 record over 15 years.

A couple of links re Stitt:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_14fb5c8d-9612-584d-9e72-c748d4b48d6f.html

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...dy-spencer-sanders-cowboys-osu-pokes-football

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
What I really hope for is that CPJ and the team rebound to at least .500 this year, and improve on that next year. But if that doesn't work out, then Satterfield would be an intriguing choice, all the more so to retain Woody (assuming the defense shows signs of "getting it"). And if there's a profound anti-spread option, anti-QB-under-center sentiment -- something I don't have -- then an interesting choice to consider for OC would be Bob Stitt, currently an offensive analyst at Oklahoma State. Before that, Stitt was HC at Montana with a 21-14 record over three seasons, and before that, HC at Div. 2 Colorado School of the Mines, (hence some familiarity with recruiting to an academically tough school) with a 108-62 record over 15 years.

A couple of links re Stitt:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_14fb5c8d-9612-584d-9e72-c748d4b48d6f.html

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...dy-spencer-sanders-cowboys-osu-pokes-football

If the Tulsa World says it, I’m buying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I originally thought that the money we would be willing to spend on a coach would limit us to one on his way up or one on his way out. After your points above, I think we will have to find one who is looking for his last coaching job. [emoji52]

I think this is the reality. We either will get an unproven coordinator making the leap to HC, a lower tier HC trying to move up to a bigger program, or a failed HC looking to land his last job before retirement. I wouldn't mind having an NFL coach who wants to hang out for a 5-6 years until retirement ... but might be hard to come by. Again, I look at the TN situation and NOBODY wanted that job and regardless of the situation, it's a pretty good gig.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
10 years prior to saban, bama won 67 games I think. Less than 7 / year.

They also have a lifetime winning percentage of 73% along with 26 conference championships. It was the Dark Ages you refer to that lead some alumni to take drastic action and "Get Saban". Alabama has drive to win ... it might always do that ... but you have to love the attitude that "We are here to win National Championships".

GTFLETCH

Banned
MMQB was discussing candidates for college HC jobs from the Pros. Godsey was one of them. (from 2016)
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/28/nfl-china-international-series-london-mexico

"Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey: Godsey spent his first seven years coaching at UCF under George O’Leary, who he played for at Georgia Tech. Also, the Texans OC helped Bill O’Brien find Christian Hackenberg during O’Brien’s transition from New England to Penn State. Godsey has a future as a head coach somewhere, so it’s conceivable that colleges would call this year."

By any metric you look at, you would say NO he isn't ready. Only two years at the coordinator level and now he's a QB coach. We only know his name becuase he played here. You never know he could be great...the goose is unproven, however is recruiting can't be worse than our last five years....Who Knows... I say I liked the George O'leary days lets give Goose a shot... George Godsey as teh next Georgia Tech football Coach

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
IF we did hire a coach that was so successful he left after 3 years - so what!!!?

That would simply prove to a bigger list of candidates what could happen here.

We keep coming up with excuses for why we CAN'T do things. Losers mentality.

Imagine telling a candidate - " well, Coach ...... won big here. Why don't you think you can?"

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
O'Leary used it to get the Notre Dame job (and blew it with his Resume, but he got it). Ralph used it to go from OC of the year to a major head coaching job at his alma mater. Curry went to Alabama. Ross went to the NFL and the Superbowl. Bill O'Brien went to Penn State and to Houston after being a coordinator here. CPJ has put coaches all over the country. So, yeah, it can be a springboard.
Gailey is the one so far who didn't use this job well, either to stay or to improve his position.

I was specifically responding to the idea of someone wanting our HC job "as a stepping stone for somewhere else". O'Leary came here as a DL coach and worked up the ladder DL> DC> iHC> HC. Curry was an NFL OL coach and a former Tech player. Also, a very different era for the coaching business. The other guys were assistants/coordinators who got other jobs, which happens anywhere.

I don't think GT is attractive to a G5/FCS HC or a P5 coordinator specifically as a "stepping stone" job. It CAN be one if you're successful here. But, it's been 27 years since a HC here successfully moved on next to a better job (~20 if you give Tech full credit for O'Leary @ ND). Of the reasons to take the HC job here, using it as a stepping stone probably isn't high on the list.

slugboy

Staff member
I was specifically responding to the idea of someone wanting our HC job "as a stepping stone for somewhere else". O'Leary came here as a DL coach and worked up the ladder DL> DC> iHC> HC. Curry was an NFL OL coach and a former Tech player. Also, a very different era for the coaching business. The other guys were assistants/coordinators who got other jobs, which happens anywhere.

I don't think GT is attractive to a G5/FCS HC or a P5 coordinator specifically as a "stepping stone" job. It CAN be one if you're successful here. But, it's been 27 years since a HC here successfully moved on next to a better job (~20 if you give Tech full credit for O'Leary @ ND). Of the reasons to take the HC job here, using it as a stepping stone probably isn't high on the list.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's just two coaches ago. We gave both of the last three coaches pretty long tenures, so that's a point in our favor. I'd say we're somewhere between a destination coaching school and an intermediate one. I'm sure we're a top 50 school, and maybe a top 35 one. We should be better than that, and will be once basketball is going again.