Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I've never gotten on the "Fire CPJ train". When you fire a pretty good coach, most of the time the next coach isn't as good. UT, UF, USC... have all the resources in the world and can't find a great coach.

What I've said before when people got on the "Fire CPJ train":

If you think we can fire him and upgrade, name the coach(es) that...
  • Doesn't run the 3O
  • Is available
  • We can afford
  • Will come to GT
  • Can raise our recruiting rankings significantly
  • Coach up those recruits well enough to beat Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT
  • Coach the game well enough to beat Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT
  • Will stay more than a few years
  • Keep our APR on track
  • Not get us NCAA sanctions
  • Win bigger than CPJ (ACC championship and Orange Bowl victory)
That said, the last 3+ seasons have crept below the CCG "Mendoza" line. The italicized bullets are no longer entirely relevant (couldn't figure our how to strikethrough). I'm also getting disgusted with his tendency to blame/callout players when things go wrong. Mediocre would be an upgrade at this point. We're not in the middle looking up at Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT right now. We're on the bottom, looking up at Duke, Pitt and UVa. The list of coaches that could outperform and get 8+ wins per year at GT is short. The list that can win 6+ is a good deal longer. My 1st choice would be for CPJ to turn things around. But, missing a bowl 3/4 seasons would be entirely unacceptable.

I think this is a really good post. If we do miss a bowl this year (and, yes, that is still an "if" despite some having given up already), I will not strongly oppose moving on from CPJ. If for no other reason, than I think the fan base could be irreparably split. That said, I also have some serious doubts that the next coach will be an upgrade. It could be, but I think there is just as strong, if not stronger, possibility that the next six years could be like the six years that followed Hewitt.

Hewitt definitely seemed to be trending down, and I think his firing made sense. But the program was cash strapped, we settled for a backup coach in Gregory, and have been stuck in mediocrity to worse since then. We still have not reached the heights of Hewitt's second to last season since. We had one okay season with Pastner in 2016-2017, and I am hopeful that we can finally get it turned around in year 8 post-Hewitt next year, but I could easily see a similar situation playing out in football.

We don't have a ton of money for a proven coach, we are not the most desirable place to coach to begin with, and the new coach would have to know that he was likely to struggle for at least a couple years transitioning to a new offense. I could easily see us getting our 4th choice coach, him failing after four years like Gregory, us firing him and getting our 3rd choice coach, and then just hoping he can succeed. Doesn't make me particularly optimistic : (

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Charlie is a defensive guy and his defense at USF is not very good. He has a guy who was the #2 dual threat QB out of highschool and other guys like Darnell Solomon who was a 4Star guy with a criminal past. He isn't going to get transfer and JUCO and character issue guys like that to build a program around at GT. He has done well in the Big East/AAC at Louisville and USF because he lands a big time QB and some 4 star guys and beats up everyone else, it's a big reason he flopped so hard at Texas I think.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a really good post. If we do miss a bowl this year (and, yes, that is still an "if" despite some having given up already), I will not strongly oppose moving on from CPJ. If for no other reason, than I think the fan base could be irreparably split. That said, I also have some serious doubts that the next coach will be an upgrade. It could be, but I think there is just as strong, if not stronger, possibility that the next six years could be like the six years that followed Hewitt.

Hewitt definitely seemed to be trending down, and I think his firing made sense. But the program was cash strapped, we settled for a backup coach in Gregory, and have been stuck in mediocrity to worse since then. We still have not reached the heights of Hewitt's second to last season since. We had one okay season with Pastner in 2016-2017, and I am hopeful that we can finally get it turned around in year 8 post-Hewitt next year, but I could easily see a similar situation playing out in football.

We don't have a ton of money for a proven coach, we are not the most desirable place to coach to begin with, and the new coach would have to know that he was likely to struggle for at least a couple years transitioning to a new offense. I could easily see us getting our 4th choice coach, him failing after four years like Gregory, us firing him and getting our 3rd choice coach, and then just hoping he can succeed. Doesn't make me particularly optimistic : (

My thoughts exactly. I think that we will experience a minimum of two years of misery after CPJ leaves, regardless of when he leaves, because of the transition from the current O to something else. I thought at one time we might hire a coach that runs a similar offense but I think this would be a hard idea to sell to the fans and donors right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
SEWAK!

This is how we, if need be, get CPJ to resign.

Tell him he has to replace sewak.

He would retire, jump of the Tower, cry himself insane, or get fired for just cause by not following his superiors directives.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Goose comes
Young offensive mind and can bring Friedgen down as OC co HC.

Win Win Win

Good for alum. Good for recruiting. Good for the Brand.

Buzz*The*Plumber

Jolly Good Fellow
Goose comes
Young offensive mind and can bring Friedgen down as OC co HC.

Win Win Win

Good for alum. Good for recruiting. Good for the Brand.
Friedgen is too old for that. But I am intrigued by Godsey possibility. Recruiting prowess is a must, though

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Do people really want to gamble with a complete unknown for the next coach? I'm not attacking anyone I am actually serious. If CPJ is fired it means we had a losing season this year. That would be 3 out of the last 4. If we get a Dooley or something worse and dig ourselves into a huge hole we are going to be the new Kansas.